Reusing stock "sporter" trigger

I've got a saiga .308. I got everything off and out. My wood stock and handguard fitted. I'm trying to do the full ak conversion as cheap as I can by reusing parts like the trigger. I removed the elongated sheet metal trigger and now I plan to weld a new "trigger" to the old stock trigger "base" for lack of better word. Has this been done by another cheapO as myself?

I also plan to make a lower handguard retainer.

I'm talking about the actual trigger. I'm going to try to reuse the old trigger. I removed the elongated sporter trigger and I'm going to shape a new trigger and weld it onto the bottom of the "trigger body" is what I'm calling the trigger without the actual part you pull. It's just the part with the hook and axel hole and disconnector. I also of course plan on reusing the trigger guard. Like I said I'm trying to have the cheapest conversion out there. By the way any one know the cheapest someone has do a full conversion handguards and all??

Depending on what you plan on using besides the newly altered trigger you may have issues with 922r. Make sure your parts count is up to par with 922r, then worry about if you can run your home-made trigger. I don't think it would have an issue running, but I have yet to see someone actually try that. Hell if its that much of a money savings for you I probably have a spare trigger laying around here somewhere. If I do I'll post up and you can have it

EDIT: OK, sorry, the only spare trigger I have is my Norinco stock one, and I gotta hold onto that. I do have a modified spare hammer to fit the 308, since I used the Chinese hammer in the Norinco (it works nicer than the Tapco) if you need a hammer, I can give ya that.

Edited by VR6Shooter

Hell yea I'll take it. Like I said

My goal is to do it as cheap as possible. And I should be fine on the bull shit

922r. I'll have a us pistol grip and any mag would be us made so thats 4 parts. And actually if I make the trigger it would be US made right? It doesn't matter where the metal

Came from does it.

Plus I'll mostly be running 10 round mags. Another thing I was thinking about is the trigger and safety interaction on these parts is spot on if I change either I'll

Have to worry about the safety work properly and I don't really

Like that. I think I'll do it just to say I did and

Since no one else has came forward saying they have done it I'll claim to be the first. Also

I'll be able to make a flat trigger and maybe make it Skeltonized.

Yes, the trigger engagement by the safety can be an issue with the G2 and other AK safeties that have not been altered with the extended bumps on the rear of the trigger. Running the stock stuff will save you the worry about that, I am not sure how a G2 hammer will run in the Saiga trigger though, I never had the pleasure of trying that combo out. Also, keep in mind, round count isn't the 922r issue, it is the conversion away from sporter. So the second you change to pistol grip config, you need to be 922r. If you want the hammer, PM me your address and I'll get it out to you in the next couple days

If I" make" the new trigger from the old trigger I'll still use the old hammer so there should be on problems. In fact everything will be the same in the .308 it's all in the right position. And the grip trigger and mag parts keep me in compliance.

But I will gladly take that trigger group I'm going to sell one of my ar15s at a gun show im going to get while the herrings good and after I buy my "sniper bolt gun" and scope if trees funds left I'm going to try to pick up a x39 saiga and I'll be converting that as well. So pm inbound.

post-38885-0-15793500-1359048698_thumb.jpg

This is your set-up as you have explained it. You will need the hammer to be compliant, the trigger isn't US made even if you alter it so it doesn't work as a part

Also keep in mind that it is now illegal to use your stock magazine per 922r, so be careful with it. You could get the 10 round conversion part from CSSpecs, but you will still need ot get one more conversion part out of the mix to make those legal (http://stores.csspecs.com/-strse-6/Saiga-308-rebuild-kit/Detail.bok)

Edited by VR6Shooter

Ok thanks. But you don't think that I could consider the trigger now us made since I and really making it? Hell I'll try the hammer. I hear the bolt hold open is a bitch and I really want to trim it shorter an keep it so that will

Probably be my next problem after I weld up the trigger guard and trigger.

• 2 weeks later...
hey, i used a $6 egyptian trigger from gunbroker. just a little filing required

If you have enough parts elsewhere that you remain compliant then sure, that would work. A US made is something he really needs to focus on in order to maintain enough parts to not be running it illegally

I'm legal. But this 922r thing is ridiculous. I mean her this is exactly the same thing but now it's illegal! And is it a felony? If so then no jury would ever and I mean EVER convict someone of this. Especially in a gun friendly state, maybe in new York Cali or jersey where the state would show a pic of the heat seeking weapon of mass destruction we call a modern sporting rifle.

