• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got my conceal carry gun. I absolutely LOVE this gun!!!

My best advice for practicing with a carry gun is to never look at the sights and learn to point shoot it doing 3 shot strings. Take the weapon to low ready after every third shot. Do it with one hand

This one was literally her second mag put through her new pistol. She was kinda eager to get started so I wasn't ready with the camera yet when she cleared 4 out of 5 of the 12 oz cans full of water,

Posted Images

Good job racegal, congratulations...bet hubby feels better cool.png

Hahaha TRUST ME! I now feel more than twice as safe everywhere we go together! red_heart.gif

With the lady's permission I will gladly post some video I took yesterday of her shooting it for the first time. Got 3 of the first four mags run through it, on film...and WOW! She outshot me with it I can say that much. horror.gif:)

• Like 4

This one was literally her second mag put through her new pistol. She was kinda eager to get started so I wasn't ready with the camera yet when she cleared 4 out of 5 of the 12 oz cans full of water, that were there before I got the bowling pins out...lol. Not too shabby at almost 10 meters with a gun like that. I was blown away!

Then again on the pins....

beer.gif

• Like 6

Get her the crimson trace laser for it. I talked my friend into that setup, and it is a great shooter, and much faster in dusky light. I can't say I like the trigger on that gun but I have been eyeing one for a couple years now.

PS, we can see that she shoots well slowly.

Since this is a carry gun, I wanna see how fast she can put two well placed shots each on 3 targets from about 25 feet from draw. That's what a gun like this is really for.

• Like 3

Actually we are already working on that. I had one lined up yesterday on Craig's List for $150 but the guy failed to return my messages and prolly missed that sale. I've seen em on Amazon new for around $175- ish...

Yeah to me the trigger is too long and the grip too short, but Sandi loves it and the long pull serves as a 'safety'.

• Like 1

I've seen them from time to time as low as $115. I've pretty much talked myself into the taurus equivalent, but if I see the ruger with the laser for the right price... let's just say I have a bag of .380 brass for a reason.

Racegal- you are going to love having an extra option in sketchy situations CCW is just such a good way to have one or two more things you can bring into play when it makes sense. That can make tense situations so much less stressful. It's nice to have when you are running around in the woods too. I am sure you have lots of good stuff at home, but the one that counts is the one with you. Now you have something that is never in the way and can always be with you.

• Like 1

My best advice for practicing with a carry gun is to never look at the sights and learn to point shoot it doing 3 shot strings. Take the weapon to low ready after every third shot. Do it with one hand too from odd positions. Both times I had to pull, my support hand was unavailable. I'm just glad that I never had to fire, for many reasons.

• Like 7

Good on you! I have an LC9 for my "Beach Gun" which is very similar. If you do not like the Loaded Chamber Indicator protruding up so much, have your old man take some of it off on the portion that contacts the chambered round. The magazine disconnect/safety can be removed easily as well. I see no need for that in a defensive handgun. Finally, the trigger can be worked to make it better. The little Rugers are solid handguns IMO. My LC9 gets carried whenever I cannot feasibly conceal a full sized pistol. Good shooting BTW! 2gunsfiring1.gif

• Like 3

I've never been more happy to not be a bowling pin!

Congrats on your first carry piece and permit. Now you too can get all pissed off if you ever have to drive through certain states. ;)

I've been wanting an LC9 ever since they came out! I'm a little jealous of your LCP. Certainly jealous of the way you're hitting with that little gun! Nice!

• Like 2
My best advice for practicing with a carry gun is to never look at the sights and learn to point shoot it doing 3 shot strings. Take the weapon to low ready after every third shot. Do it with one hand too from odd positions. Both times I had to pull, my support hand was unavailable. I'm just glad that I never had to fire, for many reasons.

Anything along these lines is going to be good practical skills.

