Bonesteel folders - first time out

I picked up a Galil style left folder and a left folding collapsible AR stock from Bonesteel.

Took the guns to the range today with both mounted to see how I like them,

I have to say the fit and finish on both is simply excellent in every respect and I doubt I will ever buy another brand of (crap) stock again.

Simple to mount, rock solid as hell, functions perfectly... in short, they work great and the whole experience with them has been zero bullshit from square one.

Don't hesitate, spend the bucks and don't look back, worth every cent in my opinion.

Now, if they will just make one that will fit an AMD 65 I would be all over that one too.

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought this thread was supposed to be about how awesome our folding stocks are.

I strongly recommend right folding for right handers and left folders for left handers.   There are arguments for either way, but I feel that the rifle carrying with the stock to the outside while s

I picked up a Galil style left folder and a left folding collapsible AR stock from Bonesteel.   Took the guns to the range today with both mounted to see how I like them,   I have to say the fit a

Posted Images

Mine took about three weeks plus shipping time to arrive. Their webpage has a note about how slammed they are with orders and states orders will take longer than normal to process due to the volume. I didn't like the idea of waiting either, but I'm 110% glad I did. I will most likely order one or two more soon to go on other guns and expect a long wait. It seems like everything in the gun business worth having is back ordered right now, so Bonesteel is no different than everyone else in this regard.

Hang in there, it's worth the wait.

• Like 1

I can do that but it will be this weekend before I have a camera, mine is on vacation with inlaws.

I would suggest a left folder because it is on the opposite side of the bolt handle. I would suggest a right folder because it folds to the side oppiste the optics mounting rail.

I went with a Chaos quad rail so I would rather block the sight rail on the receiver than have the folder on the bolt handle side.

The hinge tucks up nicely to the receiver and doesn't stick out like an abomination, so either way it will be compact.

ahhh, just ordered one lastnight. The 3 weeks + is going to be a brutal wait! Oh well, at least I know it's worth it. I got the right side folder for my Saiga 12.

Did they tell you it would be a 3 week wait?

no, I have been going off what people have been saying on different posts. I have no clue if it will be that long for sure. There is a disclaimer on the website that says they are backlogged on stock orders.

Did they tell you it would be a 3 week wait?

Mine (right folding Galil stock) took a month because I ordered when they were out of stock/back-ordered and it was around Christmas time.

All of Bonesteel products seem to be top notch. If you have the patience and money you will be rewarded with the best.

Quote from above post: "I didn't like the idea of waiting either, but I'm 110% glad."

post-45752-0-50899300-1360363271.jpeg

I strongly recommend right folding for right handers and left folders for left handers.

There are arguments for either way, but I feel that the rifle carrying with the stock to the outside while slung is far superior. The stock is much quicker to deploy, as first you can use the fingers of your firing hand to unfold stock, and second, the stock does not have to cross your body when unfolding.

Fast deployment is far more of a concern for me, than comfort when firing folded.

While it may seem cool to fire with the stock folded, it is far more effective to acually use your stock, folding is for storage/carry, and not for hip shooting.

• Like 4

I think left folding is superior, especially on an AK type rifle. It keeps the stock totally clear of the charging handle, ejection port, and selector. Firing with the stock folded is highly sub-optimal, but you should always retain the ability to do so (including easy operation of all the controls) in an emergency. I think that a folding stock is best for storage and transport, not for carry. I prefer a sling mount on the stock itself farther back, and carry slung with the stock extended. There is no benefit to carrying on a sling with the stock folded, and it has the disadvantage of being slower to deploy.

Edited by Netpackrat

I agree with netpackrat that folding stocks are best suited for storage/transport and not carry. If the weapon is slung, i see no reaaon to have the stock folded except for maybe vehicle manuevers. But i disagree that left folders are superior, especially when using an optics rail and mount as they would prohibit the stock from locking in the open position. The only way i would go left folder is if the gun doesnt have an optics mount or i wouldnt be utilizing it on that particular weapon. The good thing about bonesteel stocks is that from the pictures ive seen, they clear the charging handle and ejection port. Only issue would be the safety

There is definitely an advantage to carrying with the stock folded. The extended stock can easily interfere with right arm movement and is generally more cumbersome feeling.

It is slightly slower to deploy the rifle and unfold the stock, than to deploy the rifle with the stock already extended, but by only a fraction of a second. That fraction of a second is almost always worth it "in an emergency", where your concern lies with being able to operate the controls easily when folded, it is worth the extra time to deploy your stock, it is very similar to taking the extra time to aim your weapon. By having the stock fold towards the firing hand, the deploy time is far shorter, with practice almost unnoticeable.

