Want to own SBRs in WA State?

• 1 year later...

Go to Olympia on Wednesday 2/26 at 3:30 pm to speak at or attend the House Judiciary Committee hearing. 

SB 5956 is scheduled for a public hearing and possibly for an executive hearing right after.  From there it will go to the Rules Committee then to a vote on the House floor where it should enjoy massive support.  Be there, aloha.  I am driving from Belfair, if anyone wants a ride, call me.

Randy Bragge

(360) 440-5889

• Like 1

My representative says this is already dead for this year, so anyone planning to go to Olympia might want to look into that.

BTW, it died in the House after passing in the Senate.

Edited by DogMan

Dogman,

Who was the Representative that claimed 5956 was dead?

HB 1561 is dead, but the Senate SBR bill is alive and kicking.  http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5956&year=2013

SB 5956 has until 2/27 to be passed out of the House Judiciary Committee before it dies.  Then it has until 3/7 to be voted on by the House.  As long as it is given a pass recomendation by the House Judiciary and Rules sends it to the House floor, it will pass; I'm certain of it.  http://www.leg.wa.gov/legislature/pages/cutoff.aspx

It should be signed into law by Inslee by 3/13.  The governor can refuse to sign the bill; it will become law anyway if that happens.  He can also veto it and it will be dead until next session as there will not be any time for it to go back through each house.  Although Inslee and past governors have vetoed bills with perfect or nearly perfect voting records, Inslee is unlikely to veto the SBR bill as it is not contraversial at all.

The law goes into effect 90 days after the end of the session.  This would be about June 12th or 13th.  I plan on submitting my AFT forms 1’s to chop down AR and Contender barrels the day it is signed into law.

Who wants to join me in Olympia on Wednesday afternoon to sign in and support the bill?  I can give two people a ride.

Randy Bragge

(360) 440-5889

Edited by Ranb
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on the other end of the state, other wise I would. I am not in a big hurry to get an SBR, but this is a momentus step, and a leap toward getting the SBS I would like to have.

It looks to me like Pierce co. sheriff won't sign any form 1/form 4s. Fuck me, just my luck that I moved last year from another county.

I may be able to pull some favors and get a trust set up for free, so at least my wife and son (years down the road) can legally posses any items I buy.

I hate that sheriffs are allowed to be kings of their fiefdom like this. Another reason the NFA needs to go away.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

BTW, it is illegal to manufacture SBRs in WA state except for military, LEO or export.  If you decide to get one you have to use an out of state manufacturer and get it transferred here.  I am on the fence on this one, have several candidates like an AR pistol, AMD-65 and a VZ-61 Scorpion pistol I would like to SBR, just not sure it is worth the hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks to me like Pierce co. sheriff won't sign any form 1/form 4s. Fuck me, just my luck that I moved last year from another county.

I may be able to pull some favors and get a trust set up for free, so at least my wife and son (years down the road) can legally posses any items I buy.

I hate that sheriffs are allowed to be kings of their fiefdom like this. Another reason the NFA needs to go away.

I delt with a sheriff like that a few years back.  There are a few workarounds though.  The ATF will readily accept alternate signatures.  If you live inside city limits, you can get the Chief of police to sign.  And the State Trooper post commander is always an alternative too.  Other alternatives include the Head District Attorney in your county's circuit, and any Superior Court Judge that is on your county's circuit.  

Of course, if you spend like $115 at nfafirearmstrust.com, you can print out a trust document, have it executed by a notary, and you don't have to have anyone sign at all.  I eventually started doing this for my NFA stuff.  There is another huge benefit to the trust, any trustees (you can have as many as you want) can possess your NFA weapons without being in violation of the law.  This comes in handy when you have a wife or adult children who enjoy shooting your firearms...or if you want to store them at your parent's house while you are on vacation etc.  The only stipulation is that the trustees have to be eligible to possess a firearm (no felonies etc.)

The ATF is talking about changing the rules to require all trustees obtain CLEO signatures...and the NFA community should definitely fight this effort tooth and nail.  However, even if this were to happen, a diligent NFA collector can usually find an alternate person to sign.  The ATF will even allow you to propose an alternate person to sign (your mayor friend, for instance).  You have to obtain approval in advance and in writing for this to work though.  And the person STILL has to have jurisdiction over your residence.  For instance, if you lived outside of city limits, the mayor proposal would be invalid.

In other words...push hard to support the SBR law in your state.  It WILL open doors for you.  And everyone who enjoys NFA firearms should be up in arms about having the CLEO signature requirement removed.  It literally gives CLEOs the power to deny your 2nd amendment rights "just because".  They don't have to have a reason...and in my case, the sheriff had already signed for me before, and was still signing for others.  He was simply mad at me because one of his investigators and I had butted heads.  That is the kind of situation that comes up when you give power to deny rights to CLEOs.

BTW, it is illegal to manufacture SBRs in WA state except for military, LEO or export.  If you decide to get one you have to use an out of state manufacturer and get it transferred here.  I am on the fence on this one, have several candidates like an AR pistol, AMD-65 and a VZ-61 Scorpion pistol I would like to SBR, just not sure it is worth the hassle.

It is always better to have the option than not.  Fanatics like me will do anything to get the gun they want.  Finding an out of state manufacturer wouldn't stop me for a minute ;)