First range trip, what should I know before going?

What shells should I get and stay away from? There's winchester super target shells at the local gunstore, they are over 1-1/8oz and go 1200fps, should they be gtg or should I stay away from them?

I've got two SGM 12 round magazines, what should I keep in mind about these?
Also, does a 12rd magazine get in the way of a massive erection generated by shooting the Vepr-12?bad_smile.gif

When shooting your SGMs, if you have FTEs and FTFs - try the exact same ammo in your Factory 5rd.

Also, try the SGM again afterwards, once by pulling back on the bottom of the mag and a seperate load of rounds by pushing forward on the mag - from the bottom of the mag. Note any differences in performance.

I could not get mine to cycle Winchester bulk pack 1200fps. Many jams. Probably 80 out of 100 with factory mags and smg mags. I do have a tapco trigger group installed. My vepr did cycle federal bulk pack 1200 fps very well. Had maybe 2 jams out of 100 shots. Try getting higher a little higher velocity 1250 or 1300 to test. I just got some Remington game loads 1290fps from wm for around 6 dollars a box. My vepr loves them. WARNING! empting a 12rd mag without jams will give you a woody and may cause wet pants in some cases. User discretion advised

I havent been able to fire my V12 without a FTE after every single round. I have about 50 rounds or so through it so far. This is with a SGM 12rd and factory 5rd. I have been using 7 1/2 shot 1290FPS. So far, not impressed. I was actually pretty emberassed as I let my neighbor play with it and he couldnt go more than one round without a FTE.

No brake, however I have many plans in store for this shotgun, I'm picking up my 2nd VEPR tomorrow, if things go well with the 1st one, I'll just sell the second one, if they don't go well, then I'm going to try out the 2nd, I'm definitely going to try a bunch of different loads, like buckshot and some game loads, but I definitely wanted to know if there were serious issues with cycling some of the lower base stuff... apparently there is, but I'll try that Federal and Winchester in a pack before getting it in bulk

and mk4dubbin, is that the only ammo you've tried?

Edited by MAKAK47
  • Like 1

I'd say stay away from 3" shells for sure. I brutalized myself with 4 rounds of 3" Winchester Super X 00 buck before realizing that it was probably overgassed and might break something. The cheap Estate shells have a funny lip in front of the crimp that I found jammed into the top of the chamber mouth, causing FTFs.

The Remington Shurshot 7 1/2 ran ok with the 5 round mag, FTE'd about 2-6 times per mag with the 12 rnd SGM.

I'm thinking some bolt and hammer reprofiling and chamber mouth polishing might cure all of these, but I'm hesitant to do any big modifications on a shotgun with no replacement parts and that requires warranty service to handle any problems.

I'm getting the impression that FTE issues are just luck of the draw with your gun. Could be slight variations in gas ports, could be slight variations in parts fit, variations in mags, even caused by variations in the shooter's build and stance. I'm a small guy at 5' 9" 160 lbs, so maybe that's why the guy from Military Arms Channel can get through a full mag no problem and I can't.

All those mouth breathing ogres over 6' tall are biasing the factory gas system adjustment against us mere mortals. haha.gif

Is there anybody not having these FTE issues? What type of ammo would you guys say works the best that I can buy affordably in bulk? (other than the Federal already suggested)

Im not. I'll have a feeding issue if I use shells that have been cycled through my pumps first, but thats about it. Ive shot the Fed. and Win. with no problems, but I try to feed mine a steady diet of full power buckshot mixed with some cheap shit. Magnum loads are my favorite in this thing.

Is there anybody not having these FTE issues? What type of ammo would you guys say works the best that I can buy affordably in bulk? (other than the Federal already suggested)

Im not. I'll have a feeding issue if I use shells that have been cycled through my pumps first, but thats about it. Ive shot the Fed. and Win. with no problems, but I try to feed mine a steady diet of full power buckshot mixed with some cheap shit. Magnum loads are my favorite in this thing.

CH -

Are you using SGM Mags?

Edited by ec4321

I have a total of 3 SGM mags, and Ive only used 1 of them and it runs fine. I cant say that for the other two, as I havent used them yet. But I havent had any issues as of yet. One thing I did was when I got my mags from SGM, I loaded them and left them loaded for a bout a week.

Well I went and bought some 12 guage shells today, here's what I got:

-Federal Game Loads 7-1/2 and 8 shots, 1290 fps for both
-Winchester Super Sport Sporting Clays 7-1/2 shot, 1300 fps
-Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays 7-1/2 shot, 1300 fps
-Rio Game Load High Performance 7-1/2 shot, 1330 fps

-Federal 4 Buck, 1325 fps

-Remington 00BK, 1325 fps

=135 Shells total

I stuck to only 2-3/4" shells, and didn't get anything below 1200 fps, I'm going to see how the lowest Federal shots cycle before getting something around 1200 fps or lower, if the they cycle fine, I might just keep using them as they were actually pretty cheap

I don't think I'll be able to shoot this weekend because its supposed to be around -40, so I'll have to wait until later.

Well I went and bought some 12 guage shells today, here's what I got:

-Federal Game Loads 7-1/2 and 8 shots, 1290 fps for both

-Winchester Super Sport Sporting Clays 7-1/2 shot, 1300 fps

-Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays 7-1/2 shot, 1300 fps

-Rio Game Load High Performance 7-1/2 shot, 1330 fps

-Federal 4 Buck, 1325 fps

-Remington 00BK, 1325 fps

=135 Shells total

I stuck to only 2-3/4" shells, and didn't get anything below 1200 fps, I'm going to see how the lowest Federal shots cycle before getting something around 1200 fps or lower, if the they cycle fine, I might just keep using them as they were actually pretty cheap

I don't think I'll be able to shoot this weekend because its supposed to be around -40, so I'll have to wait until later.

Your Vepr will feel right at home in that weather. But you may not. Id wait too.

I'm getting the impression that FTE issues are just luck of the draw with your gun. Could be slight variations in gas ports, could be slight variations in parts fit, variations in mags, even caused by variations in the shooter's build and stance. I'm a small guy at 5' 9" 160 lbs, so maybe that's why the guy from Military Arms Channel can get through a full mag no problem and I can't.

All those mouth breathing ogres over 6' tall are biasing the factory gas system adjustment against us mere mortals. haha.gif

It is funny you say that. I am 6'4" and both my SGL12-09 and my VEPR 12 cycle everything I throw at them. That is a very good point.

Edited by nucjd

I dont think size has anything to do with it. I took my 17 yr old brother out and he only weighs around 90 lbs and is under 5'10". I showed him how to shoot it and after he limp shouldered it once, he didnt have any issues the rest of the 100 rds he put through it.