Thinking about setting up some emergency supplies for future disasters like floods,tornadoes and hurricans and such. Thinking any where from 3 days to 1wk supply. The longest situation in NC that I have been in was for three weeks the power was off and roads iced over with supermarkets and gas stations closed for about 1wk of the three. What kind of input you guys have and feel free to share some pics of your setup.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by LOVE MY SAIGA!

I have four tubs of misc. food, under the house.

All of the high carbs and protein that you would normally eat.

Pasta noodles, canned sauces, canned veggies, canned and preserved meats.

I just opened a tube of "summer sausage", from Costco, to check it's shelf-life. After two years of storage at about 65 deg F. It was fine. The family ate it over the the course of the next week.

I believe that "meat-tube" had a ton of protein and calories when I did the math (at least enough to feed a man for a week.

Just make sure you have water too.

The only thing that beats canned and tube protein is fresh protein.

Edited by Sim_Player

Here's some ideas based on different diets and situations:

The Rice Bug-In solution

-Water (1 gallon per person per day, Ideally 2-3 though, go to store, save your soda bottles, empty, clean, fill with extremely Hot water, shake, rinse, refill with hot water, this will prevent leaching of plastic into water and prevent expansion due to freezing)

-Rice

-Some large enough pottery with "lids" from your local garden store (for cooking rice on a camp fire, obviously no holes in the bottoms)

-Canned vegetables that go well with rice

-Jerky, freeze dried and/or canned meats to go with rice

My Cheap Mobile MRE solution

I'd like to make a note that I've counted calories, checked protein contents, vitamin contents and the general necessities of what it takes to live out in the field and have personally tested this in Extremely High Calorie situations. This isn't a bullshit untested list like you'll find in most lists. My original intent was to maximize calorie content, stay healthy, keep weight down and save space all while saving myself cash in relation to MREs. I've lived on this type of food for extended periods and it works well enough to keep me alive and functioning properly. Furthermore, I took into account keeping regular with apple sauce and fruit. Fat is not the enemy, fat is the highest calorie per pound substance known to man and thus a great weight saver. High fat content is essential when your body is burning 8000+ calories a day. High Protein through meat is essential in this situation as well, a vegetarian can't physically eat enough material to keep up in these situations. There are 26 essential amino acids and 6 of those amino acids are available Only Through Meat. Without those essential amino acids, your muscles won't be able to repair damage (it's how muscle is built and maintained). That said, here's the list:

-Water (at least a gallon a day but ideally more like 2-3 gallons a day capability, yah, i've drank that much and run out before in the field, it sucks hard, but carry capacity is limited)

-Jerky (costco has some great steak jerky for relatively cheap)

-Vienna Sausages (in chicken broth, tastes great heated on a fire and really warms you up, Extremely High Calorie and Protein)

-To go style apple sauces in pouches and/or fruit pouches (the baby section at many stores will also have some good to go choices for pouches)

-Fruit Jerky (can easily be found in bulk at Costco)

-Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers (I've found a few decent calorie brands, namely Nekot and Lansing, read labels).

-Chocolate mini variety packs (high calorie, quick bursts of energy from chocolate and sugar content, it's what your brain wants and you have to think, caramel is pretty awesome too, and peanuts are great)

-Instant coffee in plastic baggies (use it like dip aka chew aka smokeless tobacco, a nice pinch in your lip will get rid of that headache and keep you going a little longer)

-Sugar in plastic baggies (goes well with your instant coffee when you can actually make it, or if you want to pinch that out too, that works too)

-US military style canteen and accompanying stainless steel cup, stove, and canteen pouch (there's some pretty sweet accessories to go with these things, look into it)

-3 Liter hydration pouch or ideally 2 and accompanying tubes/accessories

-water purification capabilities, your choice of how, I use a field expedient activated charcoal solution to filter my water with a number ten can filled with any wood i can find in the field (never manufactured wood of any variety) and a few coffee filters and a funnel, then use the SODIS method to kill bacteria, look into these ideas, your mileage may vary

-plastic soda bottles filled with water

and that's about it with regards to food and water

daily carry items:

-Victorinox SwissTool

-lighter

-bandana

-currently a cheap Mtech drop point folder with a guthook

-Victorinox Classic SD

I attached the Classic to the Mtech with the little metal ring that it came with and then dummy cord it with a spare leather boot lace hooked to a carabiner, i've been thinking of wrapping this in paracord.

That's all for now, hope this helps.

• Like 2

I'd make an excel spreadsheet with the items listed that have an expiration date. That way you can easily track and rotate stuff that will expire soon.

