Converted 12 Safety Issue

I recently converted my saiga 12 after watching many vids on youtube. Everything worked out great once I bought a tac47 gas plug. Now I can run low brass ammo all day without a single jam. My issue is with the safety when in the safe position. It moves up to far and can allow the bolt to go under it if your not watching out. Seems there needs to be a piece that sticks out so it hits the dust cover on the top. This is how my AK47 is and the sagia was until everything got moved up with the conversion. I thought I might find someone doing custom safety work by tigging on a arm to act as a stop but after some time on google I cant find anyone doing this. Anyone out there have any ideas?

This is my first post and I did some searching on this forum and didnt find any answers so sorry if there is already posts on this topic. I just couldnt find anything.

Thanks for looking,

• Like 1

I'm thinking the original trigger mechanism had a built in stop on it. I believe some have installed this stop on their conversion triggers and others have welded a stop on as you mentioned. I'm not sure any of the vendors here do the mod for you or not. Someone will know.

Edited by TacticoolTim

Drill a very small dimple along the safety scribe line, both top and bottom of the receiver. The dimple should be approximately 1/4" from both full on & off. The nipple on the safety will rest in the dimple stopping any excess travel. Just bump the drill as not to drill through the receiver.

Edited by Jetmech

Good post. I like the dimples for having a tactile click at a mid point too.

If you have to fit your safety, you can put a notch onto the trigger body to make a stop rather than shorten the safety tab.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is this a huge issue. I mean this is the safety and it should work flawlessly.There must be thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people that have converted their Saiga and seems their confortable with the operation of the safety in its new postion. When a person buys a conversion kit from Carolina Shooter Supply, like I did, it should come with a new safety leaver that has a new bent over area that will work in the new position. I am having trouble taking in the fact that no one else has a problem with this.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but with the conversion, nothing changes in regard to the safety lever. In fact, I just checked mine and it looks like the lower picture of the AK. I used the original trigger guard and left the stop in the original position. Trying to figure where the problem discussed is?

Captken, you are correct about nothing changing. The problem is only noticed after conversion. I think it is only some dust covers that are looser than others. Mine does the same thing. Doesn't let the gun shoot though so I don't see the "safety" issue...

If you look at your OEM trigger group you will notice a difference on the disconnector. it has a stop to limit how far the safety can move. This is not present on any of the trigger groups you would use on conversion.

Coming over to the AK platform from the AR world, that was one of the things that bother me the most about this platform. The safety is awkward and cheap feeling even when it is working the way it should, and scratches the receiver, which bugs the heck out of me. Because of this, I just don't use the safety at all. If I'm not shooting than I don't have a round chambered, and obviously no booger hook on the bang switch until I'm ready to fire - that is my safety. I do plan to study this problem and come up with something, though to make it workable once I get into my conversion just because I enjoy fabricating, and hate having stuff on my guns, or cars that don't work right.

Ran across a Youtube video that showed the economy conversion and in the video the guy showed how to take the tension out of the safety lever if it was too tight. So my question is, does the dimple on the back of the safety actually serves any function or is it there to make the scratch in the paint? If the lever was adjusted to the point where the dimple didn't ride the receiver, would it hurt anything?

Ran across a Youtube video that showed the economy conversion and in the video the guy showed how to take the tension out of the safety lever if it was too tight. So my question is, does the dimple on the back of the safety actually serves any function or is it there to make the scratch in the paint? If the lever was adjusted to the point where the dimple didn't ride the receiver, would it hurt anything?

Can you post a link to the video?

Coming over to the AK platform from the AR world, that was one of the things that bother me the most about this platform. The safety is awkward and cheap feeling even when it is working the way it should, and scratches the receiver, which bugs the heck out of me. Because of this, I just don't use the safety at all. If I'm not shooting than I don't have a round chambered, and obviously no booger hook on the bang switch until I'm ready to fire - that is my safety. I do plan to study this problem and come up with something, though to make it workable once I get into my conversion just because I enjoy fabricating, and hate having stuff on my guns, or cars that don't work right.

Counterpoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfGnz38K9ik

Easy fix:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1114-safety-mod/

Edited by GunFun
Is it just me or is this a huge issue. I mean this is the safety and it should work flawlessly.There must be thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people that have converted their Saiga and seems their confortable with the operation of the safety in its new postion. When a person buys a conversion kit from Carolina Shooter Supply, like I did, it should come with a new safety leaver that has a new bent over area that will work in the new position. I am having trouble taking in the fact that no one else has a problem with this.

Here's the deal. When you do it yourself - and it isn't right - you have no one to point a finger at but yourself.

If I buy parts from XYZ supply, do my own automotive work, and fuck up my car, its my own fault. CSS didn't do the work. You did.

The good people on this forum will cut you a fair amount of slack, and will bend over backwards to help you sort out whatever DIY issues you have. However, If you disparage reputable suppliers that forum members here have relied upon for years to supply parts for their successful projects - your welcome here is likely to be short lived.

• Like 2

+1 Mike. Seriously Jacob, if you aren't aware of the Russian platform and how the tolerances fluctuate and that no part is truly "drop in" for 100% of the guns, then you either need to read more and get some balls to do things yourself or get lost.

Almost everything Iraqiveteran888 says to do with the saiga platform is the wrong way to do.