I'd alter that drill to start each round from holstered however she carries, in whatever clothes she wears at work/ around town.

since this gun is 6+1 , you can put 2 in 3 and have 1 left to cover remaining threats while you look around or 3 into 2 threats with a spare. Both seem worth practicing, especially with the limitations of .380 acp. Hot ammo for carry is a must.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've had my permit for about a year but wasn't sure what gun I wanted. I just wasn't comfortable about buying a gun without a chance to shoot it first. It's not easy for me on the 'conceal' end of carry so I knew I wanted it to be as small as possible with the biggest caliber I could handle. If the first shot set me on my rear end, I don't see how it could really help me. I plan on practicing with it until it almost becomes a part of me. I want to get an ankle holster because it still won't be that easy for me to conceal it on my person. But I'm still going to practice from any place I may carry. I can even practice some without loading it. I pray I never ever have to use it in any way but with the terror that almost has to be in your mind if the need to use should arise I feel that the 'how' part is something that needs to be natural to me.

I've wanted the Crimson Trace from the beginning but not sure I can swing it now. I had so idea I couldn't find a cheaper price on tires. Half the places don't even have the size I need. I have no problem with denying Peter to give to Paul if Paul is what helps lengthen my life expectancy. But since my tires are bald and I do have a gun, my tires are a bigger risk. I still plan on getting one but it may have to go on the back burner for now. I really think it will be a great practice tool. Just think how much neater it would be in an actual emergency. sad.png

With this right comes great responsibility. I owe it to everyone around me to know how to use it.

• Like 3

I hear you on the budget.

Have you considered a wallet style holster like this one?http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/RUGER/LCP-380CAL/POCKET-HOLSTERS/Super-Fly This can be in your jacket or jeans pocket every day and just look like a wallet or make up compact in outline.

Most people end up finding ankle holsters to be impractical, un comfortable, etc. Plus if you need to run or fight, do you really want to be doubled over fiddling with your ankle while you do so? It would be like trying tie your shoes while walking.

Has anyone had any experience with the Laserlite sight that sells for half as much and mounts on the side, instead of in front of the TG?

http://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Side-Mount-Laser-Ruger/dp/B005FSRDHU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I know CT is "the name brand" and that's cool and all that... but this isn't about cool, it's about effective and affordable. I personally can't stand lasers that mount off the front of the TG or even under the front of the frame on a pistol. It turns what used to be a nice sleek, easy to holster weapon, into a big block looking front end, and makes most holsters not usable any more. We got her a nice LCP specific leather holster with the gun, along with a nice 'in the pocket' soft holster, but neither of those will work if we put a CT on it. After seeing the price difference, and checking out reviews, as well as looking at pics of LCPs with this type laser mounted on them, I must say I like it much better than the CT. It has a programmable pulse/ or beam you can set either to be first to come on. Another thing I really like is you can actually shoot effectively with the laser off, without having to remove the laser and take out the battery. This to me would be a major plus, in that there is already almost no room to get a firm hold on the grip, being so short, and the way the CT works, it takes up about a half an inch of that critical space needed to fully control the weapon. She already expressed concerns after that first time shooting, and enjoying great accuracy with it, that she sure hoped the CT activation tab / button didn't change the feel of it enough to throw off that accuracy. She has already shown she really doesn't even need a laser for actual shooting with the LCP, she mainly wants it for a good practice tool, and of course that ol thing where the BG sees a dot on his chest and hopefully stops what he's doing immediately so you don't have to shoot. I for one could not get e good feel for dry firing any of the ones I've checked out in the stores, that had the CT fitted to them. I already have a hard time with it, even with the extended FP for extra grip room. I couldn't really get a decent grip with the two and a half finger width grip, without accidentally activating the laser. I think that would be a major distraction for me.

All these things and the fact my good friend told me the one on his wife's LCP was ok at 25 feet, but you aren't always shooting from 25 feet, and it was way off if she was trying to move closer or farther back. In that case I would surely want the option to turn the damn thing off and on at will.

Yes I did read that the Laserlite isn't as bright as the CT, but just how bright does an up close and personal laser like this need to be? Only bad reports I heard was it was a little difficult to see on a bright colored background from 100' or more away, in bright sunlight. In that case they said the pulse function was handy because it's easier to quickly acquire it in bright sunlight.

