I'm one of those lazy .gov leaches that everyone likes to hate on these days...

Haha. Are you one of those lazy Union leaches too, like myself? If so, i really feel sorry you're getting it double!

I'm an IBEW Apprentice Journeyman Lineman. The most exciting and rewarding work i've ever been involved with.

<--

I got my grandpas old pole climbing gear. Pretty slick setup. I used it to climb a big ass tree a while back to see how good it worked. I was suprised for it being 35+ yr. old.

LOL. Thin bark? Tree climbing gaffs are about 2-3 times as long as pole climbing gaffs, to get thru thick bark. Be careful doing that.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i work for the batf collecting intel. on social networking sites.

I don't do anything important anymore, but I used work for American Airlines (Eagle). When I was 24, I was Director of Materials and ran the west coast purchasing and spare parts operation with a 50

Me? I'm embarking on a new mission as of today actually.... Gunsmith and designer at a local gun shop, doing the best Saiga conversions and custom tuned / built AKs in my whole state. OOorah!

Posted Images

I design roof and floor trusses for my hometown truss manufacturing plant. Look at plans from Architects and Engineers, input the buildings and start laying out the floors/roof per their intent or what will work. I usually end up doing some engineering work by sizing wood beams, etc. It requires the ability to visualize 3D objects, and I stay busy working on 2 computer monitors all day and have to be a good problem solver. I design anywhere from 1.6-2.5 million dollars worth a year, around TX, LA, AR, MS, OK, TN, AL, FL and every now and then states further than that. I will say TX keeps me busy (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Tyler).

I got this job after graduating in Construction Management in August of 2007, which I flew thru the 4 yr degree in 2 years going straight thru with a really full load.

Previous job - Combat Engineer/Infantry "Infanteer" in the Army (full time). Awesome job, not really ever a dull moment, and where else can you shoot "free" bullets and blow stuff up! Served 5 yrs. 4 months (4 yr enlistment + stop loss), 1 yr. in S. Korea, 6 months in Kuwait (right after 9-11, landed there on Thanksgiving Day), 14.5 months in Iraq (Jan. 04-Mar. 05). Saw how frequent the long deployments where going to be and decided it is not a good life having family. Overall a wonderfully experience, and lots of great stories!

Here's one good story that was actually published about one of our patrols: http://www.stripes.com/news/it-wasn-t-supposed-to-go-like-this-1.19405

I still have a few years to use what's left of my GI Bill, so really thinking about going back to school for either a Civil Eng. or Mechanical Eng. degree. Leaning towards Mech if I go back.

• Like 1

Ex Military (10 years)... now a building inspector and I love it. I own my own company, and I couldn't be happier.

I design roof and floor trusses for my hometown truss manufacturing plant. Look at plans from Architects and Engineers, input the buildings and start laying out the floors/roof per their intent or what will work. I usually end up doing some engineering work by sizing wood beams, etc. It requires the ability to visualize 3D objects, and I stay busy working on 2 computer monitors all day and have to be a good problem solver. I design anywhere from 1.6-2.5 million dollars worth a year, around TX, LA, AR, MS, OK, TN, AL, FL and every now and then states further than that. I will say TX keeps me busy (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Tyler).

I got this job after graduating in Construction Management in August of 2007, which I flew thru the 4 yr degree in 2 years going straight thru with a really full load.

Previous job - Combat Engineer/Infantry "Infanteer" in the Army (full time). Awesome job, not really ever a dull moment, and where else can you shoot "free" bullets and blow stuff up! Served 5 yrs. 4 months (4 yr enlistment + stop loss), 1 yr. in S. Korea, 6 months in Kuwait (right after 9-11, landed there on Thanksgiving Day), 14.5 months in Iraq (Jan. 04-Mar. 05). Saw how frequent the long deployments where going to be and decided it is not a good life having family. Overall a wonderfully experience, and lots of great stories!

Here's one good story that was actually published about one of our patrols: http://www.stripes.com/news/it-wasn-t-supposed-to-go-like-this-1.19405

I still have a few years to use what's left of my GI Bill, so really thinking about going back to school for either a Civil Eng. or Mechanical Eng. degree. Leaning towards Mech if I go back.

12 Bravo... combat engineer. Ft Lost-In-The-Woods. Been there, done that old buddy!

• Like 1
Ex Military (10 years)... now a building inspector and I love it. I own my own company, and I couldn't be happier.

12 Bravo... combat engineer. Ft Lost-In-The-Woods. Been there, done that old buddy!

It really was a great job! It got even better after getting to Ft. Hood and them giving us Bradley's, a lot better than the 113's. Nothing better than sending multiple 25mm down range during Gunnery (except maybe tank or A-10)!

I'm currently a design engineer for a place that does engineered tube bends for places like caterpillar and cummins. I started out as a welder and a fabricator and got tired of working my butt off. So I got the bright idea of going back to school. Got my degree and and things looked promising for a little bit. Went from a shop guy to the engineering coordinator at my previous place in less than two years. Then the economy tanked, thinks went south and they closed my division. Started this new job making a lot less and now I struggle to make the payments for the education that was suppose to make me more.......thinking of a career change because there is nothing around here anymore. I want to open a indoor range. We could use one where I live and I'd love doing it. Anybody know what I need to do to get one going?

I'm currently a design engineer for a place that does engineered tube bends for places like caterpillar and cummins. I started out as a welder and a fabricator and got tired of working my butt off. So I got the bright idea of going back to school. Got my degree and and things looked promising for a little bit. Went from a shop guy to the engineering coordinator at my previous place in less than two years. Then the economy tanked, thinks went south and they closed my division. Started this new job making a lot less and now I struggle to make the payments for the education that was suppose to make me more.......thinking of a career change because there is nothing around here anymore. I want to open a indoor range. We could use one where I live and I'd love doing it. Anybody know what I need to do to get one going?

I would contact a local ATF office in your state, and ask them!

I would contact a local ATF office in your state, and ask them!

Thanks I will try that. Anyone else know anything about starting one?

I do engineering to support the production line of the biggest purpose built business jets. Deal with any thing from blown rivet holes, avionics issues, even screws that are the wrong color (for $65 million the gray better all match).

Its entertaining, pays the bills, and gives me gun/beer money.

I'm one of those lazy .gov leaches that everyone likes to hate on these days...

Haha. Are you one of those lazy Union leaches too, like myself? If so, i really feel sorry you're getting it double!

I'm an IBEW Apprentice Journeyman Lineman. The most exciting and rewarding work i've ever been involved with.

<--

I got my grandpas old pole climbing gear. Pretty slick setup. I used it to climb a big ass tree a while back to see how good it worked. I was suprised for it being 35+ yr. old.

LOL. Thin bark? Tree climbing gaffs are about 2-3 times as long as pole climbing gaffs, to get thru thick bark. Be careful doing that.

Yeah I learned that the hard way. I went up it fairly easy, but coming down was a bit interesting to say the least. haha.gif

Well, if you use them again....don't stab into the tree on your way down, just lock your knee and let your weight push the gaff in. Basically just fall into it. Coming down is more dangerous then going up.

Edited by Mullet Man

Repo Man - 6 years total with 2 different companies

Bouncer - Moonlighted for about 8 years

Mortgage Broker - 1 year (hated it)

Union Welder/Pipefitter - 8 years and counting, should have started out of high school

• Like 2