I see your points, I just don't agree with them.

• Like 1
There is definitely an advantage to carrying with the stock folded. The extended stock can easily interfere with right arm movement and is generally more cumbersome feeling.

When I'm carrying on a sling, I almost always carry it on my off (left) side, muzzle down. So it's pretty hard for the extended stock to interfere with anything.

It is slightly slower to deploy the rifle and unfold the stock, than to deploy the rifle with the stock already extended, but by only a fraction of a second. That fraction of a second is almost always worth it "in an emergency", where your concern lies with being able to operate the controls easily when folded, it is worth the extra time to deploy your stock, it is very similar to taking the extra time to aim your weapon. By having the stock fold towards the firing hand, the deploy time is far shorter, with practice almost unnoticeable.

Just the same, I would rather retain the option.

I see your points, I just don't agree with them.

The nice thing is that nobody says we have to set our rifles up the same way.

But i disagree that left folders are superior, especially when using an optics rail and mount as they would prohibit the stock from locking in the open position. The only way i would go left folder is if the gun doesnt have an optics mount or i wouldnt be utilizing it on that particular weapon.

That's one reason I don't use side rail mounts anymore. I used to think they were the greatest thing, but in a world with optics mounts from TWS and Krebs, plus the forward mount options, I just don't see as much reason for putting up with the deficiencies of the side rails. I actually just removed the side rail from my .308 the other day, and re-riveted the holes. I was going to weld up the forward (non rear trunnion) holes and polish flush, but I decided to just drive new rivets in case I change my mind and want to re-mount the rail, so the holes will still be there. But I doubt if I ever will since I am pretty happy with the TWS rail that I'm using with it. Removing the rail smooths the receiver a little and gives one less thing to snag on. I'll probably do the same thing to my S-12 when I get around to it, since I have no intention of ever mounting an optic on it.

The good thing about bonesteel stocks is that from the pictures ive seen, they clear the charging handle and ejection port. Only issue would be the safety

I'm not really a fan of the galil or AR style stocks (from any maker- not picking on Bonesteel here at all). Partly because most of the options for an adjustable cheek riser for them suck (unless of course you buy the high zoot Magpul sniper stock). And if you need to add one so you can get a good cheek weld with your optic, then you are back to the stock not clearing the ejection port. If your optic is a low mounted red dot that cowitnesses your irons, then the cheek riser is neither necessary nor desirable for the most part, but if you have a magnified optic it's probably going to sit high enough that you'll want one.

The sling options for the galil stocks are also not so good. You're basically looking at either looping the sling around the lower tube, or putting the rear sling mount on your folding mechanism/adapter. Which I expect is probably great if you like slinging your right side folder with the stock folded. It's not so good for the way I prefer to sling my rifle.

I LOVE my Bonsteel folding AR adapter! I like mine left folding for right hand. Leaves the gun fully functional while folded.

Netpackrat, I worry about carrying a gun slung muzzle down. I have had my feet slide from under me and hit my rear end plenty of times. I prefer to jam the butt of the gun into the dirt and rocks rather than the muzzle. I will never sling a gun muzzle down.

Usually when I'm out hunting or whatever, the weather is crap. I guess it's a choice between the possibility of jamming the muzzle into the ground, snow, or whatever, or the certainty of getting snow and rain (not to mention twigs and crap from pushing through brush) into the muzzle. And if that muzzle is protected by a flash hider or muzzle brake, there's not much to worry about anyway. Also, if you are scrambling trying to keep your footing, and you manage to discharge, it's probably better that the shot go into the ground.

And if you need to bring your rifle up quickly, muzzle down off side lends itself to that. Muzzle up strong side can be very fast in that regard too, at the price of covering everything in a line behind you with your muzzle as you whip the gun around from the slung position.

Just one of those things where you make your choice and take your chance. Truthfully, most of the time I carry my rifle or shotgun in my hands due to all the bears and moose in my area. I usually only use the sling when I want to give my arms a break.

I think that a folding stock is best for storage and transport, not for carry.

I thought walking in the woods with a folded stock i.e. transporting it, was considered "carry"? Anyway, I think ObiWanBonJovi is totally correct in that the right side folded stock (for right handed people) is very quick to deploy and is best; see below video.

Note: I'm not a soldier so this is my opinion from using my Saiga.

