Screwed the pooch conversion?

Well guys I think I screwed the pooch with my conversion. Everything was going great, piece of cake actually, that is until I went to remove the rear sight. I cut the sight with my dremel and tried to tap it out. Well I must not have cut deep enough becuase the sight did not budge. I gave it a pretty good tap and them I realized that the gas tube was wiggling around.

Hopefully you can see it in the picture. The tab on both sides of the gas tube where "dovetails" into the receive cracked and broke off. I am only posting a picture on the one side, but the same thing happens on both sides. I pushed the broken tab back in so you can see where it cracked and broke.

Any thoughts as to whether this will effect saftey / the integrity of the gun? Or do I now have a parts gun?

post-46621-0-48971900-1360541803_thumb.jpg

Dinzag Arms can help you, http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_12/aks12.html.

Brand new from Dinzag Arms!

This new Patent Pending system allows you to attach AK handguards to your Saiga-12. This is similiar to the last system, but with a few improvements. (see below)

Features

Easily install AK handguards on your Saiga-12.

Windage and Elevation adjustable AK front sight block with standard AK sight tools.

Elevation adjustable standard AK rear sight leaf.

Double the sight radius for improved accuracy.

Improvements

The biggest complaints with the previous design were difficulty of install and waiting times. We've addressed those by developing an entirely superior design manufactured with modern CNC technology. All parts are 100% steel and built to last.

#1 - Fast & Easy Install! You no longer have to remove the gas block pins and press the gas block off.

#2 - No waiting! Soon you will no longer have to send us your gas tube for modification if you choose not to. This is an out of the box replacement. Keep your original tube for a backup, or send it to us for trade-in to save even more $$

Good luck

• Like 1

Johnny,

Thank you for all of your input and help! They are very much appreciated!! I had already looked at dinzagarms website and saw the gas tube you mentioned. When I looked at that, I was under the impression that this made the gas tube shorter so that an AK fore grip would fit.

Hopefully my assumption is wrong. I did send dinzagarms an email. I will wait for his reply and continue my search.

they differ. You will need one specifically for an S12

I was hoping you were not going to say that! @&!,?&$@!!

I looked at the dinzagarms and the gas tubes sold there have the rear sight attached and are made for the AK 47 fore grip. If there is anyone out there who is planning on buying the dinzagarms S12 gas tube and wants to offset their cost by selling their original gas tube, please shoot me a PM!

Thanks!

Keep an eye out in the for sale part of the forum...parts come up for sale from time to time.

He'll be waiting a long long time. He should just pony up the cash to get one from dinzag or have a good welder fix it and get to using his gun. Otherwise he will have gun in the back of the closet for 3 years making him sad.

Keep an eye out in the for sale part of the forum...parts come up for sale from time to time.

He'll be waiting a long long time. He should just pony up the cash to get one from dinzag or have a good welder fix it and get to using his gun. Otherwise he will have gun in the back of the closet for 3 years making him sad.

Gunfun,

I have no problem ponying up the cash to buy from dinzag. In fact I sent him an email prior to posting about it here. Waiting to hear back.

My concern with dinzag is that his look shorter than the original and they also appear to be custom to the AK wood foregrip. I already have the Chaos quad rail purchased and I don't think it will work with the rear sight on the dinzag gas tube. I am hoping I am wrong and that I can get it from him without all the bells and whistles.

If I don't hear back from him today, I will call him this afternoon. I also emailed several other companies who do conversions thinking they may have an original laying around.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

Those are for rifles not the Saiga 12. The one he needs looks like this.

post-6703-0-91400900-1360709091_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have this anymore

Are you against having it welded? Its been mentioned multiple times already to weld, weld, weld. That is going to be your easiest, quickest, and most optimum fix. No, with Dinzags setup, you cannot use the Chaos rail system. Your best bet is to contact one of the vendors or find a competent welder who can do the work for you.

Are you against having it welded? Its been mentioned multiple times already to weld, weld, weld. That is going to be your easiest, quickest, and most optimum fix. No, with Dinzags setup, you cannot use the Chaos rail system. Your best bet is to contact one of the vendors or find a competent welder who can do the work for you.

I don't have anything against having it welded. I just don't know of anyone near me who can do it. The pieces are so small, I can't imagine what it would take to weld it.

Any suggestions as to which vendor in this board would do such a small job? Thanks.

Anyone who can do normal tig or mig welding on thin steel should be able to do it. If it were me, I would ask the welder to build it up with a bit of extra material and let me get it back into shape with a skinny wheel and files. I know I would spend the time to keep it true and clean looking. Many welders who can make a strong weld won't be that careful with the clean up. You doing the boring part should keep the cost down and save you from a guy who is sloppy with a grinder.

Do you think guys who work at a muffler shop have ever needed to weld thin steel? All they really need for a job that small is the right fill wire and five or ten minutes to understand what you want. The actual weld is going to be just a few seconds, and maybe a back grind and re-fill. Just about any fabrication shop will have at least one guy who would do it on his break just for the curiosity.

Acetone should get the paint off. Just throw it in a ziploc for half an hour with a splash of acetone and wipe it down with paper towels outside. If you strip it and get it real clean,you will also speed things up for him. A good welder might do the job for a six pack or a chance to try out the gun when you put it together.

• Like 1

Things like this is the reason I purchased my Lincoln 220V Mig welder. I am no professional welder, but I would not hesitate to go at that gas tube. And yes, I would put extra weld to it so I could shape it back down. In other words, it's a DIY for me now 000.gif

Gas tube is successfully removed. I have been putting it off thinking it would be more difficult than it really was. I spoke with our construction / maintenance supervisor today. He said he has the perfect person to do the welding.

When I get it back I will post some pictures of it. I am very new to the forum, thank you to everyone for your help. I would have never tackled the conversion myself if it were not for all the resources posted here.

• Like 2