<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="patriot" data-cid="856588" data-time="1359583155"><p>

I don't want that shit in my engines.<br />

Why the fuck can't .gov stay OUT of our lives?<br />

<br />

Hey eco-nuts: BITE ME!</p></blockquote>

Same thing with lightbulbs... CFLs aka Crappy F**kin Lights suck and burn out faster in our house than normal bulbs and their color and output suck. The LEDs we are trying ain't that great either... I just want my damn regular Edison bulbs that are cheap, relatively non-toxic, have good color and just plain work.

• Like 3

I love how they keep cramming ethanol and electricity as the future "clean fuels" down our throats. They do realize that the majority of electricity is generated by burning coal, right? Not to mention that those damn batteries are toxic as all hell?

Edited by mixednuttz
  • Like 1

I have MANY friends that run E-85 in their high performance applications without loads of changes to the fuel system and have 0 problems.

I was standing next to the dyno when my buddy laid down 570hp to the rear tires on his daily driven LS1 Firebird that had 0 internal engine modifications (turbo, big injectors, and a tune). He's been running E85 exclusively for awhile now... It's also his daily driver, snow, ice, rain, doesn't matter... He's driving the WS6.

edit: I do agree that the government should more or less fuck off... I have about 200 incandescent bulbs in my attack for my shop lights. The shop lights seem to die of unnatural causes (oops... dropped a wrench.. BOOM!).

Edited by Maxwelhse

I am having a blown bike motor built right now that will run E85. When you're running a bunch of boost, E85 is cheaper and easier to get than buying 110 octane ras gas.....but in a regular car, I would rather have no alcohol in it, not to mention in a 2-stroke.

Tony

Fucking Ethanol eats up some fuel injectors. Sure you can run it with zero problems and get HP and mileage gains for a while but wait until your fuel delivery system starts taking a shit on you. Then the fun begins. I won't run it in my rigs.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

I ran E85 for 2yrs once in my '83 T10. got the same gas mileage as regular, which was shit. After the second fuel pump I decided that was enough.

E10 has been around for years. I've run in in all mine @ some point till all of a sudden mileage was dropping fast. in the wife's '97 grand am gt 3.1(up for sale) with ethonal of 10% was down to 24-26mpg highway, regular gas 30-32mpg. In here '95 Blazer she gets about 20mpg highway with regular and 16-17tops with ethonal. My '94 Blazer doesn't really matter right now that I can tell dam vacume leak in the cap dropping me down to about 7mpg.

Now my '79 Monte running 9.8:1 I run 91premium with 110leaded as a booster. Used to run 90 midgrade with ethonla but it hardened the needle and seat and cause flooding when off.

Ethanol fuels do not make sense on a fuel economy scale. It's pure rainbows and sunshine. Past that, the "Flex Fuel" fuel filter for my '01 S-10 is $50... Regular gas fuel filter for my '98 was $13... No idea what the mechanical difference is other than an extra nipple. I seriously doubt that the specific gravity or density is a big enough change for that extra nipple to really mean anything.

With that said, when my 5.0 gets it's pro-charger (some day long from now, when the gub'ment isn't trying to ban guns instead of 700hp street machines), I will be running E-85 without fear. Cheapest race gas the Earth has even known brought to you via gub'ment subsidies.

Don't run a bike, boat, snowmobile, lawn mower, or PWC on eth fuel. Ethanol attracts water. Last summer, the bike/boat forums were pissed because eth ruined many carbs, and cost thousands in towing fees. I had it in a lawn mower last year, and had to drain the water out of the carb after it sat for a week. Shop told me they'd seen more carbs ruined by even E10 because of this. We have one station here that runs non-eth 93 octane year round, and I even run it in my carbed rigs.

E-85 is also corrosive. The reason parts are more expensive is they must be stainless, or the E-85 will eat them up over time. If you are running it in an aluminum carb, be prepared to have your car become a BBQ eventually. The E-85 will eat it from the inside out, and eventually grenade.

Remember M-85? Chrysler lost their ass on that Flex-fuel Spirit in 1992. Ford tried it, and dropped it a year later as well.

Edited by Lone Eagle

Ethonal will not give you better milage, as it has less BTU's than a gallon of gas. MTPredator is incorrect on this issue. You can't change the laws of physics. You can run it fine in a vehicle set up for it. You can tune it for HP gains. But you absolutely cannot get better MPGs out of it. NO way in hell.

• Like 1

A lot of states have ethanol mandates already e.g. minnesota, missouri, indiana, ohio.

Here in ohio i believe our current state mandate is 5%, but most fuel is at least 10%.

I think minnesota has a E20 mandate, at those levels you really start screwing with old school fuel injection.

You need roughly 30% more ethanol than gas to get the same power. But the biggest issue is the stoich air/fuel ratio.

It is 14.7 to 1 on gas and 9 to 1 on Ethanol which means, unless the ECU knows what the ethanol percentage is, it will be running lean.

eta punctuation

Edited by Bulldog_Shotgun
Alcohol scrubs oil from cylinder walls.

It also has been proven to erode valves and is corrosive .

The problem is most cars on the road are not engineered for it. which with use of e15 will shorten the life of fuel system and engine components.

But as it has been stated earlier. It's great for making horsepower if you have the supporting components.

Edited by evil85

This stuff pisses me off as well. I was looking for a gas station in the Cincinnati area that sells real gas and when I checked at pure-gas.org there are none within normal driving distances. Perhaps this is a payoff to the corn farmers (since they grow it), the ethanol manufactures (because they make it) and the automobile industry (because they make new cars and replacement parts). We are just the ones footing the bill.

• Like 1
I'm looking to get into methanol injection for added octane. Heck a bottle of blue washer fluid and a bottle of heat makes a 50/50 mix if methanol and water. Safe for use. But as a booster not fuel.

Baaa.. Just run straight methanol... My pal's '68 AMX runs low 7s on antiseptic. His biggest complaint is the condensation coming off of his 8-71 and covering his windshield at launch! :)