Edited by sweetcostarica
Netpackrat, I worry about carrying a gun slung muzzle down. I have had my feet slide from under me and hit my rear end plenty of times. I prefer to jam the butt of the gun into the dirt and rocks rather than the muzzle. I will never sling a gun muzzle down.

Good point. One of the more common accidental gunshot wounds seen on the battlefield is from soldiers shooting themselves in the knee and having the 5.56 bullet exit somewhere around the ankle. Very nasty wound. This from the one point sling carry method where the muzzle is pointing down and to the left. Wish I had the video to post of the doctor/surgeon explaining this.

I got mine in about 4 weeks. I originally wanted the left side folder but after more consideration, I decided for a right side folder and a NATO length stock. The right side folder is actually more compact (width-wise) because its about as wide as the charging handle (extending past the receiver).

Not a S12 but should function the same.

77DC06C0-9018-4A28-9D86-08F29C47BBE6-378

Just one of those things where you make your choice and take your chance. Truthfully, most of the time I carry my rifle or shotgun in my hands due to all the bears and moose in my area. I usually only use the sling when I want to give my arms a break.

The pictures below show how that the right side folder is favored and carried by some of the people who use them daily as a main battle weapon. Also you can get an idea of how the Saiga 12 would be transported if it were used by the North Koreans.

post-45752-0-66098900-1360734801.jpg

post-45752-0-56041100-1360734819.jpg

I thought walking in the woods with a folded stock i.e. transporting it, was considered "carry"? Anyway, I think ObiWanBonJovi is totally correct in that the right side folded stock (for right handed people) is very quick to deploy and is best; see below video.

By transport, I mean in a vehicle, case, etc. It implies you are not using it at the time, and just trying to move it from one place to another. If you are carrying it with the expectation that you might have to use it (like in the woods) then you should have it ready for use, with the stock extended. All that video proves is that with enough practice you can work around something that is stupid. Doesn't make it any less stupid. Look how many times the hand had to leave the grip to work through those contortions. With the left side folders on my AKs, the right hand grasps the grip, pulls the rifle out of its bag, then the left pulls the stock back and locked, right finger sweeps the safety off. At no time do I need to take my hand off the grip. It's much simpler, which usually means faster, and less likely to be screwed up.

And that's just dealing with a plain stock for irons or a low mounted red dot. If you are running a scope with some decent magnification, it's going to be mounted a bit higher, and the low stock that clears the charging handle will be at a disadvantage for accurate shooting. You really need a stock with an adjustable cheek rest, and there the shortcomings of a right side folder really begin to become apparent. Here's my S-308, for example:

s308sneaky.jpg

I wasn't really happy about how high the scope had to be mounted to clear the dogleg of the mount, and the rear sight block, but you're not really going to get around that on an AK (for a consolation prize, by using see through rings, I was able to retain back up use of the iron sights). It could maybe go a little lower with exactly the right rings, but not enough to allow for a decent cheek weld with one of the standard skeleton or AR type stocks. So, some sort of cheek riser is going to be necessary. And as you can see from the picture, that wouldn't work so well with a right side folder. It may clear the charging handle with the bolt carrier forward, but even the act of clearing the rifle would be a pain. Folded to the left, I can keep it adjusted properly, and it's totally out of the way of the weapon's controls.

• Like 1
The pictures below show how that the right side folder is favored and carried by some of the people who use them daily as a main battle weapon. Also you can get an idea of how the Saiga 12 would be transported if it were used by the North Koreans.

The Norks? Seriously? It would have made a lot more sense to post pictures of the Russians, since they have actually been involved in more than a decades long staring contest, when it comes to using their rifles as weapons. But I don't suppose that would have been as convenient for your argument, since the folding stocks the Russians are making, fold to the left. They persist with their left side folders, despite the incompatibility between them and their side mount optics.

Good point. One of the more common accidental gunshot wounds seen on the battlefield is from soldiers shooting themselves in the knee and having the 5.56 bullet exit somewhere around the ankle. Very nasty wound. This from the one point sling carry method where the muzzle is pointing down and to the left. Wish I had the video to post of the doctor/surgeon explaining this.

Not sure if this is the same video but it covers some very good topics including the single point sling knee wound. I don't think I'm allowed to post links so go to youtube and search "9 vs 45 brackish" and it should be the first video. I am also interested in the Bonesteel folding hinge. I am not interested in cutting the tang. I have a left side charging handle and do not want it to interfere with stock folded. Nor do I want to cover the safety and trigger. I will most likely go without it but I am still always looking for options.