Help needed with a few ?'s on the "conversion" before I st

I'm a newbie to AK's and by no means a gunsmith, but I'm mechanically inclined and no idiot. That being said I have a few questions that I can't seem to clear up by searching the forums;

I have a 7.62 x 39 ~2010 model with the dimples and BHO lever from what I can tell, if this makes any difference. I'll be installing a RSA trigger group with the plate they sell that I think does away with a spring, houge grip onto the Aluminum trigger gaurd with grip bolt that CSS sells and an ACE M4 adjustable stock with the folder assembly and the internal mounting block that CSS sells. Also will be doing the bullet guide deal as well.

I'm not sure if I understand how the BHO works on this Saiga. Does it function like any other LRHO assembly like on my AR15 or 1911? Once I know, I'll be able to decide if I want to do away with the BHO lever all together. It looks like it gets in the way of the trigger finger after the conversion.

Also, once I drill out the pins/rivets, do I need to repaint the exposed metal with anything or prime it to help prevent rusting? No one has really mentioned this that I can see.

I'll be using red AND blue loctite on the appropriate parts. Any reason why I shouldn't use the red loctite on anything that I plan on leaving in permanently?

Thats all the questions I have for now. I appreciate ANY advice or help that you guys can give me before I start on this conversion. I'm open to suggestions as well or tips that I may need to know that I didn't inquire about.

Thanks much,

Dan

AWESOME forum btw! I never knew I'd get so excited about my new AK!

Edited by MTRamMan

welcome.

you are correct. the retaining plate is a replacement for the shepards hook retainer.

the BHO is manual. and many trim and or reshape the tab, because it will be inside the trigger guard.

some painting will be needed.

CSS has some good vids on you tube. it made my s12 conversion simple.

I have same Saiga. The BHO only works if you engage it. IMHO, it is worthless and gets in my way. I did not reinstall it, and will never miss it.

When you remove the old trigger guard, the bottom of the receiver will need to be painted. Most people use Dupli-Color Engine Enamel Low Gloss Black DE1634. It seems to be the best match to the factory paint. Get it at your local automotive store.

The holes left in the receiver after you move the trigger group can be filled with plastic hole plugs from Lowes.

I used blue loctite on everything. The red stuff is pretty strong, and takes alot of heat to get it to break loose. Just make sure that is what you want.

As far as suggestions, the only part people usually struggle with is the bullet guide. Use a quality tap and handle, lots of oil, and take your time. It really is a pretty simple process and one that you will great enjoy. Teaches you alot about your rifle as well.

Edited by Semper299

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Semper299" data-cid="860926" data-time="1360337617"><p>

I have same Saiga. The BHO only works if you engage it. IMHO, it is worthless and gets in my way. I did not reinstall it, and will never miss it.<br />

<br />

When you remove the old trigger guard, the bottom of the receiver will need to be painted. Most people use Dupli-Color Engine Enamel Low Gloss Black DE1634. It seems to be the best match to the factory paint. Get it at your local automotive store.<br />

<br />

The holes left in the receiver after you move the trigger group can be filled with plastic hole plugs from Lowes.<br />

<br />

I used blue loctite on everything. The red stuff is pretty strong, and takes alot of heat to get it to break loose. Just make sure that is what you want.<br />

<br />

As far as suggestions, the only part people usually struggle with is the bullet guide. Use a quality tap and handle, lots of oil, and take your time. It really is a pretty simple process and one that you will great enjoy. Teaches you alot about your rifle as well.</p></blockquote>

Thanks much for the info! Looking forward to converting it. Now I see I might want to replace the FSB and thread on a muzzle brake as well. I might get the help of my local gunsmith to do that part.