Upgrade/Accessory Questions

I would really appreciate some advice.

I have a converted Saiga-12 I use mainly for target shooting, but I also run some slugs for home defense. My weapon always performs flawlessly, and cycles even the cheap walmart universal shells all day. I like the price of shooting the lighter loads but I hate messing with the pin on the plug when I switch to slugs. Anyway, I have three questions:

First question: I want to change the gas plug. Since I can cycle light loads, would the Tac47 aka auto plug work for me?

Second question: I've been using a Tapco folding stock which I don't care for. Could I get a recommendation on a stock that feels completely solid, and doesn't rock or wiggle? It can be fixed or a collapsible tube, but I would like something under $150.

Third question: I would like to put a red/green dot optic on it for shotgun courses etc, but I'm not sure if I need a quad rail or a side mount. What do you think? Also, what would you recommend under $100?

I appreciate your time, and any guidance you can give me!

-Brett

I have a converted Saiga-12 I use mainly for target shooting, but I also run some slugs for home defense. My weapon always performs flawlessly, and cycles even the cheap walmart universal shells all day. I like the price of shooting the lighter loads but I hate messing with the pin on the plug when I switch to slugs. Anyway, I have three questions:

First question: I want to change the gas plug. Since I can cycle light loads, would the Tac47 aka auto plug work for me?

You never know until you try. Run about 10 wraps of teflon tape around the threads to minimize gas loss. It may require a little work, but you could get lucky too.

Second question: I've been using a Tapco folding stock which I don't care for. Could I get a recommendation on a stock that feels completely solid, and doesn't rock or wiggle? It can be fixed or a collapsible tube, but I would like something under $150.

I use either AK100 folders, which are expensive and take some work to install, or fixed polymer WARSAW length KVar stocks, usually around $50 and very solid.

Third question: I would like to put a red/green dot optic on it for shotgun courses etc, but I'm not sure if I need a quad rail or a side mount. What do you think? Also, what would you recommend under $100?

Bushnell TRS-25 has a pretty decent dot, but I have never tried one on a shotgun. About $80. There are a few options for mounting. Pick one you like.

-Brett

There is also the manual plugs. They differ from the original regulators as thet dont require you to depress the detent, just turn to the desired setting.

The new bonesteel arms stocks seem to be the best folding stock that utilizes the original rear trunion with tang intact. They go for around $150.

For an optic, either an aimpoint pro, h 1, or trijicon reflex. These will hold up to the recoil of 12ga. As for mount, rs regulate or midwest industries.

I still would like to find a fixed (stationary stock) instead of a folding one. It seems like that would be more rugged.

@evlblkwpnz

Just on Carolina shooter supply they have four different quad rails and two different side rails. Isn't one more ideal than the others for mounting a green dot?

I have a converted Saiga-12 I use mainly for target shooting, but I also run some slugs for home defense. My weapon always performs flawlessly, and cycles even the cheap walmart universal shells all day. This is a dream Saiga 12 (S12) I personally wouldn't mind doing whatever it takes to get 100% reliability. I would leave it be.

I like the price of shooting the lighter loads but I hate messing with the pin on the plug when I switch to slugs. Anyway, I have three questions:

First question: I want to change the gas plug. Since I can cycle light loads, would the Tac47 aka auto plug work for me? Maybe the Tac47 Auto Plug will work, but the MD Arms V-Plug works very well but you have to set it manually to adjust the settings. This plug works without having to press the pin in.

Second question: I've been using a Tapco folding stock which I don't care for. Could I get a recommendation on a stock that feels completely solid, and doesn't rock or wiggle? It can be fixed or a collapsible tube, but I would like something under $150. There are three (3) makers for the best folding S12 stock: Bonesteel, Bonesteel, and the last is Bonesteel.

Third question: I would like to put a red/green dot optic on it for shotgun courses etc, but I'm not sure if I need a quad rail or a side mount. What do you think? Also, what would you recommend under $100? I like ITac's (Sig Sauer) Red Dot for about $180 USD but for under $100 USD Bushnell Trophy TRS-25. Since the S12 comes with a Russian optic's mount, mount your optics the Russian way: side mount.

-Brett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLOd1jHz8E

Edited by sweetcostarica

Get the autoplug. It eliminates the ability to make common mistakes. Turn it upside down when firing 3" shells.

I've tried AK 100 stocks and they are nice, but I don't see them as miles ahead of other solid folders. Certainly not worth the cost of a whole new S12 to buy one and have it installed. Others feel differently with considerable enthusiasm, but there are a lot of happy pushbutton ace users out there. They are made for rifles and have a small slippery footprint. The latch mechanism is very good, but the alternatives are good too. If they cost $150 to $200 installed, I'd take them more seriously. They also lack a good recoil pad, except for the few that have a weird swoopy rubber pad.

A good ace type hinge and a stock such as the DPH billet stock are nice. The bonesteel stocks appear to be good tooo.I also like solids like the KVAR stock. Or you can split the difference and do something like this:Guide Comfortable Wood Goodness with a modern touch. - Tech Section - forum.Saiga-12.com That's not for everyone. It has the same AK footprint since I used an AK stock.

Cheapie AK scope rails are disappointing They tend to come loose, and almost every one with a weaver/picatinny base are way too high. At the minimum, use the lowest one you can find. Royally Screwed probably makes the nicest, but it isn't cheap.

GunFun, cool idea for the magnum shells! Im not sure what part of WA your in, but we aught to go shooting some time.

OP: I would recommend going through Primary Arms for your red/green dot needs. These folks are known for fast shipping and amazing customer service. They will answer your questions.

I understand it to be a better plan to mount your red dot style sights farther forward, so I will be purchasing an "Ultimak" rail for my AK. They sell these discounted with the purchase of some of their red dots. The PA Microdot looks S12 tastic.

I have not found anyone who can tell me of a bad experience with a PA product. If a defective device arrived, they had a new one in a week.