Left Hand Charge Modification, and some more.

I've been wanting the Left Hand Charge ever since I realised not having it cost me probably 5-10 places at the IPSC Shotgun World Shoot (Hungary) last year.

I sent my bolt carrier to my dealer (EU) for modífication. The charging handle was welded in place and a nice paint job was applied, it looked like stock and brand new!

It set me back about €180 but it was a beautiful job.

The dealer was supposed to fix the left side of the "lid" also, but I could never get it off the shotgun without damaging something.

So I used a Dremel for the first time, and removed the metal that was in the way for the new handle. Considering I am no handy man, I'm quite happy with the result.

At the World Shoot, I also had some issues with my Magpul Angled Fore Grip, or rather the attachment of it.

The piece of weaver at the front (under the gas block) is just to short, so it was never possible to screw the AFG to it so instead

I did my best with silver tape. It stayed there until I was shooting a very long stage and the barrel got very hot. Not going into details, but I've shot better stages in my life...

This is my race gun, not a piece of exhibition kit, so function goes before form and looks.

I am nof big fan of FAB, but The FAB Defence PTK looked like a better solution and surely it was!

http://www.amazon.com/PTK-Ergonomic-Pointing-Grip-Fab-Defense/dp/B00AAGLS8W

With some minor mods, removing some material, the front angled grip is now securely in place.

This allows for the same style of grip and shooting stance as I use shooting AR-15 rifle, 3 Gun style.

All I need now is to find some black paint and the LHC modification is complete.
Oh, and I need to test fire as well, but hopefully that runs ok.
I get a lot of questions and PMs about my sight. It's a Leupold Deltapoint 3.5 MOA.
It gives me a close to barrel line of sight. 3.5 MOA is because I get a dot, the 8 MOA is a yellow triangle and I figured I din't want that, I need to be on target anyways with the dot to hit.
You can find the easily on eBay. I use it on my Glock as well.
And...still searching for the perfect modification to attach an AR-15 style stock instead of what you see. Guess I have to do some gorilla mechanics and weld the sucker in place,
but your alternative solutions are welcome.

post-34001-0-57072000-1359963021_thumb.jpg

post-34001-0-22588100-1359963034_thumb.jpg

post-34001-0-47763300-1359963046_thumb.jpg

post-34001-0-97937200-1359963056_thumb.jpg

post-34001-0-95019200-1359963068_thumb.jpg

post-34001-0-00268500-1359963080_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. I'm not sure I would call it beautiful, but it works.

This would probably satisfy your need for such pictures smile.png

Gives you pre-LHC also.

Seems there's a solution to the AR-stock....the sooner the better.

post-34001-0-40782400-1359971077_thumb.jpg

post-34001-0-02557700-1359971113_thumb.jpg

post-34001-0-09237600-1359971126_thumb.jpg

post-34001-0-24441500-1359971162_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3Gun

A few questions to any experts if I may.

Does cutting out the metal for the left hand charging handle impact the structural integrity or durability of the overall weapon?

How hard is it to weld on the new handle and plug the remove/plug the original? Thinking selection of gunsmiths skill levels when asking this.

Is that the original charging handle now n the left?

Will the Bonesteel left hand folder and M4 stock allow firing with the left hand charger and the stock folded?

That strikes me as being where I might want to go.

Edited by alternety
A few questions to any experts if I may.

Does cutting out the metal for the left hand charging handle impact the structural integrity or durability of the overall weapon?

How hard is it to weld on the new handle and plug the remove/plug the original? Thinking selection of gunsmiths skill levels when asking this.

Is that the original charging handle now n the left?

Will the Bonesteel left hand folder and M4 stock allow firing with the left hand charger and the stock folded?

That strikes me as being where I might want to go.

No, the lid is more or less just dust protection so it should not affect the structural integrity.

I don't think the welding is that difficult - but please bear in mind I didn't see this work being performed.

And the bolt has to be able to slide all the way to close the bolt.

To the left is now a modified handle. The original to the right is untouched.

The shotgun cann't be fired with the stock folded, you're going to get a collision at some place.

Who did the left hand charge mod for you? I'm based in the uk and would like this doing to mine

How's your german? :) My dealer is based there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3Gun, I liked that FAB Defence PTK so much I ordered one. I wasn't expecting it to come from Israel. So now that's its here, how in the world did you mount it?

Sorry for the late reply. I have a small picatinny section which I use, perhaps it's not there on your gun?

I had to modify it a bit, remove a tiny bit of material for the screw to fit the picatinny but now it's solid. The Magpul couldn't do this.

Also, after a few months of being snowed under it's finally starting to melt.

I had hoped for the LHC mod to be easy, but the gun wouldn't run.

The striker wouldn't hit the primer, was missing some 1/10 of a millimeter I guess.

Apparently the bolt was not clean enough which seems to have caused the problem.

Ran a Magazine and now at least it functions.

Warmer weather...please come and I'll start practising sooner than later...

Also did some trials with a CMORE 12 MOA which seems promising.

AR stock next...