Carry: small caliber and placement vs. stopping power

Subjective for sure.

9mm is my small caliber for deep carry. I will take 7 or 10 plus reloads over nothing any day.

For me 5 rounds of 357 in a SP101 carries and shoots very well as a main carry. My new thin 1911 is getting carried more due to ease of conceal and accurate shooting.

Meth is a problem out here. I want as much ump as I can get and carry/use safely and accurately.

I wish Kel-Tec made a P3AT in a caliber that started with a .4X. - with a tritium front sight insert.

Even if it only had a 4 or 5 round mag, that would be a dream come true, for carry purposes.

A P4T5 or a P4TEE would be AWESOME.

I currently carry either a Kahr P9, a P3AT or a Rock Island CS Tacrical, depending on dress.

All are shot much and carried much.

• Like 1

The Noisy Cricket will be my next CCW gun. It looks like it has a tad more of a kick than my .500 though.

Yeah. That's the shizznit!

Double taps would be a bitch!

Forget about a "Mozambique" take-down.

But, with my luck, it uses proprietay ammo / mags - that are currently "out of stock". and only sold through CTD...

...And nobody makes a SOB holster for it.

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1
I wish Kel-Tec made a P3AT in a caliber that started with a .4X. - with a tritium front sight insert.

Even if it only had a 4 or 5 round mag, that would be a dream come true, for carry purposes.

A P4T5 or a P4TEE would be AWESOME.

I currently carry either a Kahr P9, a P3AT or a Rock Island CS Tacrical, depending on dress.

All are shot much and carried much.

p3at here, and yes the sights suck.

The Noisy Cricket will be my next CCW gun. It looks like it has a tad more of a kick than my .500 though.

Funny enough, my buddy has one of those American Arms derringer .22Mags... He calls it "The Noisy Cricket"... It's the loudest gun I've ever heard.

Ah, the .22 Long Rifle. Now there's a wonderful bit o' lead. My Pa-in-law carried one for all of the 10 years I knew him. It was a Rossi six gun nicknamed 'Arrowhead" and his daughter inherited it with sound advice-- Shoot for the Plumbing Department. So I guess shot placement rules with that caliber and stopping power as a bonus. Can't do any rapin' without the tools. Same weapon that almost killed Ronnie. Strictly CQB for that pistol but others are better farther out and a rifle in .22 is a great for crowd/ gang control at the fence line.

Well, carry a Glock 29 since 96. Due have a SRC9 at times. Heck a .22 can kill. 95% of time the 9 or smaller is enough. Was involved in a 250lb crack head taking 4 9mm into chest and still tackling and fighting with an officer over his weapon in a garage. He got pulled off then went toes up on way to hospital. So if substance abuse defense might be an issue? Still, must be accurate/comfortable with whatever you carry.

• Like 1

Shot placement, first... but that also means understand exactly what shot placement is needed. Most everyone says 'center mass'... but that's really not the case. You should aim high center chest.

human-anatomy-7.jpg

Notice how the goodies (heart+lungs) are in the upper half of the torso. Aiming center mass of the body is going to get you more guts and less vitals. Also consider that most people in a fighting stance aren't going to stand straight up... they're going to squat, bend at the waist and lean forward at an angle which further negates the effectiveness of center mass shots. A high center chest shot on a baddie at this likely angle will punch through more vitals.

For the size and lightness for pocket carry in holster:

FEG R61, or Radom P64, both in Makarov. Loaded with oddball Chinese FMJ (that show to penetrate deepest in wet phone books test)

Scattered about the house are CZ 82's. Loaded with Buffalo Bore +P.

That's a sexy Kimber. I would love to have one someday.

I wonder, does anyone use a .22 for a carry pistol? I thought no one did, but then there is the Colorado mall shooting, stopped by a guy who did carry one. Your thoughts or reasons why .22, if you do choose this size round?

I carried a Taurus PT-22 for years when I wore shorts alot and pre-P3AT days. Not my 1st choice, but it carried well.

The difference is that you need to adjust your shot placement. Midline = between the Xiphoid process (bottom of the rib cage) to the Pelvis (AKA: The "Junk"). In other words, a belly-button shot. Lots of big blood vessels and nerves, soft tissue and no bone (until the spine).

If the point is to "stop the fight", .22 will work, but not ideal for carry.

Again - Shot placement is 1st and Foremost.

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau

I remember 'hearing' (which means it's in my head but I have no idea how it got there) that the number of rounds fired in the majority of incidents are relatively small, I want to say 5 or less. Anyone know of any current data about this? I'm not angling to make a case for a low capacity carry weapon, as always it's better to have more than you need than not enough all other things being equal or close to it.

Keep in mind, the argument of 'shot placement is key' is actually an argument for 9mm. SHot placement comes from training, and you can train longer and more effectively with 9mm. With ALL calibers, when practicing, there reaches a point where fatigue affects the human body so much that any further practice gains us NO long term benefit. Our body is just too tired to learn more. Because 9mm has less recoil, we can throw more rounds downrange before approaching that zero-gain point.

Yes, because of this .22 might be ideal for learning the basics, but its also good to practice with a round similar to hat you will be using.

All duty rounds perform about the same. So, what you want are the most rounds in viral areas. With that in mind, I prefer 9mm for the highest capacity at a given size/weight. Stopping power is a joke when it comes to pistols. Just my personal opinion, a 1911 is a nice range gun, but I prefer lighter/higher capacity guns for carry.

From what ive seen of ballistics, this is entirely correct. 9mm opens just as big as .4X, the kicker being as long as it opens. However, after seeing vids of guys getting shot with all sizes of pistol ammo and running away unimpeded, im a big fan of rifle calibers and shotguns (not .410, please). Wish I could sling a Draco everywhere.

• Like 1