For FN FAL Lovers. . . Lookie what I scored

To my knowledge, one rarely sees these for sale within the aftermarket firearms venues. It's what is called a Springfield Armory SAR 4800 chambered in 5.56 / .223 Rem. Otherwise it may be referred to as an IMBEL MD-3 rifle. It takes standard AR-15 magazines.

The one pictured below that I purchased yesterday, had a 20" match grade target barrel installed in her, and the dude that I purchased her from swapped out the Springfield Armory AWB-compliant thumbhole polymer stock for the below pictured grip and stock (which happens to be U.S. and not Metric; he made them fit; they should have been metric furniture for this particular FAL rifle).

My plans for her is to replace the current poly furniture with BML grade A Claro Walnut wood furniture, and possibly have the barrel's muzzle threaded and fitted with an appropriate styled FAL flash hider (which will likely be a custom fabrication job, since such looooong birdcage-style flash hiders are all for .308/7.62 NATO caliber rifles). I also intend to scope her with an AccuPoint TR24 optic.

I'm pretty damned stoked with this find. Now my personal long gun collection is complete for what I'm interested in collecting.

~Gary

CIMG5237_zps6e0b6a71.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 2

" Now my personal long gun collection is complete for what I'm interested in collecting."

To be able to say that, holy shit.

Never knew there was a 5.56 version out there. I remember sighting down a AWB SAR-4800 with thumbhole and plastic, non-perforated fake flash hider. Reminded me of driving a 76 Ford Elite. REAL long, yet balanced and sleek feeling.

Have you considered a modern flash hider? I know proper gun fasion. A Vortex or PWS FHC-30 is FAL proper as anything FN ever screwed onto a muzzle, and suited to 5.56 as well (not that 5.56 especially after 21" of barrel will suffer using anything made for 7.62x51, especially cosmetically). May as well just use a .308 FAL device, if not, pattern your 5.56 custom fab job after the FNC's brake.

• Like 1
. . .Have you considered a modern flash hider? I know proper gun fasion. A Vortex or PWS FHC-30 is FAL proper as anything FN ever screwed onto a muzzle, and suited to 5.56 as well (not that 5.56 especially after 21" of barrel will suffer using anything made for 7.62x51, especially cosmetically). May as well just use a .308 FAL device, if not, pattern your 5.56 custom fab job after the FNC's brake.

I've been contemplating what to do with the rifle's barrel for the last 48 hours. Obviously I could just leave it alone. . . but that would be a little difficult because that's simply not me. 021.gif

My current personal preference is to go with a traditional, long, FAL type birdcage flash hider. I'm specifically zeroing in on a USGI T48 flash hider for a FAL. . . but I have concerns regarding whether my 5.56 barrel's outside diameter will be an adquate fit for this type of FAL long muzzle device. Regarding current, modern day AR-15 type flash hiders, I can't think of a single one that would look appropriate and provide what I consider to be the correct appearance of an FAL.

My last concern is what (if anything) attaching a long flash hider might do regarding the rifle's accuracy or consistency for POI. I tend to believe installing a long FAL flash hider will have little-to-no impact on the rifle's POI since all these muzzle devices were designed for 7.62 NATO/.308 caliber. Shooting 5.56 through such a device shouldn't prove problematic whatsoever.

Anyway, as mentioned I've been scratching my head over what I might do.

• 1 month later...

This one is taking a little longer to "get together" than I had anticipated.

I decided to go with a Leupold 1.25-4x20mm VX-R Patrol SPR optic instead of the AccuPoint TR24 scope, mostly due to the AccuPoint offering being several hundreds more. The Leupold arrived last week and I believe I will be very happy with it. Still waiting on the arrival of the Weaver tactical 6-hole low mount rings for the scope. Procured the ARMS #3 FN FAL standard picatinny mount (which replaces the FAL's existing slide-in receiver/dust cover). . . believe I'll be very happy with it.

I removed the FAL's carrying handle and inserted a carrying handle "slot filler". . . with the optic mounted on the rifle, the carrying handle essentially becomes useless and at worst, gets in the way.

Two weeks ago I shipped the rifle's lower to Bill Springfield to have him perform a FAL trigger job on it. The lower came back from Bill in less than a week. The trigger's creap is now essentially eliminated, but interestingly to me, the trigger's break poundage still feels on the high side. I hazard to guess that's attributable to the FAL's trigger mechanism and design.

Shipped the rifle's upper off to Arizona Response Systems just yesterday to have the USGI T48 long flash hider (newly parkerized, acquired off of Gunbroker) installed on the barrel.

Lastly, I figure I've got approximately another three months worth of waiting for Blue Monster Labs to complete the custom Claro grade A walnut rear stock and pistol grip. I decided to go with an Alkanet finish on the walnut wood. . . which should really bring out the wood's grain.

