For FN FAL Lovers. . . Lookie what I scored

Looks sweet. The Blue Monster wood on it will turn it into a showpiece for sure. You are right about the guys at the FAL Files. I've been a member over there since I bought my STG58 a few years back and I still learn something new about FAL's every time I go there and read!

• Like 1

Looks sweet. The Blue Monster wood on it will turn it into a showpiece for sure. You are right about the guys at the FAL Files. I've been a member over there since I bought my STG58 a few years back and I still learn something new about FAL's every time I go there and read!

I don't post much over on that forum because some of those guys are like piranhas when it comes to dog-piling.

T. Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems (who goes by the nic "gunplumber" on that forum) really went all out with the fixes to my rifle.  When I shipped it to him the barrel was loose (believe it or not) and the gas system wasn't functioning appropriately.  I had to crank the gas regulator all the way closed just to get the rifle to cycle more than one round.  Anyway, below is a list/description of things Mark said he did to correct my rifle:

The barrel's gas port is now .098-.100", which is FAL standard for a 21" barrel.  When received, the port was .120, which is large even for a short-barreled .308.

Used a thin shim to correctly time the barrel.

Changed the locking shoulder for tighter headspace - it was .250 which isn't a factory size.  The locking shoulder looked like it had been cut from a larger one, and the angle changed, so it was replaced with a .255".  Now it closes tight on a GO, and no close on a NOGO gauge.

The cocking handle had some dents in it and the nub had been altered - it was sticking in the full back position, so that was cleaned-up.

Performed a courtesy refinish of select metal components to make them match.

Inch pattern gas cylinder changed for metric.  The gas cylinder was a little loose, and while still "in spec" for a .308, went with a slightly tighter fitting one that would help rule out the gas system as a reason for short stroking.

Anyway, since Mark "refinished" the exterior's metal to color match, the rear sling swivel and trapdoor buttplate that I procured to use with the Blue Monster claro walnut rear stock and grip, no longer matches.  Those parts are parker colored.  So I've shipped those parts off to Mark to have him color match the rest of the rifle.  I won't be putting the purty wood on the rifle until those parts come back.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

very nice.

how much does it weigh in at? I was wondering if a 5.56 FAL is much lighter.

It comes in at around 10.5 pounds (which includes the scope).  There is really no significant weight difference between a 5.56/.223 FAL and a .308 FAL.

Edited by Gary