Few Questions about Mak 90's.

My MAK 90 and BWK-92 have the best triggers of all my AK's and of any trigger on any AK I have handled - and they are both double hook triggers. I also like the chrome / stainless steel usage. Furniture sucks. Fit is fine (sharp, rough edges), finish is "Meh"... The steel used is okay...

All in all - I like 'em better than ROMAK or anything domestically produced. The receivers are fully hardened, not just the axis pin holes.

They got a bad rap in the early '90's because they were being compared to MADDI's and pre-MAK90 Chinese imports...

Back in the 20-to-a-crate days, (1991-1994) you could have gotten all 20 rifles and the crate (and mags, tools, etc) for around $4,000.... and all the rifles would have been sequentially serial numbered. JIM's in Fayetteville, NC had such a deal for quite a while... They also had the same on NICrate SKS's at $79 ea. x 20 rifles... But nobody wanted SKS's...then...

Yeah. I have no issues with the trigger. The furniture, I may strip and stain, but I'm keeping the thumbhole. I have a regular stock on my Saiga, so this is fine as is. Finish on the milled Mak seems fine to me......

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post as of late guys. 032.gif

I like my Mak 90 and I don't like some Little Dick talking smack about it.

I thought they would still be legal, As I bought it that way and there are a ton of them for sell with a 30 mag on them.

I'll have to go get my mak and take some pics. It's different then most of them. It is threaded under a brased on coller.

Thanks for the new post. Stryker

post-44856-0-53332400-1363212951_thumb.jpgpost-44856-0-13882800-1363213003_thumb.jpg

Just thought I would post a couple of pictures of what can be done with a slant cut MAK90, some 6061 Aluminum, a milling machine, and about 3 days of spare time! I machined everything except the hinge which I bought on Fleabay and coated it with Norrells Moly Resin. I just could not look at that horrible ATI fibreforce stock any more and I never liked the thumbhole stock. I do like the Ironwood designs stocks they look awesome but it was winter and I had more time than money!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My personal opinion is that the MAK90's were and still are some of the highest quality AK's out there. I like the bluing as well as the thicker receiver. I've owned many stamped and one milled MAK, and in general they were all better quality than most AK's I've seen/owned/built. My preference if they're slant cut is to weld the back into a standard straight configuration and reblue. Then you aren't limited on stocks. They really look good with the IWD designs furniture on them. Also on two of mine there was enough meat left on the barrel to thread it standard 14x1LH for a regular slant cut brake. I use a crush washer and red Loctite.

Edited by 2ndAmendican
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone owned one of these that the end of the barrel looked like that? Arn't they all pre banned mak 90's or was there a Norinco out and then they banned it and went with the thumb hole stock. I'll have to go get mine one of these days and get some pics of it. Have not seen another one like, But this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=337434176#PIC

Edited by Stryker100
  • 2 months later...