If it were my gun, I would skip the hype and the hi dollar name brand BS, and go with a laser that's more practical for actual use. I have a beamshot laser I never installed on my G-17, because it just makes the front end too bulky, and my gun is a Gen 2 anyway so no rail to mount to if I did want it there. I've been holding out for a Lasermax one that replaces the recoil spring guide rod. That to me is a much better option that does not change the ergonomics at all. My only other choice to keep the profile that I want, is actually a CT grip mounted laser, that puts the laser itself about the same location as this Laserlite has it on the LCP.

Opinions from anyone who has actually used one?

Thanks for all your input guys, we both appreciate it. wink.png

• Like 1
Has anyone had any experience with the Laserlite sight that sells for half as much and mounts on the side, instead of in front of the TG?

http://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Side-Mount-Laser-Ruger/dp/B005FSRDHU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I know CT is "the name brand" and that's cool and all that... but this isn't about cool, it's about effective and affordable. I personally can't stand lasers that mount off the front of the TG or even under the front of the frame on a pistol. It turns what used to be a nice sleek, easy to holster weapon, into a big block looking front end, and makes most holsters not usable any more. We got her a nice LCP specific leather holster with the gun, along with a nice 'in the pocket' soft holster, but neither of those will work if we put a CT on it. After seeing the price difference, and checking out reviews, as well as looking at pics of LCPs with this type laser mounted on them, I must say I like it much better than the CT. It has a programmable pulse/ or beam you can set either to be first to come on. Another thing I really like is you can actually shoot effectively with the laser off, without having to remove the laser and take out the battery. This to me would be a major plus, in that there is already almost no room to get a firm hold on the grip, being so short, and the way the CT works, it takes up about a half an inch of that critical space needed to fully control the weapon. She already expressed concerns after that first time shooting, and enjoying great accuracy with it, that she sure hoped the CT activation tab / button didn't change the feel of it enough to throw off that accuracy. She has already shown she really doesn't even need a laser for actual shooting with the LCP, she mainly wants it for a good practice tool, and of course that ol thing where the BG sees a dot on his chest and hopefully stops what he's doing immediately so you don't have to shoot. I for one could not get e good feel for dry firing any of the ones I've checked out in the stores, that had the CT fitted to them. I already have a hard time with it, even with the extended FP for extra grip room. I couldn't really get a decent grip with the two and a half finger width grip, without accidentally activating the laser. I think that would be a major distraction for me.

All these things and the fact my good friend told me the one on his wife's LCP was ok at 25 feet, but you aren't always shooting from 25 feet, and it was way off if she was trying to move closer or farther back. In that case I would surely want the option to turn the damn thing off and on at will.

Yes I did read that the Laserlite isn't as bright as the CT, but just how bright does an up close and personal laser like this need to be? Only bad reports I heard was it was a little difficult to see on a bright colored background from 100' or more away, in bright sunlight. In that case they said the pulse function was handy because it's easier to quickly acquire it in bright sunlight.

If it were my gun, I would skip the hype and the hi dollar name brand BS, and go with a laser that's more practical for actual use. I have a beamshot laser I never installed on my G-17, because it just makes the front end too bulky, and my gun is a Gen 2 anyway so no rail to mount to if I did want it there. I've been holding out for a Lasermax one that replaces the recoil spring guide rod. That to me is a much better option that does not change the ergonomics at all. My only other choice to keep the profile that I want, is actually a CT grip mounted laser, that puts the laser itself about the same location as this Laserlite has it on the LCP.

Opinions from anyone who has actually used one?

Thanks for all your input guys, we both appreciate it. wink.png

Cobra, I have them on my Glocks and LOVE them!! They work great, no wires, pads, no getting in the way, use regular holsters. To me they are a better deal than Crimson Trace. Even have them on my wifes Rossi snubbie...great lasers!

• Like 1

Wow does the same one work on a Glock? I may have to get myself one if so. I can pick em up at my local shop for a good price.

