Illinois; Dick Durbin response......

"Dear Mr. Gxxxxxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me about gun violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you.

Americans are entitled to own and use guns responsibly. The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees this right. In 2008, in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, the Supreme Court struck down the District’s handgun ban and affirmed Second Amendment rights. However, the Court also noted in its decision that Second Amendment rights are subject to reasonable limitations. To this end, I plan to hold a Senate Judiciary Hearing in the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Subcommittee to address this Constitutional question and how to most appropriately address gun control issues.

Within this context, we must work to pursue policies and enforce existing laws to protect Americans from becoming victims of gun violence. Strong penalties for violent crimes involving firearms should be part of any effort to reduce gun violence. I have consistently supported tough crime control and prevention initiatives since coming to Congress.

I support efforts that address illegal possession and use of firearms. Common sense restrictions such as bans on multi-round magazines and assault weapons are supported by law enforcement officials who patrol our streets. I also support universal background checks to prevent the transfer of firearms without a background check by non-licensed gun sellers.

We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. Straw purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties. There should be limits on how many firearms may be purchased in one month. Those who own firearms that are within the reach of children should have protective locks on their weapons.

Although we may disagree on this issue, I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate considers gun violence prevention measures. I will continue to uphold the right to bear arms and do not seek to diminish the ability of Americans to do so. We must strike a balance between protecting our constitutional rights and preventing senseless acts of violence that have led to the loss of countless lives in Illinois and across America.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator

RJD/bc"

Fuck him and his common sense!

• Like 2

Take away the armed guards for our elected officials and force them to use Obamacare just like the rest of us, and we'll see how they feel about these bullshit laws and regulations they've shoved on us.

As a wise man once said, "If they keep cornering and harassing the rattlesnake, it will have no option but to strike back."

Damn pussies...

• Like 2
Take away the armed guards for our elected officials and force them to use Obamacare just like the rest of us, and we'll see how they feel about these bullshit laws and regulations they've shoved on us. As a wise man once said, "If they keep cornering and harassing the rattlesnake, it will have no option but to strike back." Damn pussies...

I like this saying, gona use it in my sigline.

Vote the SOB out Mullet Man.

I guess I don't have to wait for a reply from him anymore then, I'm sure I'll get the same letter. What a D-Bag, he recognizes the 2nd Amendment and then proceeds under cover of "reasonable limitations" to tear down, restrict & castrate the very Amendment he just supported.

I don't trust this POS at all, it's like talking to a snake.

February 11, 2013

Dear Mr. X

Thank you for contacting me about changes to Senate procedure as part of the gun violence prevention debate. I appreciate hearing from you.

Filibusters are one of the most distinctive features of the Senate. The ability of Senators to filibuster, or block, legislation exists because Senate Rules place no definitive time limits on the length of debate. However, the Senate does have a procedure in place to overcome a filibuster.

Under Rule XXII of the Senate, cloture may be used to bring to a close debate on legislation and end a filibuster. Cloture provides the only means for the Senate to end debate without also rejecting the measure it has been debating. With a vote of three-fifths of Senators duly chosen and sworn, or 60 votes if there are no vacancies in the Senate, debate is ended and the Senate must then act on the pending measure.

The filibuster was traditionally a rare occurrence in the Senate. Unfortunately, some Senators have abused the filibuster and used it to stall work in the Senate and block bill after bill. In recent Congresses, there have been far more filibusters than ever before in the history of the Senate.

Many are concerned about changes to Senate Rules in the context of the debate about gun violence prevention. The majority of Americans and the majority of thoughtful gun owners agree that now is the time for a serious discussion about reasonable limits on gun ownership and weapons.

Thank you again for your message. I will keep your thoughts in mind should any additional legislation on these matters come to the Senate floor for consideration. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin

United States Senator

RJD/jv

He just sends what ever he wants, I contacted him asking him to protect the second amendment and this is what I get back....an education on the senate filibuster rules.

