Wow, my wife saw the prices ARs & AKs are going for on GunBroker.

She then calculated that if I sell all my Saigas/ARs and associated magazines/drums, we could be debt free except for the house.

I was trying to keep that fact under wraps.

My wife is getting pretty rabid about lowering or eliminating our debt, and this may get out of hand.

I've news for ya Momma Bear, it happening sweetheart! nonono.gif

• Like 4

You should be glad to have a wife who wants to be responsible for money. you are a lot more likely to have a happy life with one like that than with one who wants to buy stuff all the time.

I split the difference with her thinking. Keep the essentials, and sell the extras while inflated, and pick up replacements when prices normalize. The profits go toward the debt.

• Like 1

Mine is pretty cool about my new obcession.

But I've gotten in pretty late and alot of what I want is way too high now.

Fuck it it's only money keep what you have.

Bills always gonna be there some of these works of art many of us have won't.

• Like 2

Mine bought my first Mosin after I got my C&R FFL, brought home an Armscor M1600 .22 semi for my birthday that she bought from a friend of ours at work, paid for my CCW class and permit for an anniversary present, and wants me to hurry up and fix the Spanish .32 that I bought with a broken firing pin so she can shoot it. Picked up my Norinco Hawk HD 12 gauge shotgun on the 23rd, brought it in and unboxed it. She hefted it up and said "I know it'll kick like hell but I can't wait to shoot it...at least once!"

I picked a good one this time around for sure...

• Like 1

Be happy that's all you need to worry about. Mine has spent every dime I've made, wanted me to sell my shit to pay bills. Well, long story short, she has to pay that shit off herself, cus I won't be her personal spending account and now I get to sleep at my work until I can afford a new home.

My wife doesn't have a clue what my collection is worth. She can only open 1 of the safes.

She couldn't tell a saiga from a harpoon. All she knows is I've spent a bunch of money and

we are selling nothing......never.....ever......

oh,,,,and I had to get her a silencer for her 22 pistol so she could say she has one.

Edited by read_the_wall

Chile,

If she's serious, suggest cutting up all of the credit cards except ONE.

Keep it for emergency purposes only. Medical emergencies and such.

Not because there's a sale at the gun shop, or, wifey needs a new pair of heels.

You'd be surprised at how much money you save, monthly.

My wife and I cut up our credit cards in 1990.

We went to a cash only economy. If we didn't have the money on hand for something we wanted, we went without. Surprisingly, it didn't kill us.

We then paid off her student loans, saved up enough for a down payment on a house. Took a 15 year mortgage, paid as much over the principle as we could afford every month, and, paid it off in 5 years.

Credit cards were KILLING us financially.

Try it and see if it works for y'all. Damn sure worked for us.

• Like 2

Luckily I married a great one. We spend and save responsibly only owing on 1 car and the house. She is into guns and rabidly against the current president. She would never think of selling any of our guns and instead wants more as we can afford them. Last Friday we picked up "for her" a Rock River .223 pistol. You should have seen how giddy she was. :-)

• Like 1

My wife explained why this was happening in many cases.

Women generally value security and safety of the family more highly than men and with all the crap going on they see the firearms as a danger and there is some logic behind it.

What happens to these families that run afoul of the the feds?

They - are- destroyed.

Does not hurt that the prices these things are commanding is just insane. So don't judge them too harshly just try and an reason with them on things they may not see as real as the threat of feds.

There is a very good reason men and women think differently, like it or not it keeps both honest when they dont shut out the other. Stick to your guns ( yeah pun) but keep her fears in mind.

Just our humble opinion.

When the dollar collapses, it probably won't make any difference how much debt you have.

Nobody will be paying their bills any more anyway.

More than likely, that's exactly the time you'll really need those guns though.

• Like 2

Your wife exhibits a reverse thought process on this one. You'll never recoup the cost savings of buying all those guns when they were cheap. If you sell them now, you will buy more later to replace them, likely for more than you paid in the first place, even if prices dip back down. Unless your wife plans for you to not replace what you sell, it's actually going to be a net loss for a short-term gain.

My wife actually won't let me sell the only gun I want to get rid of, a Walther G22. She decided that it's hers.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Rhodes1968" data-cid="854740" data-time="1359303258"><p>

My wife explained why this was happening in many cases.<br />

<br />

Women generally value security and safety of the family more highly than men and with all the crap going on they see the firearms as a danger and there is some logic behind it. <br />

<br />

What happens to these families that run afoul of the the feds?<br />

They - are- destroyed.<br />

<br />

Does not hurt that the prices these things are commanding is just insane. So don't judge them too harshly just try and an reason with them on things they may not see as real as the threat of feds.<br />

There is a very good reason men and women think differently, like it or not it keeps both honest when they dont shut out the other. Stick to your guns ( yeah pun) but keep her fears in mind.<br />

<br />

Just our humble opinion.</p></blockquote>

Hopefully your wife is astute enough to see that her fellow gender is a large part of the problem in this country today via this vein of thought. It is true that women by and large place their priority first in the security of their family and home. The problem is that many women have been brainwashed into believing that the state is the first line of defense against bad things - e.g. police, emergency services, social services, etc.

As you mentioned, many of them are also terrified of "breaking the rules," going afoul of the law, and as such display a staggering ability to kowtow to whatever new laws and regulations are passed against personal freedom in the name of safety. In many cases, women/mothers are the ones most strongly demanding these changes.

My mom is just like this. I can't stand it. She's never understood why my dad or I enjoy guns, hunting, fishing, survival-type stuff. She is not aware of the law on most subjects, believing that anything that makes her uncomfortable or nervous, such as the photos I showed her of me open carrying an AK at the state capital last weekend, must be illegal. She doesn't understand why it is legal, nor does she care that th government wants to take it away from us - in her mind guns are not something we need.

It's a very Oprah-esque way of thinking. What else can I say?

Modern women need a serious adjustment in their thinking. They need to put their trust in their friends and family to ensure their safety and well-being. The government is not a family safety net, provider, or protector.

Sorry for the rant.

Edit: I don't know what the hell is going on, but quotes never work right on my iPhone any longer since the forum had issues about a month ago. I'll fix the formatting later.

Edited by mancat

Some debt is good, and some cards are good. Never cancel accounts, thats bad. Put them in a safe deposit box and every 6 months charge a candybar and pay them off. Keep debt at 10% of available credit. Once your available credit gets high, get a credit card with a hidden limit so it doesn't count against your available credit.

If you are starting out, take $100 and get a secured loan. Take the $100 from the loan and open a secured credit card. You just spent $100 and came off with 2 different positive accounts on your file, a rotating and fixed loan.

Open joint credit accounts for your kids at 8. When they reach majority age, they will have 10 years of positive credit history.

There are lots of little tricks to work the credit system, and make out like a bandit. How do you think those rich people do so well? They dont make all that much more than middle class, they just know how to use it.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 1
Wow, my wife saw the prices ARs & AKs are going for on GunBroker.

She then calculated that if I sell all my Saigas/ARs and associated magazines/drums, we could be debt free except for the house.

I was trying to keep that fact under wraps.

My wife is getting pretty rabid about lowering or eliminating our debt, and this may get out of hand.

I've news for ya Momma Bear, it happening sweetheart! nonono.gif

Ummm...so after reading this I am thinking that you don't have nearly enough guns...or a lot of debt...nah, must be not enough guns.