TAC-47 auto plug question

I recently purchased the TAC-47 auto gas plug, and had a few questions.

I installed the auto-plug, screwed it all the way on, then started unscrewing it until you feel it "click" and the ports are in the 10 and 2 position.

Next, I fired a few shots and realized I needed to adjust the screw on the plug, by turning it CLOCKWISE so that I can cycle the lower brass stuff..

Right now, I can shoot 00' buckshot 2 3/4'', 2 3/4'' slugs fine. No failures to eject.

However, when I tried shooting the winchester superX 2 3/4'' 1 oz. #8 shot, I couldn't get it to cycle. I know it is a light load, but I'd still like to be able to shoot this stuff if I wanted to.

I did keep turning the screw clockwise, but apparently I need to turn it even more clockwise. I would say I gave it a good 3 and half full rotations.. maybe even 4.

So, my question is, should I keep rotating this clockwise until it will fire it? When it finally does (if it ever does), when I shoot 2 3/4'' slugs out of my gun is there any chance I could damage my gun (the bolt slams back too hard)?

Is there any truth to what people say that I should stay away from 3'' magnum rounds with the TAC-47 plug? If so, why?

Thank you in advance!

The auto plug is NOT intended for 3" mags. It's good to go with 2 3/4" even if you have to screw it in a way.

Now keep in mind if your gun did NOT cylce low brass before you installed it it won't cycle it after you install it. The auto plug is NOT able to remedy a "vodka special" or under gassed gun. No product on the market is capable of doing that, and anybody who tells you their product is, is a liar. PERIOD.

If you converted (or haven't) you should search google for "fte ftf" or go to the tech section "all new users go here first". your answer lies with in.

• Like 1

if you cannot reliably eject low brass shells you are in no danger of damaging the gun by throwing the bolt back too far. the auto plug basically prevents that. you set it to the low brass and any pressure that exceeds what you set it to should be released into the atmosphere by blowing past the little spring you see. but it will not fix an undergassed gun.

My gun could shoot light loads before, so I guess I need to just keep adjusting it. It just threw me off because in the tac47 video tutorial, they made it seem like it could handle light loads by adjusting the plug within about 2 full revolutions, whereas mine is about 3.5 -4 in, and still can't handle it.

tried installing one today on mine. I was running Federal Target (1145fps) on setting #2 on my stock plug perfectly. Did like you did and screwed autoplug in til it bottomed out then turned it back til the detent was seated in the recess. I did 1/2 turn increments for about 4+ full revolutions and it would still not cycle the same Federal I was just shooting. Took it out and put the factory back in and functioned fine again. Kept factory plug in from there on out.

mine screw bottomed out with the way they said to install it. tighten the plug itself 1 turn (all the way tight) amd try again. lean into the stock with the stiffest shoulder you can and try again. sounds like your gun needs a little more gas

It runs just fine with stock plug in it on setting 2, ports have all been drilled out. Don't think it's under-gassed.

• Like 1

I just purchased one of these, and in reading about it all over the net (will edit when I re-find the link) some users said their Autoplugs gas channel was smaller than, or slightly off-center of the gas port in their Saiga. It was fixed by those users with a little dremel work.

Could be he got an autoplug with a weak poppet spring too. if his gun ran X ammo 100% on #2 with the oem plug, then it should run the same ammo with the autoplug somewhere near the middle of adjustment. Contact Keith at Tac47... maybe he'll give you another spring, or maybe there is something else out of spec, such as oversize vents in the plug.

The fact that his gun ran with stock plug says that his resistence / gas ratio is OK. I am not saying he can't eliminate some friction or something, but I don't think he should be adding more gas.

1145 FPS is pretty light ammo unless it is pushing shot somewhere between 1 1/4 oz and 1 3/8 oz. If his gun was running ammo that slow with less ejecta on #2 it is already gassed and slicked more than most healthy S12s and getting into territory where you are compromising on the top end.

If he doesn't want that autoplug,I volunteer to suffer with it. One should be able to source a stiffer spring too, if needed.