I have resisted for years.

No, 922® does not apply to NFA weapons. Heres the ATF letter:

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY             Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms                     Washington, D.C. 20226                          MAR 22, 1994                                                  LE:F:FE:RLB                                                  3312.5Mr XXXAddressCity, StateDear Mr. XXX:This refers to your letter of February 28, 1994, in which youinquire as to whether the making of certain National Firearm Act(NFA) weapons is prohibited by Title 18 United States Code(U.S.C.), Chapter 44, Section 922(r).  The weapon in question is aFN/FAL type firearm having a barrel length of less than 16 incheswhich is assembled from an imported British L1A1 parts kit and adomestically manufactured frame or receiver.Title 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, Section 922(r) provides that it shallbe unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts anysemiautomatic rifle or shotgun which is identical to any rifle orshotgun prohibited from importation under 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44,Section 925(d)(3), as not being particularly suitable for orreadily adaptable to sporting purposes.However, the Bureau has previously determined that the lawfulmaking of an NFA weapon would not violate Section 922(r), since thesection only addresses the assembly of "nonsporting" firearms, andnot the making of NFA weapons.  Therefore, the lawful making of ashort barreled rifle would not be precluded by Section 922(r).If you decide to proceed with your project, it will be necessaryfor you to obtain prior approval by first submitting an ATF Form 1(Application To Make and Register a Firearm) and paying theappropriate $200 making tax.  Additional information relative tothis procedure may be obtained from the following source:             Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms                      NFA Branch, Room 5300                  650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW                      Washington DC 20026  We trust that the foregoing was responsive to your inquiry.  If wemay be of any further assistance, please contact us.                        Sincerely yours,                           [signed]                      Edward M. Owen, Jr.               Chief, Firearms Technology Branch 

I appreciate the information. It confirms what I already knew.

But I will still put the US parts on there, mostly because I was replacing those parts anyway.

No, 922® does not apply to NFA weapons. Heres the ATF letter:

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY             Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms                     Washington, D.C. 20226                          MAR 22, 1994                                                  LE:F:FE:RLB                                                  3312.5Mr XXXAddressCity, StateDear Mr. XXX:This refers to your letter of February 28, 1994, in which youinquire as to whether the making of certain National Firearm Act(NFA) weapons is prohibited by Title 18 United States Code(U.S.C.), Chapter 44, Section 922(r).  The weapon in question is aFN/FAL type firearm having a barrel length of less than 16 incheswhich is assembled from an imported British L1A1 parts kit and adomestically manufactured frame or receiver.Title 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, Section 922(r) provides that it shallbe unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts anysemiautomatic rifle or shotgun which is identical to any rifle orshotgun prohibited from importation under 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44,Section 925(d)(3), as not being particularly suitable for orreadily adaptable to sporting purposes.However, the Bureau has previously determined that the lawfulmaking of an NFA weapon would not violate Section 922(r), since thesection only addresses the assembly of "nonsporting" firearms, andnot the making of NFA weapons.  Therefore, the lawful making of ashort barreled rifle would not be precluded by Section 922(r).If you decide to proceed with your project, it will be necessaryfor you to obtain prior approval by first submitting an ATF Form 1(Application To Make and Register a Firearm) and paying theappropriate $200 making tax.  Additional information relative tothis procedure may be obtained from the following source:             Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms                      NFA Branch, Room 5300                  650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW                      Washington DC 20026  We trust that the foregoing was responsive to your inquiry.  If wemay be of any further assistance, please contact us.                        Sincerely yours,                           [signed]                      Edward M. Owen, Jr.               Chief, Firearms Technology Branch 

It does now apparently.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/ddoneill/atfresponseregardingpar_zpsfce8923a.jpg

This is so typical of the ATF (and the IRS is the same way). All you want is a straight answer. You look around and find what you think is a straight answer. But somebody else asks the same question and they get the opposite straight answer. And when you cry foul, they just tell you the letter only applies to the exact person it was addressed to anyway.

So unless I have a letter addressed to Mr Darth Saigus I'm going to play it safe.

The rules are idiotic and arbitrary, but still I will play their game (for the moment anyway).

That original letter is almost 20 years old and was responded to when the first AWB went into effect. That ruling has long been since revised and you are correct DS, ATF seldom give a straight answer on anything but does that surprise you? You are also correct in assuming that unless any correspondence from the goon squad is personally addressed to you, I would judge it with a grain of salt.

922 is a construction violation not a possession violation but you are constructing an SBR so many will say one thing many another, making them 922 compliant is really simple today due to parts availability so I do that and forget about it.

Well my check was cashed. That gave me a little thrill this morning.

Disclaimer: I am fully aware that cashing my check in no indicates that my Form will be approved.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • 5 months later...

Since my stamp should be here next month I put in the G2 trigger in preparation (reducing my imported parts to 9 using imported magazines).

I'm amazed at how good the G2 is. It's no match trigger but for an AK it's very good. Not much creep and almost no overtravel. I was prepared to do some tuning but I like it as is.

For the money it's worth doing even if not needed for 922r.

If I had any complaint it would be the trigger angle. It's angled forward more than I like.

I haven't fired it yet but if there is no slap I'll give it a 9/10.

Edited by Darth Saigus