I will try to record a quick vid that shows a simpler better way to solve most of the common issues with AK safetys. You should not need a drill and vice to address safety tension.

Whenever it finishes uploading, the video will be here:

having a couple issues with my camera ATM, so it is taking a bit to sort it out. Several takes later, I have a video uploading. Lighting is bad, but whatever. Stupid camera.

Also, Mike is right about conversion kits. The OEM safety works for the overwhelming majority of users without modification. Every kit I am aware of alerts you that you may need to do some fitting. A vendor is not obligated to include a part that few users need, or can be solved with a file and a few minutes of work. I would have more of a problem with them selling you a part that you almost certainly don't need that probably won't solve any problems(cough reliability kits cough*) Especially when no single part can be guaranteed to fit without modification for all users. A vendor would have to send 4 or 5 safeties to allow for every possible variation, and that still wouldn't work as well as just doing a little fitting for an exact fit.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 5

Iraqiveteran888 isn't all bad. He has some good tricks and then some I wouldn't do like drilling out the front sight to repair the gas ports. I like the way he reused the original trigger guard and how to knock out the rear rivets without drilling. I watched several different people's video conversions and took a little information from each.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but with the conversion, nothing changes in regard to the safety lever. In fact, I just checked mine and it looks like the lower picture of the AK. I used the original trigger guard and left the stop in the original position. Trying to figure where the problem discusse

Captken, I thought long and hard about your statement and couldnt understand why mine would be different because the safety isnt moved during a conversion. With that in mind, mine must have been wrong before I did the conversion, however, I bought my gun brand new in the box. I have a AK and keep a few parts around, I found another cover for my AK so I could mount an optic if I so desire. To my shock when I got to looking at the two covers the opening for the bolt is much smaller on the aftermarket one for my AK. I put the aftermarket one on my Saiga and the safety hits perfectly now. Im left wondering why my gun has the wrong cover on it??? I'll post a pic of below.

gunpic6.jpg

Mke, thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. As I was not expecting the red carpet treatment I surely wasnt expecting to get beatup and walk away with a black eye for mentioning what seemed to be a serious safety issue. I feel it was reasonable to question the manufacture of a product, if in fact that product didnt address an issue with the safety that is caused by their product. As it turns out the kit did not cause this issue but that is not the point now. Maybe in the futrue you should use language a little more appropriate. Maybe you should try meditation an release some of that anger or hook up with your ole lady for some late night execersise and release some tention?

WOW, +1 , get lost........ are you all kidding? I really hope you two are the exception and not the rule on this forum site.

4 post & digs at two business members.. CSS & LSA... multiple RAP's..

New accounts bashing business members is the fastest way to get tossed..

It get's reported, people get banned.. don't even try and involve me...

Ugh. This is why we are losing good contributors. One ill informed post digging at a vendor, one post responding to another vendor who jumped on his case more harshly than necessary. Then a mod implies that he will get banned.

As for the safety-- the trigger group changed. There is tolerance in the styles of FCG, the manufacture of each type, the location of two pin holes (axis and safety)... tolerances stack, one size does not fit all.

Dustcover-- this isn't a rifle. It is a short stroke gas gun that has a high degree of commonality with rifles. If you noticed, that 3" 12 ga shell is a lot bigger than a 7.62 x 39 mm shell, and it needs more room to eject. S12s have a bigger opening and a shutter to allow for this. They also have a larger magazine opening and a different mag release tab.

Money makes the world go round. vendors keep the forum going..

Never said it was a good system.... it simply is.. Nothing new here..

4 post is hardly a "contributor".. regardless..

LOTS of "new" accounts oddly target vendors.. this gets noticed and flagged in RAP.

Then there are the actions I'm expected to make regarding flagged post.

there ARE shills out there.. that may or may not be the case here.

either way, new accts that target vendors get tossed..

I AM about sick to DEATH of filtering all the shit & getting the blame for it, though..

Almost everything Iraqiveteran888 says to do with the saiga platform is the wrong way to do.

I will try to record a quick vid that shows a simpler better way to solve most of the common issues with AK safetys. You should not need a drill and vice to address safety tension.

Whenever it finishes uploading, the video will be here:

having a couple issues with my camera ATM, so it is taking a bit to sort it out. Several takes later, I have a video uploading. Lighting is bad, but whatever. Stupid camera.

Also, Mike is right about conversion kits. The OEM safety works for the overwhelming majority of users without modification. Every kit I am aware of alerts you that you may need to do some fitting. A vendor is not obligated to include a part that few users need, or can be solved with a file and a few minutes of work. I would have more of a problem with them selling you a part that you almost certainly don't need that probably won't solve any problems(cough reliability kits cough*) Especially when no single part can be guaranteed to fit without modification for all users. A vendor would have to send 4 or 5 safeties to allow for every possible variation, and that still wouldn't work as well as just doing a little fitting for an exact fit.

Gun Fun has made an outstanding video which does an excellent job of covering the correct operation of the AK safety, along with modification, adjustment and technique for correct tensioning.

I strongly recommend that he create an independent "how to" thread for the video, and recommend that the forum make the thread readily available as a sticky.

Great stuff, Gun Fun!

• Like 1

Sure. Thanks. I needed to get some more indirect lighting in front of me. For most of the vid, the safety and everything I am trying to show is silhouetted.

I can do that sometime. I forgot to put the link into my gallery, and the gallery link in the video.

• Like 1