Edit > Ok I saw the ones for the Glock. Not really sure about the mouse ears on my rear sight but I guess ya get used to it. I think I would rather modify the one made to go on the LCP or the LC9 version, and drill / tap it to fit the side of my frame. That to me is the beauty of the Laserlyte.

The pics of them on a Glock don't do them justice. See if you can find one set up and handle it. I got mine for a little over a c note, just a couple of minutes installing and voila! Actually, they look pretty good on the Glock, but to each his own. The laser might not be as strong as CT, but they work fine out to 25 yards +, and thats as far as one would need them to work. If you do set one up like you are talking about, post the pics, I would like to see what it looks like.

Cobra-

I'm with you on laser location, and brand following. The location is why I like the original m9 laser grips I have. The thing about the laser clip for the plastic guns (& center activation laser grip models) versus all the other options I have seen is the location of the activation button. I've handled the ones you are describing and thought them clever, but nothing beats the little dot right underneath the trigger guard on the front strap for reflexive activation. I had your concerns about negatively effecting the ability to hold the gun, but in practice I wasn't bothered at all.

As for brightness, all the red ones are so close that it's more of a theoretical advantage than real between decent brands. You can't really gain much from any of them unless it is at least overcast. At dusk, fog or night they are a game changer though, and a good persuader. CTC is starting to offer green versions of their most popular models, and that will be the real thing to have. Green is just way more visible in daylight and night. Yes the price is high. I think they could probably turn a profit selling their red laser models for about $75 to be honest. Maybe the competition will force them to.

• Like 1

That's some damn good shooting from an LCP. I can't speak much on lasers cause I just don't believe in 'em (or can use them worth anything) myself. A company by the name of Innovative Arms offers a dovetail sight upgrade with a Trijicon front night sight which might be about the same price as a good laser. Another cheaper option is to shorten and mount one of those fiber optic shotgun beads to the top of the slide... something I've been meaning to try out.

Probably the best method to use the gun as is is what evlblkwpnz mentioned with point shooting with one hand. I've got medium sized hands, and I the only way I can effectively use two hands with the gun is to tea cup with my left thumb on the left sight of the grips in the gap my right hand makes... and even that just makes for more awkward handling than just one hand.

The LCP really is a challenge to shoot well as a main carry but the fact it literally can go anywhere with you anytime definitely makes up for it. Even with good holsters, its a mental fight everyday for me to pick up the Glock over it just because its so damn nice and easy to carry.

• Like 1

I tried the father in laws LCP and it just wasn't for me. The long trigger pull and the "twistiness" of the recoil was too much of a detractor. That and the first time my wife tried it it broke her nail. We settled on the Sig P238. I use that as my summer carry (.45 is the winter carry).

I'm not a lazer fan myself. I tend to concentrate on it too much and the wiggling drives me nuts. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if I were face with having to fire. Especially on a smaller weapon such as the LCP. Just my $.02... Let her keep shooting and get good(er) with the weapon before putting that lazer on it. I truly think that the lazer puts more thought into a very tense situation that will more than likely require a quick point and shoot. Work on draws, moving shooting.

Front site and muscle memory works for me. I have actually taken better shots moving quickly away from a target using more muscle memory than visual than I ever thought possible.

Cobra, My wife outshoots the shit outta me with her G30 and I like it.

I've always wanted one of those LaserMax since they first came out years ago (and they wouldn't sell to the general public back then), but now I could kind of see "gettin jiggy with it" and would rather just have a tritium front sight. Place the front sight where you want the bullet to go and pull the trigger. Absolutely nothing could be simpler in low light. No dovetail rear lights/sights to try and line up or anything, no jiggly laser, Just point and pull. Simple, and compact. It's all you really need for a pistol. Seriously, if you are trying to aim for accuracy over 25 feet or so, in a heightened situation, you might want to rethink your sidearm. I don't have any personal experience to back this up. But I like to keep things reflexive and simple. Plus, you don't have to worry about batteries going dead.