My saiga 5.45 for a Keltec sub 2000 in .40cal?

Heck, I'd make that trade. My Sub-2k needs to go back to keltec for reassembly (idiot disassembled it entirely, couldn't get it back together correctly, lost a spring), but I'd be happy to trade it for any sort of pistol-gripped AK/AKM/AK74.

Well the AWB would include both of these items (Keltec sub 2000 is specifically labeled in Feinstein Bill) so that's not an issue... The idea of a trade sounded desirable because I reload .40 cal and subsequently would -=hopefully=- be insulated from an ammo shortage, can load various round of all sorts of variations (weights, speeds, tracers, etc), and it uses Glock mags which are a dime in a dozen...

I want to keep my AK, but in reality the 5.45x39 might be headed towards a meek future... The most positive to keep my AK is that spare parts "should" always be available vs. the Keltec which is highly dependent on the life of Keltec.

I think in the end yous guys talked me out of it... Thanks for the input!

5.45 can be reloaded. Resize Remington .222 brass. RCBS makes reloading dies. I'vr read a few articles wherein the author reloaded steel cases. It requires annealing the cases. I'm sure there is more to it than that.

I think you're spot on reguarding KelTecs. No one knows the true longevity of them. They are a neat product but I wouldn't trust my family's life or my own to one until proven in hard conditions.

thinking of trading a AK with 1200 rounds and mags for something the looks like a toy company came with. yeah go ahead, the guy that will end up with your AK will have the best part of that trade

Lol... you're assuming too much there... I was only going to trade the rifle and maybe all the mags...

Glock mags are not a dime a dozen anymore. Theyre sold out at numerous retailers, and on back order. And for the spare parts, Id buy them now so you dont have to worry about a "what if" scenario and they possibly be unavailable for whatever reason.

I dont feel 5.45 will have a meek future. If they stop the importation of the ammo, I would bet that more domestic makers would produce it, and not just Hornady.

thinking of trading a AK with 1200 rounds and mags for something the looks like a toy company came with. yeah go ahead, the guy that will end up with your AK will have the best part of that trade

Lol... you're assuming too much there... I was only going to trade the rifle and maybe all the mags...

he still would come way ahead on that trade.

• Like 1
What spare parts do you suggest in particular?

Springs. Hammer spring, extractor, recoil, disconnector, a detent spring if you have a '74 style FSB. Pins. Pins for the bolt, trigger/hammer, shephards crook, firing pin, detent pins. Maybe a spare FCG and possibly an extractor and gas tube.

It may sound like a lot, but its really not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dude, i traded a mak90 for a keltec su16c when i first got out of college, worst trade ever. I wasn't to pleased with the rifle, it had a bad habit of getting spent shells stuck in the breach. Worse than an fte, in my opinion. Plus, keltec long guns are just flimsy, in general, even if they work alright they still feel cheap.

I have a SU-16C...that case stuck in the breach is due to the shape of the charge handle, get a regular one. Also polish the bottom of the bolt carrier to a good shine, makes things a lot better. That being said, keep the 5.45. I like my Kel Tec, but it has its purpose, which is a trunk gun, and my 5.45 is my main BR. If I thought I could trade my SU16C for another AK74, I wouldn't hesitate a second.. I dumped my 5.56 ammo and made enough to make a huge payment for a 5.45 and 2160 treats of fun, wrapped in little 5.45x39 packages.