Any problems with RAM Ext Mag Release in VEPR 12?

I have read on some other threads from a year or so back that people were having trouble with the mags falling out of their Saiga 12s while shooting after they had installed the RAM Extended Mag release. I really would like to add this feature to both of my new VEPRs but I was wondering if this is an issue with the VEPR 12s as well or was it just a bad batch of mag releases out of RAM awhile back? Anyone have experience with these on the VEPR 12 yet? Thanks!

Yes.

It was kind of a pain in the ass at first, getting everything lined up, then i removed the magwell. I installed the new catch using a cut q-tip stick to hold it in place. The alignment pin RAM sends with, is useless. Then i reinstalled the magwell and pushed the original pin in, forcing the q-tip piece out and that was it. Be carefull with the spring, it will launch all the way across your room if you're not careful. I suggest doing it in a quiet area so you can hear where the spring lands, if it does go airborn.

post-20217-0-99313200-1360287790_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2
Yes.

It was kind of a pain in the ass at first, getting everything lined up, then i removed the magwell. I installed the new catch using a cut q-tip stick to hold it in place. The alignment pin RAM sends with, is useless. Then i reinstalled the magwell and pushed the original pin in, forcing the q-tip piece out and that was it. Be carefull with the spring, it will launch all the way across your room if you're not careful. I suggest doing it in a quiet area so you can hear where the spring lands, if it does go airborn.

attachicon.gifDSC01895.JPG

Did you fabricate your own tool to remove the magwell? (cut a slut into a flathead?)

Edited by DresNightfire

I installled the RAM Ext Mag release yesterday and it was more difficult than what I thought it would be. After much trial and error, here is what I ended up doing:

- Remove the old mag release (watch out so you do not lose the spring) and then remove the magwell.
- I tried several things (including the Q-tip trick described above) to keep the spring aligned in the mag release while assembling. This was a very frustrating step. I finally found something that made it relatively easy. Put the spring in the mag catch using the crappy undersized pin that it provided. Use a very small amout of shipping tape to cover the holes in the mag release to keep the pin and spring in place.
- Then you have to get the spring in the right spot in the receiver so that everything is in tension and the holes line up correct.

- Once you get it in the right spot, hold it there and put the magwell back in place while holding the mag release in its proper place. (this was not as tough as it sounds).
- Still making sure everything is lined up, drive a punch that is slightly smaller than the 3mm axle pin all the way through everything. This will displace the undersized pin that came with the RAM mag release. Now you should have everything in place and functioning. Check to make sure it functions properly and the spring did not move or anything.
-At this point, I loosely screwed the front of the magwell back down and drove the 3mm mag release axle pin carefully through dispacing the pin punch and holding everything together. You may have to move or wiggle the mag release some to help the 3mm axle pin work its way through everything.
- Now it was assembled and I finished tightening the front of the magwell back up.

The mag release seems well made and my mags lock up really tight without having to file on it any. I have not had a chance to shoot the gun with it installed but I can't see how the mags would come loose during shooting.

Hopefully this helps.

Edited by vette447

I have the RAM on my Saiga 12 and I do have the problem of mags dropping out. Since I have to remove it anway I just ordered the JTE version to see if I like it any better. I also ordered extra springs and pins since I think the spring is the real problem. Just doesn't seem to have the "tension" it use to. Maybe I let the spring slip but either way I should be able to fix it this go around. I have a VEPR 12 to do at the same time so when the parts get here I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I have the RAM on my Saiga 12 and I do have the problem of mags dropping out. Since I have to remove it anway I just ordered the JTE version to see if I like it any better. I also ordered extra springs and pins since I think the spring is the real problem. Just doesn't seem to have the "tension" it use to. Maybe I let the spring slip but either way I should be able to fix it this go around. I have a VEPR 12 to do at the same time so when the parts get here I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Hmmm. This one on my VEPR 12 seems to lock up really tight and still seems to have good spring tension. I guess I better go out aqnd shoot it some to see if it is a problem. I am not sure what would be different from the Saiga vs the VEPR in regard to the mag release but hopefully it is not a problem on the VEPR 12.

