Front Site Removal - Legion Iz-412NM

Help me think this through before I unnecessarily start marking up the gun. What's the procedure for removing this particular front site? I have found two fasteners. The first photo shows what looks to be an standard screw located at the base of the site. I believe it's this screw that holds the site to the barrel. Unfortunately I don't know how to get to it.

post-35052-0-62252500-1359795726_thumb.jpg

My thought Is I first have to remove the site pin, then use a small screwdriver and go "top down" to get to the "base" screw. But I can't figure out how to remove the site pin to make this work. As we see in the 2nd photo there is an allen screw on the underside of the site pin. My thought is the site pin can either be turned out or it has to have the allen screw removed first.

post-35052-0-82655900-1359795714_thumb.jpg

This can't be complicated. Are there special tools needed or am I now over thinking this process?

Any help is appreciated...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

You need a sight removal/ adjustment tool or even a locking needle nose pliers type tool to remove the sight post. Then you will be able to remove the lower screw, which is a set screw to hepl keep the sight from moving. I imagine the allen should just come out

yep, looks like you will need an AK front sight tool. Remove sight post, press out sight post barrel or drum and you should be able to access it at that point.

I would recommend getting the Magnamatic "AKFST", some of the AK front sight drums/barrels can be a real stubborn bitch to move.

Thanks again to the both of you!

Red_Cedar: I will fill you in on what I'm doing. I ordered Legion's Iz-477 with the magwell and the dragunov stock. I also have that Legion Iz-412NM that has the factory hand guards in sporter configuration. My plan is to swap out the dragunov stock on the 477 with the AK hand guards off the 412. In the end my build will have the magwell and ak hand guard set up. The other build I haven't decided what I'm doing with it.

Mullet Man: I have been waiting for you to post a pic in the "so what do we look like" thread. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/12574-so-what-do-we-look-like/

How long do you let that grow? This is what I envision...

post-35052-0-91653700-1359838114.jpg

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
You need a sight removal/ adjustment tool or even a locking needle nose pliers type tool to remove the sight post. Then you will be able to remove the lower screw, which is a set screw to hepl keep the sight from moving. I imagine the allen should just come out

yep, looks like you will need an AK front sight tool. Remove sight post, press out sight post barrel or drum and you should be able to access it at that point.

I would recommend getting the Magnamatic "AKFST", some of the AK front sight drums/barrels can be a real stubborn bitch to move.

Update: I ordered the AKFST and found it to be a helpful tool for the job. After removal of the sight post I could access the set screw without having to remove the drum. Indeed the job could have been done with a cheap pair of needle nose pliers but I think I'll find this tool invaluable in the future. After removal of the set screw the front site is still tight to the barrel. I am contemplating pressing it off with the same method I read in a pinned post about pressing off the gas block using shelf brackets wrapped in duct tape for protection.

• 2 months later...

No it did not work. I heated it up with a heat gun and used a brass punch with a 10lb hammer. The FSB is so damn tight (or stuck) I determined the only way it will come off is with a hydraulic press which I don't have access too. If someone has any other ideas I'm all ears.

Sight tool is like $8 bucks on Amazon, you should get one anyway!

Yeah I purchased the AKFST. I agree, I've used it a few times on mine and a buddies build. I think I spend $30. Did you know that the standard kit that comes with your s-12 has doubles as a FST as well?

Sight tool is like $8 bucks on Amazon, you should get one anyway!

Yeah I purchased the AKFST. I agree, I've used it a few times on mine and a buddies build. I think I spend $30. Did you know that the standard kit that comes with your s-12 has doubles as a FST as well?

Me too. I've helped my brother sight his sites in too. Yeah I actually seen that on a video a long time ago but forgot about it till now! The sight pusher on the one I bought is nice though.

• 1 month later...

