Chickened out drilling holes

I don't disagree, but the bigger ones require a garage or at least a project room. People who don't have room for a dishwasher, probably don't have somewhere to keep a drill press. They can keep a corded drill with a half inch chuck. They can use a friend's proper shop rather than build a crappy one of their own.

I want a lathe a mill, a press brake and all that stuff, but that comes after buying a place to keep it all. You can do a lot with a little if you have to.

An air compressor, a power dril/press, and a VISE! After that a 4" angle grinder and a die grinder.

I concur... In fact, I bought my air compressor and 1st vise in the same day. My Harbor Freight (aka: cheap ass china tools) die grinder and cutoff wheel filled the void for the 4.5" angle grinder for a couple of year before I nutted up and bought a Dewalt. My original $12 90 degree HF die grinder is sitll running strong after 10+ years and doing things it never should have!!

Money spent on a tool is well invested money... period.

I don't disagree, but the bigger ones require a garage or at least a project room. People who don't have room for a dishwasher, probably don't have somewhere to keep a drill press. They can keep a corded drill with a half inch chuck. They can use a friend's proper shop rather than build a crappy one of their own.

I want a lathe a mill, a press brake and all that stuff, but that comes after buying a place to keep it all. You can do a lot with a little if you have to.

My drill press (with 1/2hp motor and 5/8" chuck) and shitty Harbor Freight 11 gallon air compressor, take up about 1/3 the room of my shitty 12 gun Sentry safe.

I enjoy reading your posts and think you're an informed guy with a good head on his shoulders, but saying that you don't have the space for this stuff is some BS. I've watched your youtube videos in a mostly empty room outside of an S-12 (good vids too). Saying that you have the skills and/or motivation to do without is a different topic. If you want some decent tools, stop fucking around and go get them. My drill press was $100 gently used (and I believe it was).

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

Here is something that has worked for me...

www.littlemachineshop.com

I've been buying from them for quite a while and continue to do so. So far they have been great; they know their stuff and don't mind steering you in the right direction. They have helped me even with stuff I bought somewhere else. To me, that's what builds customer loyalty. They have a few items I still want, but this Saiga has used up ALL my discretionary funds. I do have a wish list all typed up in my head and, if any of you wish to contribute to the cause, I can make a copy of it. And if not, that's OK too. I still love you all anyway.

Conversion done on Thursday (work and drinking time mixed in there), range time today. My baby ate everything I fed her without a single FTF or FTE! I will call this one a success, start dressing her up, and on to a 410 for the wife!

good, get started on a 410 so you can let me know what differences there are between it and the 12.

The mistake I made (I am not a machinist) is starting with the press at work. It's a single speed, too fast, and I flattened 2 bits trying to get one rivet out. When I came home from work I was determined to finish the job and out came the hand drill.

Imagine my surprise when I had gotten all the rivets out inside of 5 minutes with a $10 corded drill. Everything was smooth sailing after that, all the CSS parts fit perfectly and the only problem I had after that was the right side of the hammer spring walking a little which was fixed with a needle nosed pliers.