922R is mostly intended for persons engaging in the business of manufacturing or remanufacturing firearms..

Like most laws it does not include clear provisions of who it does not apply to.

My understanding of it was to eliminate a "loop hole" that allowed importers to bring in guns in parts and assemble them into "Non-sporting" firearms.

Much like a building or fire code, its not generally applied to individuals.. However, most of us here are highly interested in obeying laws as we have more to lose then gain.

I think instead of trying to be as cheap as possible, you should be striving to produce an excellent conversion... The days when a Saiga .308 could be had for $299 are long gone... And the base rifle has always been quite good. It deserves better, and in the long run you'll be far happier with something like a G2, or even the RSA like I installed in my .308.

i polished the tackle box $5 gun show trigger and a polished hammer and the trigger is exlent and safe its very nice, much better than my two mil spec ar15s. and all said and done ive got less 600 in the rifle and conversion and one csspec mag. im very happy and its my new fav rifle

• 3 months later...

Also, the if memory serves, the pistol grip being made in the US doesn't count since the original sporter didn't have one. Nor will a folding hinge. A folding stock counts, but not the hinge.

A US pistol grip counts, in that it is not a foreign made pistol grip. If you install a non-US pistol grip, it will count against your parts count, and you'll have to make that up elsewhere with another countable US part. The stock is a countable part, folding or not doesn't matter. Only parts on the list are countable.

Sucks for you. I have full on assault weapon. Scary scary scary there there in Cali. Folding stock, threaded barrel and 20 round mags. I've got engough of the us made parts to use my us made mags. My Russian mag is illegal. Pretty stupid by "low" cap mag is illegal.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, the if memory serves, the pistol grip being made in the US doesn't count since the original sporter didn't have one. Nor will a folding hinge. A folding stock counts, but not the hinge.

A US pistol grip counts, in that it is not a foreign made pistol grip. If you install a non-US pistol grip, it will count against your parts count, and you'll have to make that up elsewhere with another countable US part. The stock is a countable part, folding or not doesn't matter. Only parts on the list are countable.

I read on here somewhere that only parts that came eon the gun upon import count toward th 13 or whatever total part count. Our sproter rifles did not have a pistol grip. It's an addition, therefore it doesn't affect the overall imported part limit. Same with a scope, or a shoulder strap, or a quad rail. The main thing is that it can't have more that X number of imported parts. I wanna say it's 10 or 11 imported parts max. When you swap the trigger, the butt stock and the mag itself, that counts as 3. Any other additionalUS parts you add doesn't change the number of imported parts that remain. It doesn;t make any sense to me. I just try and follow the rules.

The pistol grip doesnt count for one part, but only against if its foreign. The mag counts as 3 parts, the trigger group is 3 parts. The stock is one part, and if you switch handguards to a quad rail its also one part.i went w a thumbhole stock so trigger =3parts us, stock = 1 part us (pg is negligible since its us made), and magazine= 3 parts us. It is generally assumed that saiga rifles have 14 parts so in theory by replacing the trigger group (3parts) and stock(1) you can use the factory mag as long as your pistol grip is us made.

The pistol grip doesnt count for one part, but only against if its foreign. The mag counts as 3 parts, the trigger group is 3 parts. The stock is one part, and if you switch handguards to a quad rail its also one part.i went w a thumbhole stock so trigger =3parts us, stock = 1 part us (pg is negligible since its us made), and magazine= 3 parts us. It is generally assumed that saiga rifles have 14 parts so in theory by replacing the trigger group (3parts) and stock(1) you can use the factory mag as long as your pistol grip is us made.

We're all saying the same thing in different ways. If you add a separate pistol grip, then you've added another countable part to your total. If you added a US pistol grip, it counts against that increased total, making it a wash. But if you added a foreign one, then it counts against your now bigger total countable parts, and you may have to make that up somewhere else, if that put you over 10 foreign parts.