I installled the RAM Ext Mag release yesterday and it was more difficult than what I thought it would be. After much trial and error, here is what I ended up doing:

- Remove the old mag release (watch out so you do not lose the spring) and then remove the magwell.

- I tried several things (including the Q-tip trick described above) to keep the spring aligned in the mag release while assembling. This was a very frustrating step. I finally found something that made it relatively easy. Put the spring in the mag catch using the crappy undersized pin that it provided. Use a very small amout of shipping tape to cover the holes in the mag release to keep the pin and spring in place.

- Then you have to get the spring in the right spot in the receiver so that everything is in tension and the holes line up correct.

- Once you get it in the right spot, hold it there and put the magwell back in place while holding the mag release in its proper place. (this was not as tough as it sounds).

- Still making sure everything is lined up, drive a punch that is slightly smaller than the 3mm axle pin all the way through everything. This will displace the undersized pin that came with the RAM mag release. Now you should have everything in place and functioning. Check to make sure it functions properly and the spring did not move or anything.

-At this point, I loosely screwed the front of the magwell back down and drove the 3mm mag release axle pin carefully through dispacing the pin punch and holding everything together. You may have to move or wiggle the mag release some to help the 3mm axle pin work its way through everything.

- Now it was assembled and I finished tightening the front of the magwell back up.

The mag release seems well made and my mags lock up really tight without having to file on it any. I have not had a chance to shoot the gun with it installed but I can't see how the mags would come loose during shooting.

Hopefully this helps.

Yep, more or less, thats how you do it. Thats how I did it too. No problems with using the Ram mag release in either my S12 or V12.

Does this get in the way of the Bolt Hold Open (BHO) button at all? I saw that someone cut off one side of the RAM extended mag release to allow room and access to the BHO button...

I looked at it and I guess you could say that. Its not really a button I ever use so yes and no. You could trim a small amount off of the left/right side of it to have better access but its nothing moving the latch forward with your finger wont fix. It doesn't make it inoperable.

Have a look, yeah:gallery_24335_1031_121031.jpg

I have read on some other threads from a year or so back that people were having trouble with the mags falling out of their Saiga 12s while shooting after they had installed the RAM Extended Mag release. I really would like to add this feature to both of my new VEPRs but I was wondering if this is an issue with the VEPR 12s as well or was it just a bad batch of mag releases out of RAM awhile back? Anyone have experience with these on the VEPR 12 yet? Thanks!

Also to add, the RAM EMR may not be the reason the mags dont drop free. Right now my current problem is the mags fit too tightly in the magwell and that is the reason they do not drop free. Just FYI.

and this is only in my vepr. mags drop free with my Saiga......except 1....not sure why at the moment. dont really care to address the problem right now.

Does this get in the way of the Bolt Hold Open (BHO) button at all? I saw that someone cut off one side of the RAM extended mag release to allow room and access to the BHO button...

I looked at it and I guess you could say that. Its not really a button I ever use so yes and no. You could trim a small amount off of the left/right side of it to have better access but its nothing moving the latch forward with your finger wont fix. It doesn't make it inoperable.

I use this button all the time, especially when doing chamber checks and keeping the bolt locked back when the magazine is not inserted. I typically rack the bolt back with my thumb, and press the BHO button with my middle finger to engage the BHO. It's required by the range officer at the range, and I typically leave the bolt locked back during transportation (though any hard knock to it will release the bolt on it's own and even more so with an m4). It's a great added feature that spoils VEPR 12 owners, but it purely personal preference if you wish to use it or not.

I use this button all the time, especially when doing chamber checks and keeping the bolt locked back when the magazine is not inserted. I typically rack the bolt back with my thumb, and press the BHO button with my middle finger to engage the BHO. It's required by the range officer at the range, and I typically leave the bolt locked back during transportation (though any hard knock to it will release the bolt on it's own and even more so with an m4). It's a great added feature that spoils VEPR 12 owners, but it purely personal preference if you wish to use it or not.

I see. I never goto the range or have to deal with any of those people so thats probably why I dont really ever use it. That and the LRBHO kindof does the job for me. then I can just eject the empty mag and see that the S12 is clear.