Bottled water may have an expiration date, but if stored properly it should be unnecessary to rotate the water (If you fill the bottle yourself without sterilizing it, algae may grow in the bottle).

How long can I store bottled water?
FDA has not established a shelf life for bottled water. IBWA advises consumers to store bottled water at room temperature (or cooler), out of direct sunlight and away from solvents and chemicals such as gasoline, paint thinners and dry cleaning chemicals. Bottled water can be used indefinitely if stored properly.

I have been looking at Mountain House products. I go a bag from Wally W. and it was pretty good. I hear they have somewhere around a 25yr shelf life. Anyone else have any experience with them?

The cans have a 25 year life. Pouches 10.

Backpacker's Pantry also has cans with a 25 year life. I use them because I know how to get 50% off.

I am attaching a pdf titled "Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness 7 Day Survival Kit". Starting off prepping can be somewhat overwhelming in the beginning. This printout is a simple way of check listing off needed items for 1 weeks worth of supplies. It's been developed by the State of Alaska but the information is universal.

Alaska 7-day Survival Kit.pdf

It's so easy you can hand it to the woman in your life and she can do it!

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Medical supplies are at the top of my list. Yesterday I added a bunch of 4x4 gauze pads and 3M med tape to my bag since i had a situation last week that required some. I restocked my normal medical kit and stocked my emergency kit. I also have some quickklot and tourniquets. If you have women in your house, hygiene products for them would be a good idea too. I would like to add a decent suture kit to my bag next, but I can't seem to find a good one that isn't made for an EMT (HUGE and very expensive). Lots of guys can tell you what food and stuff to get if you're expecting apocalypse. I'm more of the mind of getting through a large scale natural disaster than I am a real SHTF scenario. If I had to abandon ship or die, I would take my supply bag, a pistol and rifle, and as much water and ammo as I could carry.

I'm not too terribly worried about having loads of extra food since my normal household stock of food can go for a month or longer for a couple of people (3 big pantries, deep freeze, etc, etc). Whenever I buy any food item, I always get at least two and replace my spare when the primary runs out. This includes cases of canned goods, TP, whatever. Maybe I should get a big ass tub of weight gainer or something just have around for a compact amount of calories just in case?

I would caution anyone that is considering consuming MRE's for extended periods of time. I would suggest to follow the lead of the LDS's, as they are experts in long term food storage. Seek out an LDS cannery and see if they will let you purchase #10 cans if you a non-member.

Good luck and it never hurts to be prepared.

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 2

You can get a Lifestraw for $20 - $25, depending where you get it. They usually sell for about $20 at gun shows.

This vid was from the 2010 Pakistan flood. Perfect size and weight for a BOB.

Wouldn't hurt to have a couple of these around the house just in case you couldn't leave.

I have been looking at Mountain House products. I go a bag from Wally W. and it was pretty good. I hear they have somewhere around a 25yr shelf life. Anyone else have any experience with them?

The cans should have a 25 year shelf life and the pouches should have a 7 year shelf life........depending on proper storing conditions.

Keep it basic, cheap, and stack it deep. Food grade plastic buckets filled with mylar bagged dry food with oxygen absorbers.

You can get food grade buckets at Lowes, Walmart, or other big store for usually less than 3 dollars... maybe even for free if you get in good with a restaurant manager. Gamma seal lids are good for buckets you access regularly but will be a waste of money on something you're storing away for a rainy day. I got basic gasketed lids from Lowes for around 2 dollars. You can order mylar bags from Amazon or other sites a long with oxygen absorbers. Buy your dry food in bulk; beans, rice, corn, etc. Put a little bit of each in several separate bags, drop in an O2 absorber, seal with a clothes iron and pack your buckets. I usually include a couple pounds of sugar and salt with each bucket as well.

Each one of these buckets will last you a good 30 years or more stored in a cool, dry spot. Each one will feed a family of 3 or 4 decently well for a couple of weeks to maybe a month depending on what you supplement it with. Best part is that each bucket isn't going to cost you anymore than about 7 bucks in materials and about 30 bucks in food.

Just don't forget your water needs as well.

Edited by Risky

First get yourself some food grade buckets and lids from the hardware store.

Purchase 6 gallon mylar bags and acquire a women's hair straightener.

Purchase 2000CC oxygen absorbers and a sealed glass jar to keep them in after you initially crack them open.

Seek a grain elevator, feed store and restaurant supply store.

Purchase red winter wheat, white whole wheat berries, sugar, salt, whole kernal dried corn, baking mixes in bulk such as betty crocker muffin or coffee cake mix, bulk cans of chili, dinty moore, assorted potted meats, powdered/cubed beef/chicken bullion, cocoa, coffee that is freeze dried in BRICKS (I have found cheap south american brands, 8lbs for $26), peanut butter, etc etc etc. Just be aware of the expiration dates and you can usually double it.

