4 port failure...

I have a 4 port Saiga purchased from another person. It cycled ok with low recoil buck and nil with target loads (as usual) and perfect with the heavy loads. I, like others, tried everything else (MD Arms V plug, low recoil spring, performance puck, and Autogas plug) and after reading up and watching video after video, I took it apart and drilled out the ports with a 3/32 bit. I cleaned it and put it all back together and with a small amount of optimism, I went out shot it. It's like I didn't change a thing-zero difference. It was converted by Legion and I added a tri rail, a Mini Monster brake and a charging handle bolt.

I'm a little discouraged however I gained some confidence taking it apart and putting it back together as I'm new to all this and other than cleaning a weapon, I've never taken one apart. I may have to do a little filing on the gas window to make sure the side ports are completely unblocked along with all the other things mentioned here. This thing needs to be 100% reliable.

I've never, ever had so many isssues with a firearm before. Any encouragement out here?

in the conversions I've done, a handful didn't cycle with the recommended hole size (3 and 4 port models). I just opened them up to the next drill size and they worked great. If your fire control group is profiled and polished, at least profiled to the stock hammer profile, I'd open up the ports a bit more.

I've even had some that were two port (free vodka in the factory day) and I've had to drill another port.

Edited by SICARIO-
Sicario, have you taken a 4 porter greater than 3/32 on each port? I would be hesitant to do that.

I haven't had to go larger than 3/32" for a 4 hole. 5/64" is usually adequate for a 4 hole, 3/32" for the 3 hole. If 3/32" didn't work, you might try opening up one or two of the holes to 7/64". I would be hesitant as well, but at the end of the day if your carrier/bolt/fire control group is smooth, and it's still not cycling, you need more gas.

Edit: corrected 4 hole size (5/64")

Edited by SICARIO-

I can't tell what tri rail that is, but it doesn't look like a UTG. I would start with a polish then remove the fore end and see if it functions any better. Maybe even remove the break and fire It. Process of elimination. Also, hand cycle that bitch until your hand is ready to fall off.

Sicario, have you taken a 4 porter greater than 3/32 on each port? I would be hesitant to do that.

I haven't had to go larger than 3/32" for a 4 hole. 5/32" is usually adequate for a 4 hole, 3/32" for the 3 hole. If 3/32" didn't work, you might try opening up one or two of the holes to 7/64". I would be hesitant as well, but at the end of the day if your carrier/bolt/fire control group is smooth, and it's still not cycling, you need more gas.

I think you got your sizes flip flopped. 5/32 is awfully big for a 4 hole.

I haven't had to go larger than 3/32" for a 4 hole. 5/32" is usually adequate for a 4 hole, 3/32" for the 3 hole. If 3/32" didn't work, you might try opening up one or two of the holes to 7/64". I would be hesitant as well, but at the end of the day if your carrier/bolt/fire control group is smooth, and it's still not cycling, you need more gas.

It's 5/64" for a four-hole, and 3/32 for a three-hole.

That sounds like a much better baseline JoeAk. I have 4 at a 3/32 on mine (yes my trunnion is still intact). Every gun is different.

Anyone reading this: Dont forget the angle to drill these at.

I only scanned this topic, so forgive me if this has been addressed. Have you checked that the ports you are drilling are fully exposed by the gas block?

You are attacking this thing from the wrong end. Make sure the rest of the gun is fully functional before cutting ports. You could be too big on ports already.

That sounds like a much better baseline JoeAk. I have 4 at a 3/32 on mine (yes my trunnion is still intact). Every gun is different.

Anyone reading this: Dont forget the angle to drill these at.

I have read before that the holes should be angled. Which way should they be angled?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JoeAK" data-cid="859428" data-time="1360030674"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FORDGUY" data-cid="859369" data-time="1360025681"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SICARIO-" data-cid="859347" data-time="1360023750"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Person Dog" data-cid="859324" data-time="1360022678"><p>Sicario, have you taken a 4 porter greater than 3/32 on each port? I would be hesitant to do that.</p></blockquote>

<br />

I haven't had to go larger than 3/32" for a 4 hole. <span style='color: rgb(255,0,0)'> 5/32"</span> is usually adequate for a<span style='color: rgb(255,0,0)'> 4 hole</span>, <span style='color: rgb(255,0,0)'>3/32"</span> for the <span style='color: rgb(255,0,0)'>3 hole</span>. If 3/32" didn't work, you might try opening up one or two of the holes to 7/64". I would be hesitant as well, but at the end of the day if your carrier/bolt/fire control group is smooth, and it's still not cycling, you need more gas.</p></blockquote>

I think you got your sizes flip flopped. 5/32 is awfully big for a 4 hole.</p></blockquote>

<br />

It's 5/64" for a four-hole, and 3/32 for a three-hole.</p></blockquote>

Yes, sorry, 5/64, fat fingers...

When you take or took the gas block off to open the gas ports there should have been a round witness mark left on the barrel where the pass through hole in the gas block was located. This is the sweet spot for your gas ports. (ie-the 4 little port holes should all fall within the large round shadow left on top of the barrel from powder residue). This is the best reference I can give you to let you know if your ports are blocked.

• Like 1

If you open your ports to a recommended size, and those holes exceed the "foot print" left behind on the barrel you'll need to open the gas block opening to uncover the newly enlarged area, otherwise your spinning your wheels.

I'm not typically big on the "d" mod... but there are some times when the existing area isn't suffiecnt to expose the enlarged ports.

Edited by poolingmyignorance
When you take or took the gas block off to open the gas ports there should have been a round witness mark left on the barrel where the pass through hole in the gas block was located. This is the sweet spot for your gas ports. (ie-the 4 little port holes should all fall within the large round shadow left on top of the barrel from powder residue). This is the best reference I can give you to let you know if your ports are blocked.

Another way to check for blocked ports is to use a little dental mirror and light. I pull the plug out and puck shine a light in there and see if there are any blockages. Obviously there may be a hole completely covered that you won't see (recently happened to me).