But yeah, you could probably shave a some off of there if you wanted to. not sure how it would affect strength???? probably wouldn't.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't had any mags fall out while shooting yet but they can if you are using a sling thats for sure. Don't get me wrong...this mag release is great and can increase reload times but IMO it's better for a competition shooter or for a range gun. For serious use/field use it just doesn't seem all that practical to me. I put one on my Vepr and I was going to keep it as more of a comp gun/range toy but soon enough I had the molot style brake off and was in the sticks hunting wascally wabbits Elmer Fudd style. Thats when I started having issues with the release. I had mags fall out on a couple occasions when going from a sling carry position to trying to shoulder the shotty. It just seemed like it wanted to catch on stuff on the way up to be fired. I'm thinking they had it right the first time so I will probably end up switching it out back to the original release or maybe something similar with a little longer tab...we will see.

Edited by raidersfan_5544
  • Like 1

I see. I never goto the range or have to deal with any of those people so thats probably why I dont really ever use it. That and the LRBHO kindof does the job for me. then I can just eject the empty mag and see that the S12 is clear.

But yeah, you could probably shave a some off of there if you wanted to. not sure how it would affect strength???? probably wouldn't.

Update: I installed the RAM and it does not get it in the way of the BHO button at all. This is definitely a must for IPSC 3-Gun competitors, shaves down time on mag reloads.

• Like 1

Alright guys. I took my magwell apart because it was too tight. Sanding fixed that but while I had it off I figured I would replace the mag release. How the heck do you align the spring when re installing this? Tried to get it for over an hour last night and gave up.

Thanks

Edited by traintrax
That is the most frustrating part. Read my long winded description above and see if it helps.

Oh, I read it. I seem to be having trouble finding the "right spot" for the spring on the receiver side...

This may help you out, I removed and reinstalled the RAM release (in order to file down the end to match the length of factory mag release tab as my mags weren't seating properly and my empty magazines were not falling out of the magwell on their own, so this fixed it). Try to use this as a guide for your installation with the magwell (I hope this helps):

*work on a table top with plenty of light you can see the installation pin from each side

1) With the spring and installation in place in the RAM lever, place it down into the magwell like this:

RAM_1_zpse4705687.jpg

2) Carefully lower the RAM lever (keeping the spring and installation pin in place):

RAM_2_zps58c15a71.jpg

3. Place the magwell into position (ensuring the RAM lever and it's contents are still intact):

RAM_4_zps2205102d.jpg

4. Your RAM lever should now look like this:

RAM_3_zps48142ad0.jpg

5. At this moment you will push the RAM lever horizontally from inside of the magwell (which will compress the spring) and position it vertically until you can see the installation pin. Push the installation pin out from the left side of the receiver to the right side of the receiver with your AK punch tool (came with your VEPR 12) or a punch tool.

Hint: Tilt the receiver towards it's left side to help position the spring before pushing and positioning the RAM lever into place. If you see the installation pin above or past the hole at any point, you have gone too far will have to start back at Step 1.

6. After your punch is holding it all together, install the final pin by knocking it from the right side of the receiver out to the left side of the receiver. Once you install your magwell screw, you are done! With patience and plenty of light, you should be able to install it successfully.

Well I pulled the RAM off my Saiga and replaced the spring but sadly no help. The mag will still drop out unexpectidly and yes I tried different mags. If it won't work on my Saiga I am sure as hell not gonna but it on my Vepr! I think I'll try the JTE tonight and run it tomorrow...if not I am going back to the original. What kills me is that it feels good and tight, seems to hold well...until firing anyway.

Well I pulled the RAM off my Saiga and replaced the spring but sadly no help. The mag will still drop out unexpectidly and yes I tried different mags. If it won't work on my Saiga I am sure as hell not gonna but it on my Vepr! I think I'll try the JTE tonight and run it tomorrow...if not I am going back to the original. What kills me is that it feels good and tight, seems to hold well...until firing anyway.

Did you file down the top of the RAM mag catch? It's longer than the factory mag catch.