Edited by Venia
February 11, 2013
Dear Mr. X
Thank you for contacting me about changes to Senate procedure as part of the gun violence prevention debate. I appreciate hearing from you.
Filibusters are one of the most distinctive features of the Senate. The ability of Senators to filibuster, or block, legislation exists because Senate Rules place no definitive time limits on the length of debate. However, the Senate does have a procedure in place to overcome a filibuster.
Under Rule XXII of the Senate, cloture may be used to bring to a close debate on legislation and end a filibuster. Cloture provides the only means for the Senate to end debate without also rejecting the measure it has been debating. With a vote of three-fifths of Senators duly chosen and sworn, or 60 votes if there are no vacancies in the Senate, debate is ended and the Senate must then act on the pending measure.
The filibuster was traditionally a rare occurrence in the Senate. Unfortunately, some Senators have abused the filibuster and used it to stall work in the Senate and block bill after bill. In recent Congresses, there have been far more filibusters than ever before in the history of the Senate.
Many are concerned about changes to Senate Rules in the context of the debate about gun violence prevention. The majority of Americans and the majority of thoughtful gun owners agree that now is the time for a serious discussion about reasonable limits on gun ownership and weapons.
Thank you again for your message. I will keep your thoughts in mind should any additional legislation on these matters come to the Senate floor for consideration. Please feel free to keep in touch.
Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator
RJD/jv
He just sends what ever he wants, I contacted him asking him to protect the second amendment and this is what I get back....an education on the senate filibuster rules.

Proves they don't give one shit about you, much less two Johnboy.gif

"Dear Mr. Gxxxxxxxxx:
Thank you for contacting me about gun violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you.
Americans are entitled to own and use guns responsibly. The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees this right. In 2008, in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, the Supreme Court struck down the District’s handgun ban and affirmed Second Amendment rights. However, the Court also noted in its decision that Second Amendment rights are subject to reasonable limitations. To this end, I plan to hold a Senate Judiciary Hearing in the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Subcommittee to address this Constitutional question and how to most appropriately address gun control issues.
Meaning they will conclude "reasonable limitations" is a single shot firearm.
Within this context, we must work to pursue policies and enforce existing laws to protect Americans from becoming victims of gun violence. Strong penalties for violent crimes involving firearms should be part of any effort to reduce gun violence. I have consistently supported tough crime control and prevention initiatives since coming to Congress.
I support efforts that address illegal possession and use of firearms. Common sense restrictions such as bans on multi-round magazines and assault weapons are supported by law enforcement officials who patrol our streets. I also support universal background checks to prevent the transfer of firearms without a background check by non-licensed gun sellers.
There is nothing common sense about this and semi auto rifles are not assault rifles AND only big city politicized cops back this
We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring 1) those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. 2) Straw purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties. 3) There should be limits on how many firearms may be purchased in one month. 4)Those who own firearms that are within the reach of children should have protective locks on their weapons.
1) These people are ALREADY barred from owing guns.What part of against the law do you not understand. Define terrorist.
2) Like that lump of sh*t Eric Holder and the BATFE. They allowed thousands of straw transaction to occur even after the FFL's protested!
3) Why? Explain how that will stop the people in (1) from just waiting a few months to act out so they can have several weapons??
4) So anyone with kids and not just your own but any in a 5 mile radius will have to lock up their single shot "reasonable limitation" firearm.
Although we may disagree on this issue, I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate considers gun violence prevention measures. I will continue to uphold the right to bear arms and do not seek to diminish the ability of Americans to do so. We must strike a balance between protecting our constitutional rights and preventing senseless acts of violence that have led to the loss of countless lives in Illinois and across America.
BULLSHIT
Thank you, Screw you again for contacting me. Please feel free to stay in touch.
Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator
RJD/bc"
Fuck him and his common sense!

^^ Yep. What a pathetic lying POS. What do you expect from a guy named DICK.

Edited by U.S Praetorian
  • Like 1