Should I do away with the BHO?

I am in the process of doing a conversion on my Saiga 7.62x39 rifle. Once the firing mechinism is moved forward, It seems BHO gets in the way of my trigger finger! One could probably accidently stop the gun with this feature. Do most of you guys keep the Bolt Hold Open feature?

I took mine out too. I couldn't stand my trigger finger hitting it when i pulled the trigger. Then i realized it wouldn't even chamber a round when held open and released. The main problem was my first time shooting i was having trigger reset ussues, id have to manually push the trigger forward to reset it and fire again. Even though it wasn't the main problem i took the BHO out and bent the spring leg a bit and the gun works awesome now and my finger doesn't bump the stupid BHO lever anymore!

The ONLY thing the BHO would be nice for is prying out an extremely tight jammed round but lets face it, when is that gonna happen with our Saigas!?

Edited by dubya

The ONLY thing the BHO would be nice for is prying out an extremely tight jammed round but lets face it, when is that gonna happen with our Saigas!?

Well, there is one other thing. It's handy at ranges that require the bolt open during cease fires. You could also argue that it's handy when doing a light cleaning without disassembly.

It's a coin toss on keeping it. Some do, some don't. Then of course, there's me. I kept it on my S12 and AKA 7.62x39 and took it off on my 223 and 308.

If you do keep it, then most people grind it off flush (or close) with the receiver when it's engaged. That way it doesn't protrude as much when it isn't being used.

I tossed mine. I found it completely worthless. It not only serves no real purpose other than a "view port" (it is not a LRBHO), it adds a part to an otherwise ingeniously simple design. It's put in there for importation regulation (considered a "sporting" feature) reasons and does not belong in there. As for ranges... that's what chamber flags are for.

To each their own, but I prefer to keep it simple the way it was designed to be.

I haven't found the BHO to be any issue at all, except that it has gouged a line across my frame from opening/closing it.

I guess it might irritate some people's fingers to touch the tabs, but it has not bothered me at all.

I had them in mine for about a year. Ended up ditching them. I'm lefty, so it's not like it bothered my trigger finger at all, but 1) I NEVER used them, 2) they're just another part to fail, and 3) the guns look much cleaner without them.

Edited by W8lifter

I like the BHO. Set it up right without slop and it is no problem. If you have a drop in trigger with lots of slop in the hammer side to side, shim that BHO down with a washer, and tweak the hamemr spring leg so that it stays in place and pins the BHO to the side.Trim down the tab, and put a notch for the spring.

Now you have a great part that is useful and cannot cause any reliability problems.

Definitely get rid of BHO... oh, you mean the bolt hold.. Yeah, that too... My bad.

Good play sir!

I did not reinstall my bolt hold open after the restoration, as I only use the bho at the range. I did however make my safety lever hold the bolt open when engaged(notched the lever). I prefer that method because it is simple and I can't see how it would fail and IT WORKS!

Edited by Bigtwin