stubborn gas block help

What have you tried to remove it? I know alot of people mention use of a rubber mallet, and that works. Sometimes. Typcically a press is the best option. You'll want something soft like a chunk of aluminum or some really hard wood to cushion the barrel while you press the block off. Another option is to heat it slightly. Don't go making it glow..just glance the block with a propane torch so it's just slightly too hot to touch (about 200degrees F)..and it'll slip off with some firm pressure.

First, thank you for the reply.

I have tried hitting a bracket wrapped in duct tape with a hammer while the barrel is resting on wood on a concrete patio. I have soaked it with clp and other lubricant oil. It has not budged a hair. I dont have a torch or a press. I may have access to both as a last resort. I can try a hair dryer I guess. It just seems like I'm missing punching out a pin.

Theres only the two bottome pins. They are machined typically to have .001-.002" INTERFERENCE... Which means the internal diameter of the gas block is actually smaller than the outside diameter. Heating the gas block will cause it to expand and relief the pressure holding it. If you can't get a torch you can always pic up a heat gun used for paint stripping or heat shrink. A cheap one from harbor freight will grun ya $15-20. Once you get it moving DON'T STOP till it's off. You can use the same technique to reinstall it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I have both gas blocks off. Took a press to remove them. Both guns are 3 ports. The 2001 is 3 at 5/64 and the 2009 model is 3 at 3/32 with one of them not fully opened up.

1. Should I put another hole in the 2009 3 porter? If I do it will have to be small as there is not room for another 3/32 hole.

2. Should I put a fourth 5/64 hole in the 2001 or just open up the 3 ports I have to 3/32?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/9817-s-20-gas-port-sizes-and-range-report/page__p__82789__hl__%2Bport+%2Bsize__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=82789

above link answered my question.

Edited by notadrone