Put the buckets on the floor, insert mylar bag and open it wide. Dump dried goods in until 4/5 full, squeeze the air out as much as you can, insert 1 or 2 2000CC oxygen absorbers, seal the top with the hair straightener. Put the lid on it, label bucket with contents and date.

31Iur7q.jpg

C6kwB24.jpg

S0kv7kd.jpg

I like to grab one thing extra from the grocery store every time I go, it piles up quickly.

WATER:

Purchase 2 hardware store food grade buckets with lids. Purchase a berkey lite 3 position tap. Purchase 2 Doulton 10" super sterasyl(sp?) gravity ceramic water filter candles. 1 will be the top bucket to be filtered, 1 will be the bottom bucket, filtered. In the top bucket, drill 2 1/2" holes in the base. Mount the 2 water filters upright in the holes and tighten the nut. Make sure the gasket in on the inside with the filter.

In one of the lids, which will top the bottom bucket, drill 2 holes relevant to the position to the filter stems that protrude the base of the top bucket, as the top bucket with filters will rest on this lid. On the bottom bucket, drill a 1/2" hole (maybe it was 5/8, I dont remember) near the base on the side and affix the tap with gasket.

Tgn3HOB.jpg

bsVq7WM.jpg

RiLh6XQ.jpg

Pour water into the top bucket and it will fill the bottom with potable water. You now have a $40 Berkey water filtration system with 5gal. capacity.

Edited by Conscript
  • Like 4
Medical supplies are at the top of my list. Yesterday I added a bunch of 4x4 gauze pads and 3M med tape to my bag since i had a situation last week that required some. I restocked my normal medical kit and stocked my emergency kit. I also have some quickklot and tourniquets. If you have women in your house, hygiene products for them would be a good idea too. I would like to add a decent suture kit to my bag next, but I can't seem to find a good one that isn't made for an EMT (HUGE and very expensive). Lots of guys can tell you what food and stuff to get if you're expecting apocalypse. I'm more of the mind of getting through a large scale natural disaster than I am a real SHTF scenario. If I had to abandon ship or die, I would take my supply bag, a pistol and rifle, and as much water and ammo as I could carry.

I'm not too terribly worried about having loads of extra food since my normal household stock of food can go for a month or longer for a couple of people (3 big pantries, deep freeze, etc, etc). Whenever I buy any food item, I always get at least two and replace my spare when the primary runs out. This includes cases of canned goods, TP, whatever. Maybe I should get a big ass tub of weight gainer or something just have around for a compact amount of calories just in case?

This is the best site I've found for medical supplies so far: http://www.statmedical.com/

If anyone's found better, I'd love to know.

This is the best site I've found for medical supplies so far: http://www.statmedical.com/

I like to use: http://www.chinookmed.com/

They have nice israeli bandages and quikclot for decent prices too.

That's a good video, thank you. I've never tried to "max out" my home made ones. Just river water and from the gutter downspout, it works very well. It should be noted that any candle style gravity filters can be used in the home made systems, including the berkey black filters. I use the Doulton filters because I'm cheap, and they are also washable but there are some superior filters out there such as the berkey black filters.

Thanks for the link, but I can't find a suture kit there either. Just EMT bags that cost a mint. I've been known to be blind before. Can you point me in the direction?

Thanks for the link, but I can't find a suture kit there either. Just EMT bags that cost a mint. I've been known to be blind before. Can you point me in the direction?

Of course friend. If you navigate to the "Supplies" tab near the top of the page, you will see individual supplies. I do not buy the packs myself as I feel everyone is different in their needs for their kit and should be tailored as such.

The suture materials are found in this section within supplies called "Wound management". http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=s-wound_management

Also, here are a couple minimalist suture kits if you're not comfortable buying individual supplies, but again it is cheaper to only buy what you need and know how to use.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01354/s-wound_management/-Wound-Closure-%28TMM-WC%29-------------------------

and

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01210

Edited by Conscript

If you are in the State of Texas and near the town of Spring, I have been in contact with the gentleman in this video (LDSPrepper Youtube). I sent a note inquiring if they are going to put on another fair this year 2013. The response I got was yes. He was presently working on it and it will be in early May. I will make a separate post as we get closer to the event. It is put on by the LDS community, but everyone is invited to attend. Growing up on the Gulf Coast, it was ingrained for you to be self reliant as a kid due to the hurricanes.

Enjoy,

http://youtu.be/qP1RS18sHII