What color to paint new-to-me scope?

Hi guys,

As some of you may know I have a 5.45 Saiga that I converted and put Bulgy plum furniture on. I put the Mojo MicroClick aperture sight on it about 2 years ago and really like it, and had a cheapo Tasco 39x40 scope on it that I used to shoot out to 500 yards. Well, that thing just didn't have enough clicky adjustment to get me any more elevation, so I asked my buddies what they recommended for shooting 800+ yards with something like a 5.45/.223. One of them told me he had this scope that I could take off his hands. He said he'd give me a good deal since it was all painted up and the paint was not in good condition. All he said it was BIG and camo, so I said I would try it out.

What's the worst that could happen?

IMG_2098.jpg?t=1360216065
IMG_2099.jpg?t=1360216063
IMG_2101.jpg?t=1360216077

He was right - It's REALLY BIG! And quite heavy I might add. The zoom lever goes from 5.5 to 22. It zooms in a LOT more than my tasco and this one has more than one crosshair. Lots of tick marks!

IMG_2104.jpg?t=1360216716

Think that will be enough to compensate for bullet drop well past 1000 yards.

The mount that came with it looks beefy and says LARUE LT104 on the bottom. I guess that's a strong enough mount to hold this big boy on my rifle.

Anyhow, I was wondering what color I should paint it, since the camo doesn't really go with my bulgy plum scheme. The scope is black underneath the paint. I can see it where it's scratched off, but I don't want to mess around with stripping it off. I was thinking of either painting it kind of deep purple/plum like most of the furniture, or the burnt orange/salmon color to match the pistol grip.

Suggestions welcome.

Edited by toshbar

ok, this might sound a little off, but why would you be shoot out at that distance with a 5.45? Now the 5.56 is meant to be shot at at area target up to 500. Thats an area target not a point target which I believe is only 300 meters. Your asking, in my humble opinion, way to much out of the 5.45 projectile.

ok, this might sound a little off, but why would you be shoot out at that distance with a 5.45? Now the 5.56 is meant to be shot at at area target up to 500. Thats an area target not a point target which I believe is only 300 meters. Your asking, in my humble opinion, way to much out of the 5.45 projectile.

The 5.45 is just as capable as the 5.56 at those distances.

I feel you greatly underestimate the capability of this cartridge.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously I am not underestimating the capabilities of the 5.45 round. That being said, the 5.56 and the 5.45 were not designed to shoot out to 800 plus. They were and are designed for 500 and less, preferably 300. Its not a sniping round in any sense of the word. Its a good round for what it does. The 5.45 is a battle rifle. Not a sniper rifle.. Its just not designed to reach out that far effectively. Could you hit a b-mod man sized target at 800 with a scope? Sure you probably could. But saying its effective out that far is like saying my 85 celica can go 140 miles an hours. It probably could but would you really want to? In my fourteen years in the military, including 4 years as a weapons instructor I never once had someone say. "Man I can really tear up shit at 800 meters with my AR. Hell in Afghanistan we complained about the lack of power past 400 on point targets and were wishing me had M-14s at one point. Again, to avoid all those who love the round I say this. Its a battle rifle, and good at what it does. If I want a Russian sniper rifle I would get a dragonov or SV-98 or even a Orsis T-5000. The latter being chambered in the 338 lapua or 308 winchester.

• Like 1
Seriously I am not underestimating the capabilities of the 5.45 round. That being said, the 5.56 and the 5.45 were not designed to shoot out to 800 plus. They were and are designed for 500 and less, preferably 300. Its not a sniping round in any sense of the word. Its a good round for what it does. The 5.45 is a battle rifle. Not a sniper rifle.. Its just not designed to reach out that far effectively. Could you hit a b-mod man sized target at 800 with a scope? Sure you probably could. But saying its effective out that far is like saying my 85 celica can go 140 miles an hours. It probably could but would you really want to? In my fourteen years in the military, including 4 years as a weapons instructor I never once had someone say. "Man I can really tear up shit at 800 meters with my AR. Hell in Afghanistan we complained about the lack of power past 400 on point targets and were wishing me had M-14s at one point. Again, to avoid all those who love the round I say this. Its a battle rifle, and good at what it does. If I want a Russian sniper rifle I would get a dragonov or SV-98 or even a Orsis T-5000. The latter being chambered in the 338 lapua or 308 winchester.

Well to be honest, I feel its a waste to attempt to shoot that far with any caliber smaller than .30 (generally), for reasons you stated above. In the post I quoted you in above, it kinda sounded like you were implying that the round is shit. lol. But with your clarification, I do agree.

I really like the round. Its great for what it does. And if when I went out to get my rifle and had a choice between the 5.45 or the 7.62. I would have chosen the 5.45. Sadly I can not for the life of me get ammo for my 7.62. But my local fleet farm always has tins of 5.45 available. I was shocked when i went in there today and they had a century arms yugo for sale with t-6 stock. The price was super high. 1000 but i suppose with the present climate its to be expected.