I ended up taking my gun to have someone look at it and he said its got some kind of epoxy on it. He gave me 2 options he would try to heat it off or cut it off, but he warned me that he did not like the finish on the barrel and was worried that the heat may cause the finish to crack and flake off, so it ended up being cut off. There was quite a lot of glue that was holding the sight in place. Even after cutting it he had to really convince the sight that it wanted to come off. There was a good amount of epoxy left on the barrel and its hard as a rock. Ended up sanding some of it down so I could put on a replacement front sight. Really wanted to keep the original sight, but the way it was mounted I figured it was the only way I could go. So I am now done cutting up the rail that will replace the original fore grip and doing some final paint work and she should be all done.

I ended up taking my gun to have someone look at it and he said its got some kind of epoxy on it. He gave me 2 options he would try to heat it off or cut it off, but he warned me that he did not like the finish on the barrel and was worried that the heat may cause the finish to crack and flake off, so it ended up being cut off. There was quite a lot of glue that was holding the sight in place. Even after cutting it he had to really convince the sight that it wanted to come off. There was a good amount of epoxy left on the barrel and its hard as a rock. Ended up sanding some of it down so I could put on a replacement front sight. Really wanted to keep the original sight, but the way it was mounted I figured it was the only way I could go. So I am now done cutting up the rail that will replace the original fore grip and doing some final paint work and she should be all done.

Thanks for the post, it confirms why I was having one helluva time. What sight are you replacing it with? I'm also interested in seeing what you did to fit on a rail. Pics if possible...

Well I found this sight and decided to try it out. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-921/CSS-TACTICAL-SAIGA-12/Detail

So I have a saiga model IZ-412nm

DSC01084.jpg

I went looking for a rail system for this gun and found that there are no rail systems that I could find that will fit this gun since the rear sight block wraps around the barrel.

I decided to try my luck and see if I could make one fit. I bought the MTU002 rail model by UTG.

mtu002.gif

Now I knew from the start that I would not be able to use the upper part of the rail because of the way the gas tube is setup on this gun. It was time to break out the dremel and see what kinda mess I could make.

The original fore grip has a small tab of plastic the fits into the receiver which holds the back part of the grip in place and then there is the screw that secures the front piece to the gun.

IMG 0761

The MTU does not have this tab so I got a piece of ABS plastic and milled it down so it would fit in the lower section of the rail.

IMG 0772

Now that I have the plastic seated well I drilled and pinned the piece into place and started to work on grinding down the rail so it will fit the barrel.

IMG 0771

IMG 0770

IMG 0769

IMG 0775

I ended up cutting the upper section of the lower rail leaving only a small section remaining. I had to do this because this part of the rail would hit the gas tube.

DSC 0483

DSC 0484

DSC 0487

I had to now thin the walls of the rail down. Once I got the sides of the rail ground down I then cut out sections of the lower sides to allow the rear sight band to fit

DSC 0489

DSC 0488

DSC 0485

You can see the upper section has been ground away quite a bit compared to the rail section just below it. After I got the fit I wanted I painted it up and put it back together.

DSC 0489

This is what it looks like all back together again. Its nice and solid and I am quite happy with the way it looks. Now just need a day off of work to run a few rounds through it to see how it handles.

DSC 0492

DSC 0494

DSC 0491

DSC 0493

Edited by Rustler07
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay so I took out the new setup to see how it felt and all seemed well the first run which I would have to say I felt good about the work I did. But of course there always has to be some kind of issue that presents itself. After the second outing I noticed that there was a little slop in the fore grip. So I took it apart and found that the bolt/screw that secures the fore grip to the gas block was bent into a S-shape. So I replaced the screw and inserted a spacer between the fore grip and barrel to see the would lock it down and keep the fore grip from bending the screw and the answer to that would be a big nope. The new screw was bent just as bad as the first. This time though I noticed that the ABS plastic piece I made had cracked at the first pin that holds it in the rail. So now I am not sure if the ABS broke first and allowed the fore grip to move and that was the original reason the mounting screw bent or if the screw bent and that caused the ABS to break. So back to the drawing board as the saying goes.

Thinking of using the idea that the original fore grip used with the u shaped wedge. It screwed to the gas block to create tension on the fore grip to push it back into the receiver so the screw is not the only thing holding the fore grip in place. Any thoughts you may have would be great.

Edited by Rustler07