Finally doing the conversion..Question about parts.

I am new to the forum and first let me say thank you to everyone for the great information and tips. I have finally decided to do the conversion on my Saiga-12. It is going to be a father son project.

My delema is this. There is so much after market parts out there, where do you start? I would rather pay more now for quality than pay less and not be happy with what I have three months from now. One of the guns in my collection is a Ruger Talo 10/22. While it is fun to plink around with, let's face it the stock is cheap and leaves a lot to be desired. I am looking for more like, from the stand point of quality, what is on my Colt LEO6940.

I have looked at the trigger conversion kits and forarm / hand guards at Carolina Shooters Supply and the stocks on the Bonesteel websit. I see these two suppliers mentioned through out the boards.

I would appreciate comments, opinions, and or suggestions on where to find quality high end conversion parts. That is not to say that the two sites I mentioned are not quality, but there is something to be said for being able to go into a shop to hold and examine something before pulling out your credit card.

Thank you in advance for you time in replying!

Rick

Look at guns in the pic's section and figure out what you're likes are. Most guys have build specs and if not shoot them a pm and ask for info.

You're looking in the right places. CSS carries most of the stuff people want. The E store here carries some of the stuff as well. Take a look at Dinzag… The one thing I would have changed about mine is I would have gone with the Dinzag FCG as it seems they are doing a little more than others with the profiling of the hammer.

I'm sure many will chime in here with other place to look as well.

Hi, just finished my conversion and understand how overwhelming all the choices can be. The stock, grip, forearm, etc...are all personal preferences but I can give you my input on the conversion parts from CSS. I bought the Tromix trigger group and Tromix trigger guard and BHO. All were very high quality and fit like a glove in my S12...very impressed. I also went with the NATO stock and Saw grip...wish I would have went with higher end pistol grip(Hogue style) and a collapsible stock...one at least 12" LOP with a recoil pad built in.

There's my .02.....

Here's a list of some major things you can first decide to narrow down your search options for parts and part reviews. If you can decide on one type in each category that you want, it will really help you focus your effort to find the perfect part for yourself.

Wood, Fixed, Folding, Collapsible, or Combo Stock (Do you care about cutting the tang off the end of the receiver or not?).

AK Grips or AR Grips. The grips themselves are VERY subjective, most gun shops will have AR grips, so if you decide to go that route you could at least go to the store and try some out before buying, I find AK grips a little harder to find locally, of course that may not be the case everywhere. Also, the angle of the grip if you go AR is steeper I believe, which is hard to really predict how you think it will feel before hand, which angle you will like better. So that can be kind of a "blind" choice.

Hand guards - Rails, no rails, or some rails. In that equation, ask yourself do you want to use a foregrip? Also, do you need/want the ability to add a flashlight for home defense? Do you want optics, or removable/battle type iron sights?

Definitely get some ideas from the pics thread, but just remember to think about functionality and fitment for yourself.

Edited by sean8642
I would also appreciate your opinions on who makes the better high capacity mags. Especially now that the are selling at a premium!

SGM and AGP for sticks. MD for drums.

Big John...every time you post I lose 5 mins of my day staring at your Avatar...unbelievable...

Sorry, Would you like me to remove her?

Thank you all for replying to my post. I have, in my head, exactly what I want as far as mods go. I was just curious about quality. Anyone familiar with either of the following?

http://bonesteelarms.com/Ak-Saiga-Folding-stock-with-integral-M4-collapsable-stock-akfs-tb.htm

http://bonesteelarms.com/Saiga-12-gauge-Russian-original-style-flash-hider-CNC-22856.htm

Any leads on quality trigger guards or assembly kits. I want something heavy duty so that when I attach a pistol grip it is solid and does not wiggle. It seems like everyone is sold out. Unless I am not looking in the right places.

Again, I just have in my head the folding stock on my Talo Ruger 10/22. Flimsy plastic. I don't want that.

Big John, thanks for your recommendation on mags.

And for the record, this forum has some of the best avatars I have ever seen!!

Rick

I don't have experience with any parts other than the ones that are currently installed on my gun, but I can say that all of them are rock solid. I cut the tang and used the internal block (a very good way to mount a folding stock imo) and used the dph galil style stock with the folder. Amazing fit and finish on that set up which I am sure many people here have used as well. As for the tromix DIY trigger guard, it mounts on tight as hell, and the pistol grip has absolutely no play. Use some thread lock on all of this stuff and you should be good. The only thing I personally was not impressed with was the quality of the SAW style grip. It does feel kind of cheap (because it is pretty cheap at 15 bucks) but its mounted solid and isn't going anywhere. My G2 trigger is very nice, one came pre installed on my under folder and was my favorite part of the gun. Crisp clean break. There are defiantly more higher quality products available but you will be spending more. The parts on my gun were pretty bottom of the line stuff you see on CSS but the gun feels and looks top of the line.

I don't have experience with any parts other than the ones that are currently installed on my gun, but I can say that all of them are rock solid. I cut the tang and used the internal block (a very good way to mount a folding stock imo) and used the dph galil style stock with the folder. Amazing fit and finish on that set up which I am sure many people here have used as well. As for the tromix DIY trigger guard, it mounts on tight as hell, and the pistol grip has absolutely no play. Use some thread lock on all of this stuff and you should be good. The only thing I personally was not impressed with was the quality of the SAW style grip. It does feel kind of cheap (because it is pretty cheap at 15 bucks) but its mounted solid and isn't going anywhere. My G2 trigger is very nice, one came pre installed on my under folder and was my favorite part of the gun. Crisp clean break. There are defiantly more higher quality products available but you will be spending more. The parts on my gun were pretty bottom of the line stuff you see on CSS but the gun feels and looks top of the line.

The only pitfall to this setup is the Tromix DIY trigger guard is made to be used with the SAW grip. If you opt like I did to go with a Scorpion, or Hogue, you will need to either get just a slightly shorter screw to attach the grip. Or, cut the tigger guard after the second screw (only needs two anyhow) and use the grip nut through the receiver. Not a big deal, but there is another thread where a guy is having trouble getting his Scorpion to attach with the screws given.

I love the finger grooved grips. I've found the Scorpion to be very comfortable now that I got the right screw to get it to stay in the Tromix guard.

If you want a folding stock Bonesteel arms makes one with an external mounting block so you DO NOT have to cut the tang off, that way you can always mount a regular AK stock in the future. I have the Tromix DIY trigger guard and it is very solid you do need to Notch the bottom of the stock (inside the receiver) to fit over the rear screw in the TG. I bought my FCG from TAC 47 because theirs is already profiled and polished, I know some others on here come that way too. Though TAC 47 can be quite slow in shipping they have high quality items at the lowest prices. I also like the SGM mags I have read that AGP are also very good, pro mag has had a reputation for problems on many of theirs. I have an MD20 drum it has worked flawlessly but it is BIG you will want a vertical or angled grip with it. I have the Magpul AFG and it is just enough to comfortably reach around the drum and is great with stick mags as well. Good luck with your conversion post some pics when it is done!