Saiga 12 - Fuglystick / FAL Handguard Combination

I'm pleased to report to my esteemed colleagues at the Royal Society of Large-Bore Shooting Irons, that the Honored Professor Malthusias Zhirinovsky (Esq.) has returned from playing The Great Game among the Kaiser's court of the Prusso-Merovingian Empire. He has secreted out with him, at great personal risk, a rare example of a Saiga 12 Fuglystick Handguard, as are used among the feared elite Prussian Imperial Shock Troops (12th Kanoneer Infantrie Korps, Der Brandenburgers). At once upon breathing the free (if factory soot-filled) air of Her Majesty's Beloved Island, he at once set his team of armourers to work at improving the design to suit our more refined and civilized Men at War for our own Shoulder-Fired Kinetic Energy Cannons . Herein are the results.

post-13226-0-42816100-1360022947_thumb.jpg

There are several important advantages of this design over our previous handguard base. The Fuglystick is made of quite solid and exceptionally sturdy al-you-min-yum, and has marvelous reinforcements at all connection points. I dare say Hercules himself could not break it. Once it is properly mounted, anyone handling this behemoth will have no doubt that it would sustain any prolongued campaign, whether the setting require blasting Oriental airship pirates from the skies over Cathay, holding the frightful savages of the remote Saharas at bay for yet a bit longer until mechanized octoped reinforcements can arrive to restore order, or stalking the Man-Eating Elephanpotomus (created by the wicked Herr Doktor Totensmert in his fiendish laboratory) across the Mongolian Steppes.

post-13226-0-99341400-1360022996_thumb.jpg

post-13226-0-66048600-1360023025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Scratch

The one difficulty of this design, however, is related to one of the very elements of the Fuglystick which make it superior. The heavy internal reinforcements to the front attachment points are too thick to allow the FAL handguard to be simply drilled and bolted. Part of the reinforcement near the front of the HG, where the Fuglystick attaches via bolt, must be recessed in order to allow the nuts to sit somewhat flush with the rest of the reinforcement. Otherwise, you will not be able to get the HG beyond the barrel, as the nuts will protrude enough to stop the Fuglystick's rearward movment at the Saiga's gas block. So this must be countersunk a bit to bring the profile of the nuts down. I used a Dremel with a number of cutting and grinding heads.

post-13226-0-71388700-1360024524.jpg

There are also weld-points at the rear of the Fuglystick, but I had little difficulty with these; just drill through them and attach. There seemed to be plenty of weld left to maintain integrity.

post-13226-0-04842400-1360024545.jpg

It does require a bit more work to attach the wooden guard than it does with previous models I've shown here, but the results are more than worth the effort. Professor Zhirinovsky, upon using this new arrangement on his Shoulder-Fired Kinetic Energy Cannon to bring down a sizeable armoured moon spider that had been rampaging about our outlying Lunar Colonies, has declared that all future SFKEC shall henceforth be issued with identical Fuglystick furniture. We provide our Men of Action and Gallant Adventurers with only the finest projectile-launching hardware, and this is surely deserved by those discerning gentlemen upon whom we depend. And as all who are familiar with Prof. Zhirinovky's unimpeachable products well know, the Kinetic Energy Cannon is one of our most valued instruments that surely preserves rightful civilization upon the Earth. Only the finest, tut-tut and all that. God Save Our Gracious Queen!

Edited by Mr. Scratch