magazine question

are thermold master molder military mags any good? I found these for cheap. they hold 48 rds and are brand new. Also I found bulgarian metal lined synthetic mag. these are a few dollars more. Has anyone had any experience with them and are they worth it to purchase? They hold 40rds? Thanks guys. I appreciate your time

I just got 3 of the snooth side 40 round Bulgarian mags (metal lined) and tried them out yesterday and they work fine. Only thing i don't like is there is some play side to side and front to back when inserted. The best mags ive used are US Palm 30 round poly mags. They're extremely sturdy and well built, lightweight, fit snug with no play whatsoever and feed just fine. No FTF with either mag.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a shame you guys cant import mags into the US cos I can get virtually any AK mag (steel, bakelite,drums) here in the UK with no problems.Is it that folks in the US have been stockpiling mags or are they in short supply in general?.

Can you guys import seperate mag components (like followers,springs etc) or is it just complete mags you cant import?.

Its a shame you guys cant import mags into the US cos I can get virtually any AK mag (steel, bakelite,drums) here in the UK with no problems.Is it that folks in the US have been stockpiling mags or are they in short supply in general?.

Can you guys import seperate mag components (like followers,springs etc) or is it just complete mags you cant import?.

Rus Military out of the UK sends them as parts. Well atleast to me, he sent the bodys in one shipment and the springs and floorplates in another.

Edited by Mullet Man

I've got 4 of those from back when I got my first AK. To my recollection I've never had a failure from any of them, and they seemed to feed fine. They aren't the sturdiest mags in the world, and they have a bit of flex to them. But as far as a range mag, you should be ok... Just wouldn't stake my life on a thermold. However... I would say the price point would influence my decision to purchase. I wouldn't spend over $20 on them even right now, but I'm also no in the market for mags.

I might go with Bulgies over the thermolds or get a couple of each if you really need mags. It is kinda cool to have a stick mag that holds 48 rounds though, which was the selling point for me when I got mine.

The Bulgarian mags you're looking at have steel reinforcement in the feed lips only. Your front and rear locking lugs are still only plastic, and have a greater chance of breaking and failing. K-var was selling a new batch of freshly imported Bulgy slabsides a few months back that had metal lining through the feed lips and front and back lugs... still not as thoroughly lined as Circle 10's... which goes all the way around and down the front and back spines as well... if i'm not mistaken.

I'd say if you have no mags go ahead and get a couple just to have some and save up some cash for when some steel surplus or Circle 10's, or even US Palms come back around... they should eventually. Then pick up as many of those as you can.

are thermold master molder military mags any good? I found these for cheap. they hold 48 rds and are brand new. Also I found bulgarian metal lined synthetic mag. these are a few dollars more. Has anyone had any experience with them and are they worth it to purchase? They hold 40rds? Thanks guys. I appreciate your time

Let me start by clarifying a few things before I do a quick review of these mags.

1. These went into my Polish ak, with a NoDakSpud receiver. Im sure your receiver is different.

2. I have not yet fired them, only tested them in the back yard hand cycling ammo through them

3. I paid $13 each, and got 2 of them, then spent $10 for shipping. In hindsight, I wish I had bought 4.

Master Molder seems to have a mixed reputation, a lot of people had bad experiences with their AR mags which are made in Canada and have earned the name "Master Melter". The Us made ones use a different formula for their plastic and are know for being good to go, military spec polymer. (I could be wrong and If so, I would love to be corrected)

These most likely will need to be fitted to your weapon! Mine needed about 30 mins with the dremel to get them to lock in right. This is a good thing! I hate loose mags, and every AK is different. If it didnt need fitted? It would most likely be too loose. The rear top of the mag was hitting a rivet in the receiver and had to be modified then the rear tab was a bit too large. Not like, too long, but the top and bottom of the tab wouldnt allow it to lock in as well as I wanted.

Will these hold up for hundreds of years like the steel mags can? No. Will they lock right in and be good to go? Most likely not. Will they hold 48 rounds and be affordable? Yes.

Im very satisfied with my purchase. Your Mileage will vary. In my humble opinion, your getting a bit more than your paying for.