which handguard??

I picked up another Saiga 762 for $600 and was going to put my Chaos quad rail on it (i have one on my other Saiga) but I'm thinking i want a polymer handguard. I have a MOE V-grip id like to use on it too so something with a bottom rail would be a plus but not necessary. Im putting a Magpul CTR stock on it too. What are my options that you guys suggest? And what all will i need to buy to replace the handguard?

Thanks

I may even do a trade for my Chaos quad for a poly handguard if anyone was interested.

Thanks guys. After checking them out i can't find anything i like.... a V grip isn't mandatory so i was thinking the plain old K-var AK handguard would look the best but CSS says a lower & upper retainer is needed but they only sell the lower retainer. Anyone know where the upper can be bought? Do i need a new gas tube too? Im torn about what to do but i like my rifles light my hunting rifle is a Kimber Montana that weighs 6lbs on the nose with scope, my AR is 5lbs 14oz with RD but my AK is HEAVY especially with the Chaos QR.

Yeah, I have a 5# AR too, and its tough to switch to the AK, though I like it more. I havent seen too many AKs under 7#, usually 8-10.

Im looking at the Hogue handguard lower with an Ultimak, but now im hearing the wood lower handguard might be lighter. I may end up with both and weight them up, then edit the weights into the thread I started. I dont think theres a magic bullet with this rifle, its gonna have to be trimming an ounce here, half an ounce there, etc.

I hear ya Cerberus. I think ill just go with the Kvar hand guard and Magpul CTR stock for now. The Chaos looks the best by far, IMO, and the added heft makes it nice to shoot but after shooting it side by side with my ultra light AR i decided i need to go a little lighter. Idk ill probably just order the Kvar and put it on, compare it with the chaos and decide which to sell.

I have the original handguard and a Kvar NATO style stock i could use and go cheap. Im in the process of painting a buddy's stock and added a MOE rail on the bottom of the factory handguard. Just had to dremel out some material from the inside and drill a couple of holes and it actually turned out pretty good.post-46357-0-12216800-1360480502_thumb.jpg

ATI makes polymer AK hand guard that fit my 5.45, .223, 7.62x39, and .308 rifles. Need to have AK gas tube and hand guard retainer from CSS or Dinzag.

It fits pretty solid on all rifles and you have option of using rail sections or smooth inserts.

It's also USA made for 922, BTW

post-46141-0-39850400-1360507484_thumb.jpg

post-46141-0-34159400-1360507541_thumb.jpg

That's almost exactly what my new one will look like after a new handguard. I think ill do the NATO stock, factory habdguard and plain PG all painted FDE on one and have the Magpul CTR stock, scorpion style PG and either the Chaos or Kvar hand guard. New FSB and flash hiders for both.

I personally like the chaos quad rail for the saiga 7.62x39. it has the bolt on handgaurd retainer so the way i looked at it was i could get the chaos and not have to buy a bolt on retainer, it doesnt really matter to me because i just wanted the ak style sling mount. it is very solid, i have thousands of rounds on it and it has never failed me or come loose at. i use blue lock-tite of course but thats a good idea with any aluminum threads that will undergo vibration.

Edited by Spetnaz Soldier
  • Like 1

I already have the Chaos. I actually swaped it out for the stock handguard last night. I like my rifles a little lighter. If you know of anyone who needs one i have a Chaos quad rail, DPH skeleton stock and a Tapco mag for sale in the classifieds.

The biggest problem hand guard with rail, is that when the rail is not used it is very cut into your hands.
This applies to products CAA, ATI, Tapko. One of the best products on the market - the original hand guard produced by Izhmash.

It protects your hands. Very nice hand guard.

6647649.jpg

But in general I like Quad Rail UTG

6576415.jpg

Edited by vinni83

just a heads up a magpul ctr with vltor adapter is going to be a lot heavier than kvar buttstock

The biggest problem hand guard with rail, is that when the rail is not used it is very cut into your hands.
This applies to products CAA, ATI, Tapko. One of the best products on the market - the original hand guard produced by Izhmash.

It protects your hands. Very nice hand guard.

6647649.jpg

But in general I like Quad Rail UTG

what handguard is that with the rails?

just a heads up a magpul ctr with vltor adapter is going to be a lot heavier than kvar buttstock

Overall the rifle will be lighter than the DPH skeleton stock and Chaos quad rail. That Kvar stock is actually heavier than my ACE skeleton or DPH skeleton stocks