Start saving pennies!

Save your pennies from 1982 and earlier. Just reading up on swaging bullets gave me an idea. The article said that 90/10 copper/zinc alloy is used for bullet jackets. Guess what old pennies are made from? The same 90/10 alloy!!!

No wonder our gun grabbin gubmint changed them!

Negative.

pre-1982 copper pennies are 95% copper, 5% zinc. I'm not sure if that would work well for a jacket material - probably.

Save those pennies, if for no other reason, then because the base metal value is already about 246% of face value.

That does not apply. The purpose of that law was to prevent someone from, for example, stripping 1% of the weight from gold or silver coins, then passing them back into circulation at their full face value.

Defacing currency and coin is not in and of itself illegal - otherwise those ubiquitous coin-stamping machines found at fairgrounds, museums, amusement parks and other miscellaneous attractions would not be so ubiquitous.

• Like 1

also of note...........

Nickles produced up through a rather recent year are actually worth more than their .05 face value.

I forgot the exact year but the mint has been changing them and many banks are reluctant to dispense extra quantities of rolled nickles

Have fun

Harv

Alt method: Mine the berm for range lead. Skim the jackets off the top and electro plate that copper back onto your cast bullets. It's already the right alloy. Possibly do similar only using fired 22lr brass as jacket anode material.

• 3 weeks later...
Alt method: Mine the berm for range lead. Skim the jackets off the top and electro plate that copper back onto your cast bullets. It's already the right alloy. Possibly do similar only using fired 22lr brass as jacket anode material.

naw, ya would have to cast em undersize then no? requiring all new molds etc?

I don't think so actually, If you do a fairly thin plate, you don't have to add meaningful thickness to prevent gas cutting. With cast bullets you usually want .001"- .002" over slugged diameter. It looks like you can plate a bullet maybe an additional ~.0004" and that is enough to prevent leading and gas cutting, but not enough to really change how easily the lead conforms to the rifling. So you get a slicker cleaner bullet and reduced lead handling without much change in load data needed. Basically just enough copper or brass to keep the rifling from cutting through the plate. Scratch a remington or cci plated 22lr. They put enough copper or brass blend to prevent lead smearing, but not so much that rifling doesn't cut the copper. I expect berrys and similar plated bullets go just barely thicker.

I have been looking at others who are doing that, and as near as I can tell they are using standard bullets "as cast" (without sizing). The methods I have seen are absurdly laborious. Mostly because they are carefully hanging about 5-10 bullets from a cathode wire. They prove that plating works with hand cast though. My thoughts are more to make a couple racks. One would be a metal plate on the bottom of the tank. Basically you would take the plastic trays that factory ammo comes in and stick them on a belt sander so that every bullet placed in the trays would allow the tip to poke through. That way when you set it on the bottom of the tank they would all make contact with the same plate at the same height. (since they should all be the same length.)Then there would be another plastic mesh tray that the anode would go in sitting on top of that. This would hold a uniform gap between the anode and bullets so that they should plate at about the same rate. The way it looks in my head, I think you could get away with using scrap wiring as the anode and make a sort of tray that would allow you to just set it in the proper rows and hook on a couple gator clips.

Another theoretical perk would be that you could possibly get away with using the easier to find pure soft lead without having to enrich your alloy. Since you don't need lube grooves anymore, you can choose molds that don't need tin to fill out the complex shapes.

BTW, the most common complaints I have been finding about molds is that they cast under desired size to start with, so this could be a way to skip the "beagling" process. i.e. book size for 9mm is .356, however the vast majority of 9mm guns prefer .358" Nominal mold size is .356, but it might drop at .355" .005" of plating would take it up to the size a jacketed bullet would be, and maybe add the rigidity too. My lee 6 cav mold drops .358" with 50/50" WW/pure PB, So why mess with something that works.

A fancy person could also dip the tips in wax and scratch off the very end (just to make electrical contact) before plating so that most of the tip did not get the plating for a Nosler partition effect.

I don't want to mess with anything like this unless I can figure out a way to do it in large enough batches to make the work negligible. I might be willing to gas check rifle bullets, but I am still reluctant to bother.

• 2 weeks later...

So that big ass pickle jar I have in the basement FULL of pennies, that has to be moved with a set of hand trucks, might actually be worth something? I've been dumping pennies in this thing for YEARS, a few here and there when I have them. There is also a bunch of wheat pennies in there too.