Limited NY Conversion

I'm a new member and I've been searching about the forum for the last few days trying to figure out the ins and outs of my new .223. Sorry if my questions are too basic. I would like to get the most out of what I have without having to register it in my state. I also want to keep taking it to the range. That means I can't install a pistol grip and do a full conversion. Large capacity Mags are also not in my future. (I just purchased two 7 round mags which are the maximum under the new law.)

I would like your advice on what changes you would make living in NY.(moving isn't an option) I would like to improve the trigger but, I'm not sure it's possible without moving the group forward? I can't seem to find anything on that. What would you do?

Edited by Graptor

As much as many people dislike the law that was just passed in NY, I think it clearly marks the weapon you own is an "assault weapon", so the only suggestion to anyone would be is to obey the law and do everything according to the guidelines and provisions of the new law, while doing their possible best to make the politicians change the law utilizing proper legal channels…

The problem is the law is very unclear. A stock Saiga absent any features appears not to fall under the verbiage of the new law but, the FAQs list any AK variant. I would like to make changes to improve my .223 and still keep it just under the line. When the law is made more clear and if a Saiga is considered an AW, I'll register it. It won't make me happy but, then nothing that comes out of Albany does anyways.

Well, as the law reads.... “Any AK‐47 variant designed to fire ammunition in any caliber manufactured by the firms listed below . . . . . . Izhevsk Factory ‐ Russia.”

A Saiga is a saiga..... Any configuration or caliber...... It is an assault weapon...... Convert away.

• Like 2

If unclear about anything, the safe, although lengthy, suggestion would be to consult your local ATF branch, in writing, providing them with the exact model of your weapon, enquire about their definition of "AK variants", and wait for the answer, in writing, that clearly states what is allowed and what is not allowed. Doing it differently may open a door to a wonderful opportunity to discuss the interpretation of the phrase "Any AK‐47 variant" with a Judge when your court appearance date comes around...

If you don't register it, you can't take it to the range or anywhere else to shoot. Having a gun without the ability to enjoy it is kind of sad. An unregistered weapon also gives your Ex-Wife, girlfriend and every other person in your life the ability to ruin you. I'm not going to be counting every person who seen me with a rifle and wondering who I might have pissed off. Big Brother lives in NY and he's watching.

I'll unhappily register it if the law makes that clear. In the mean time I'd like to make a few changes that still could keep me under the line. Any ideas for the trigger? Could I replace it with a tapco without moving the group forward?

Makc, what should I do just give up and keep my Saiga the way it is? It's most likely already a banned gun that needs to be registered in my tyrannical state. I'm a realist, I'm beyond the idea that I can just make any change I want. Why wouldn't I try to figure out how to improve the trigger? The whole idea of a Saiga conversion is a work around the current national law isn't it? Do you believe there is no one in NY who is supposed to make their Saiga better while staying in compliance with local laws? I'm no criminal, no matter how stupid I think the law is but, I do want to think about improving what I have now. If there is any question about a Saiga in my state's law, Ill register it the day I have too.

Edited by Graptor

Graptor, unfortunately there is no one who can legally offer you an advice that you are seeking but the proper authorities in your state.

As stated above, the best course of action you may elect to take is to consult with proper state authorities and your local BATF branch in regards to "any and all questions" you may have about the weapon you may have in your possession and its current classification, and follow the letter of the law the way the state authorities further define for you in reply to your inquiry.

I am glad you received a clear answer to your question from the proper state authorities, although I am sure not the most desirable, but nevertheless a correct one that provided you with a clear definition and classification as well as the steps you need to take to stay compliant with the new law.

And I do thank you for posting your findings - people will be able to refer to this thread in the future, as I am sure the same question will be asked again.

• 2 weeks later...
This law is based on how a weapon looks and the Mini 14 isn't scary enough. I don't even think a Mini 14 is a choice on any of the popular video games. That's really how superficial this law is.

an unconverted Saiga is scary looking? why? because its black? man, my state is getting worse and worse. might as well go ahead and convert mine. been holding off cause of the ban, shit, why bother.

This law is based on how a weapon looks and the Mini 14 isn't scary enough. I don't even think a Mini 14 is a choice on any of the popular video games. That's really how superficial this law is.

an unconverted Saiga is scary looking? why? because its black? man, my state is getting worse and worse. might as well go ahead and convert mine. been holding off cause of the ban, shit, why bother.

You might as well. There is no reason not too at this point.

• Like 1

You might as well. There is no reason not too at this point.

yup, and keep it outta sight!

Because a Saiga is an AK and is so powerful that it will basically slaughter your entire family if you so much as drop it on the floor unloaded. How can you even know that it doesn't come out of the box loaded? It's from Russia! They eat dogs there! Siberia!