So, hopefully by early May I'll be taking my new 5.56mm SAR-4800 FAL out to the firing line for its baptismal firing session, although she won't have her "wood" furniture installed by then. Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be latter.

Edited by Gary
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now if you could just find for sale at a reasonable price THE Holy Grail-----Brazilian Imbel FAL .22LR trainer that Dealer Warehouse imported about a decade ago. There's only about six that came into the U.S.shocked.gif

Now if you could just find for sale at a reasonable price THE Holy Grail-----Brazilian Imbel FAL .22LR trainer that Dealer Warehouse imported about a decade ago. There's only about six that came into the U.S.shocked.gif

I had no idea such a critter existed. Thank you for sharing that knowledge. I'll keep an eye out. victory.gif

• 1 month later...

After a little more than two months wait, I finally received my FAL's upper back from Arizona Response Systems. I had a USGI T48 FAL Flash Hider installed. . . which required the end of the barrel's diameter to be turned down a little, a slot cut into the top of the barrel to accept the flash hider's locking key washer, and of course the barrel threaded. Now the rifle looks the way a traditional FAL should (IMO anyway). I'll take a few photos of the rifle in its current configuration and post them here tonight.

Gary, that's coming together VERY nicely! Should be a joy to shoot for sure. biggrin.png

Dare I ask what the overall length of it is now, with that looonnnggg flash hider on it? unsure.png

The rifle's overall length is now 44 inches. The flash hider itself only adds approximately 3.5 inches to the barrel's length (approximately 2 inches of it seats down around the end of the barrel. . . which is why a professional gunsmith needs to reduce the diameter of the end of the barrel about 2 1/4 inches down from the muzzle before he can begin threading the barrel; this is no DIY type job).

The last items remaining to complete this upgrade project are the custom Claro grade A walnut rear stock and pistol grip being made by Blue Monster Labs. I should have those by NLT end of July.

Edited by Gary

Very nice rifle indeed, Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a conundrum for the fal lovers here. I have a chance to buy a early 70's maybe late 60's century importy fal, underside barrel markings only, it is a 1960 bsa reciever and a 1962 enfield upper. Based on what I have been told and shown the gun was a leo model imported very early on and is not a parts kit just a surplus rifle re-constructed from two different guns.

there are no import markings on the reciever of this gun, only on the end of the barrel, is this a gray area fal meaning a straight cut reciever given its history.

thanks for the help and sorry to hijack the attention away from such a beautiful rifle.

Very nice rifle indeed, Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a conundrum for the fal lovers here. I have a chance to buy a early 70's maybe late 60's century importy fal, underside barrel markings only, it is a 1960 bsa reciever and a 1962 enfield upper. Based on what I have been told and shown the gun was a leo model imported very early on and is not a parts kit just a surplus rifle re-constructed from two different guns.

there are no import markings on the reciever of this gun, only on the end of the barrel, is this a gray area fal meaning a straight cut reciever given its history.

thanks for the help and sorry to hijack the attention away from such a beautiful rifle.

Sorry, but I personally have no idea. Although this may not apply to your particular FAL rifle of interest (since you've stated this rifle is a LEO model), I have read where Century FALs are truly "hit or miss" regarding the rifle's quality and functioning issues.

Recommend you pose your question over in "The FAL Files" forum (www.falfiles.com/forums); the wealth of knowledge there is rather incredible.

~Gary

Finally got it all figured out, it is a early 70's century import that was built from two different guns but it is a all british gun no american parts to be had in it. It is the real deal a full on surplus L1a1, allthough from two different guns they are both inch pattern so it must not have mattered much to them when they filled the LEO orders.

1400 for the rifle 2 mags and 600 rounds of special surplus 7.62 nato, even some armor piercing from 1983

Edited by dashowdy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The below custom fabricated Claro Walnut furniture is scheduled to arrive tomorrow for my FAL. I had the guy slightly change the contour of the typical wood FAL grip, to incorporate a thumb rest and a mild palm swell. He also treated the wood with an Alkanet root oil/stain, applying approximately two or more dozen coats to bring out the wood's grain and beautiful coloring.

I'm pretty stoked, to say the least. The guy that made this stock set is Rich Collins of Blue Monster Labs.

DSCN52731280x960_zpsdd01c5f9.jpg

DSCN52751280x960_zps34ccb3d9.jpg

DSCN52741280x960_zpsf7a8cfae.jpg

DSCN52811280x960_zps415dc0d6.jpg

• Like 2

You have some badass wood on your guns. They are too nice to shoot with that furniture. I'd be really bent if I scratched or dented one.

As my signature states, "Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun!" Unlike you Praetorian, I don't go tromping around in the woods and across hills with my firearms, chasing all types of critters (although I'm jealous as all get-out that you do).

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1