Hammer Moves Side To Side

I'm using the factory hammer and spring, and no BHO. I just noticed that my hammer can move about 1/8 of an inch side to side. Thats more then the thickness of the BHO. It seems like the hammer spring dictates where the hammer sits on the axis pin. Is this something normal, or should I put some kind of spacer on one, or both sides of the hammer. The gun is a Saiga 12.

Also, there is a scratch on the bolt carrier where it is rubbing on something. It looks like this.post-42515-0-95681300-1360790254_thumb.jpg

There are no corresponding marks on the top cover. I dont see this on the pictures of other guns. Could this be considered normal?

Or is something not lining up right.

The carrier does hit the top cover in this area. post-42515-0-38035200-1360790694_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts?

And, glad to be a member of this forum. Great bunch of people.

having a bit of side to side movement of the hammer is normal on all AKs, all of mine do it, on my S12 I reused my hammer as well, and have the BHO installed, it has the same thing, some side to side movement.

but, the face of the hammer should still sit pretty much center on the tail of the bolt. if yours is sitting way off one side or the other, where a good bit of the hammer face is completely off the bolt tail, then you need to shim it a bit.

as for that scratch, it's coming from the "port extention" on the recoil spring. it's probably has a bit of bend inward either on the front of it or the back, that has caused that scratch, it's not a biggie,

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2

If you dont mind the hammer moving, then just leave it. I dont see it hurting anything. Since you didnt use the BHO, Id use a small washer about the same thickness of the BHO and it should put it right back into the same spec as it was with the BHO intact. Whenever I remove the factory BHO, i always use a washer. Just me.

Thanks for the replies. I lowered the hammer on the bolt and moved it as much as it will go. It always has good contact, so I feel a bit better now. I didn't think about checking that before. The scratch will be considered the smile of a happy gun. O well, may as well grab a box of 100 and go show it some love. Thanks again.