Cant decide. What would you guys pick?

Couple things to think about are:

MAGS:

SLR you can get ((10)) mags for around $40

PAP: galil's will work if you modify bullet guide

otherwise I use the same mags as the SLR which are the bulgarian ((10)) or Yugo .223 mags

Muzzle Nut threads:

SLR, no threads under muzzle nut, PINNED

PAP, threads under nut but you need detent pin and spring to put on a booster/hider

Sights:

SLR: if sights are canted or bullet hits to the right or left, you can get a Gen 2 cover to help.

PAP: kindof stuck with the sights you've got, if they're off, they're off.

Scope rail:

SLR: comes with one

PAP: does not

trunnions for SBR:

SLR I think has sidefolder trunnion, they did at shotshow

PAP: cannot attach underfolder for SBR as Serial # is in the way. Maybe attach ace folding mech/ stock or other type???

PAP. HD trunnion & receiver. Rear trunnion set up for underfolder, ready to be drilled. If you NFA SBR, you can have the serial number engraved elsewhere on the receiver - you are going to have to get your trust info engraved anyway. The Yugo handguards are also larger, longer and more comfortable.

The SLR106 pistol is cool, but the pressed/pinned brake sucks. This is about the only downside to it. Putting a sidefolder on it would require the trunnion be pulled, but fortunately the receiver is already angle-cut for it, and it has the proper rivet pattern. No front latch cutout though.

Personally I see no point to own one unless its to SBR, but thats just me. Can't do SBR in WA state yet, so I own neither.

Edited by mancat
I wish that was what I ordered but I only had about 900 to spend. I probably should of saved my money and bought the 7.62. Is it possible to remove pinned/pressed slr pistol and thread for a tromix shark brake?

Yes, and kvar also has the correct brake for it. Runs about $50 more than the shark brake. either way you'll just need to thread it 14x1 LH. Either have a builder do it or do it yourself if you're capable.

AK-136B

Edited by AZG
  • 1 month later...

Well I went with the arsenal slr106. I now see that they are producing a version with an 8.5 inch barrel? How bad would that effect the ballistics of the 556?

My main question is.... Am I a step ahead with this when planning to sbr and install an ak100 folding stock? What is the deal with the rear trunnion in this thing?

I also think it would look good with a wood stock back there, but then I would need to replace the trunnion with one that has a tang? Please excuse my lack of expertise in this area. I think it would be cool to make a wood stock fold with ak100 folding hardware. Is that even possible? big_smile.gif

-DL

The rear trunnion has to come out and get replaced with a hinged trunnion with release/latch mechanism. The receiver already has the correct slant cut for the hinged trunnion to drop in. Obviously you need to drill the holes for the release button on both sides. There are printable templates for this online.

On the front, you have to drill the bottom of the receiver to install the latch pin. The trunnion should already have the hole for it. If not, drill it. You have to drill the cut for the latch on the side of the receiver. The tough part is getting the thing installed. From what I've seen, it can be a real bitch to squirm that thing in there with the trunnion in place.

Do you know a reliable place to get templates from the internet?

The rear trunnion has to come out and get replaced with a hinged trunnion with release/latch mechanism. The receiver already has the correct slant cut for the hinged trunnion to drop in. Obviously you need to drill the holes for the release button on both sides. There are printable templates for this online.

On the front, you have to drill the bottom of the receiver to install the latch pin. The trunnion should already have the hole for it. If not, drill it. You have to drill the cut for the latch on the side of the receiver. The tough part is getting the thing installed. From what I've seen, it can be a real bitch to squirm that thing in there with the trunnion in place.

Well I went with the arsenal slr106. I now see that they are producing a version with an 8.5 inch barrel? How bad would that effect the ballistics of the 556?

My main question is.... Am I a step ahead with this when planning to sbr and install an ak100 folding stock? What is the deal with the rear trunnion in this thing?

I also think it would look good with a wood stock back there, but then I would need to replace the trunnion with one that has a tang? Please excuse my lack of expertise in this area. I think it would be cool to make a wood stock fold with ak100 folding hardware. Is that even possible? big_smile.gif

-DL

http://counterstrikefox.freeservers.com/mv.htm

I think it would be cool to make a wood stock fold with ak100 folding hardware. Is that even possible? big_smile.gif
-DL

attachicon.gifSBR Mockup.jpg

Here is my pathetic attempt at using paint.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/53657-how-bout-those-hot-rodded-dracos/page-6?hl

See Post #164

Is there any way to do that using AK100 series hardware?

+1 if you are patient and handy, you can fit the bits into a piece of wood. You may need to add some epoxy or other filler for support in some areas. (thinking of the little place where the latch catches.)

Also AK 100 series have a cutout router-ed into the left side to clear the scope rail. IMO this would be ugly on a wood stock, and tricky without a template and router guide. Also many stocks might have hollows where you would want to mill in. This isn't a problem with the PAP, I imagine, since it lacks the rail, but I would be curious to know if the front latch would have a place to go on the receiver. Are those up front dimensions the same?

For my $.02, AK 100 is nice, but not to the degree of the hype. I like my Bulgy wood on ACE hinge setup, with custom tang replacement ferrule better than those I have handled. Your taste may vary. This would be very easy to install on a PAP if you put up the cash for a stamp.

+1 if you are patient and handy, you can fit the bits into a piece of wood. You may need to add some epoxy or other filler for support in some areas. (thinking of the little place where the latch catches.)

Also AK 100 series have a cutout router-ed into the left side to clear the scope rail. IMO this would be ugly on a wood stock, and tricky without a template and router guide. Also many stocks might have hollows where you would want to mill in. This isn't a problem with the PAP, I imagine, since it lacks the rail, but I would be curious to know if the front latch would have a place to go on the receiver. Are those up front dimensions the same?

For my $.02, AK 100 is nice, but not to the degree of the hype. I like my Bulgy wood on ACE hinge setup, with custom tang replacement ferrule better than those I have handled. Your taste may vary. This would be very easy to install on a PAP if you put up the cash for a stamp.

I would be sbring the SLR, and fortunatley I purchased the one without the scope rail because I never intented on putting an optic on it in the first place. I also thing the SLR reciever is already cut to the proper angle. its much steeper than my other saigas and vepr. Kind of convenient now that I want to give this a shot(after all legal steps are taken). Thanks for the help gunfun and 1911, greatly appreciated. Do you know of anywhere that sells just the hardware with the stock itself? Im also looking for the templates for the cut outs..

With the climate the way it is these days, I would have gone PAP. Surp mags are still easy to find, seems anything in 5.56/.223 is either difficult to find, needs some modding to fit and no matter which situation, requires a lot of $. Surplus x39s are still going for relatively cheap when they come in, comparatively. Either way, hope it works out good for ya and be sure to get some finished pics up once it's set. beer.gif