A theological question for s12 forum, re: pope

The Vatican got hit by a bolt of lightning the other day.

But if the guy feels he can't do any more good he should call it a career.

What good is it to watch a pope slowly weaken and die?

I feel the same, He is a smart man, I pray for Him in His time of need.

• Like 2

Since I am NOT a Papist, it matters not to me, one way or the other. But!

I do think it's refreshing to see that someone who has a lifetime appointment to yield so much power to an "unknown" successor and legacy, finds the fortitude to step down.

I admire that he yields power, time and indecision rather than grasping to it until the bitter end....

In that regard, Much PROPS and respect!

Otherwise, I wish CPL Ratzinger a wonderful sunset!

He has surely earned it.

Macbeau sends...

• Like 3
So, if the pope resigns, is he still infallible? Discuss.

Only to practicing ROMAN Catholics, world-wide....

And the Vatican's Swiss Bankers.....

I am sure they are "chaking-in-their-chit!"

Macbeau sends...

tenniomacbeau, i'm glad you started posting again.

But really, was infallibility and the power to sway millions of people's opinion just a job perk? Does he get a retirement package?

He gets a "Golden Parachute"; Catholically speaking....

Going to a "Nunnary" near Rome to live out his days...

(Read: Not a Monistary or Monastic-Order - filled with monks and Abbots... IE: Dudes)

In Italy... (Not Germany or some lesser-economic country)...

He is going to be considered "Emeritus Faculty" with tenure...

He'll be just fine and well taken care of...

Macbeau sends...

I'd say he'll do just fine....

Edited by macbeau

I agree on the tenure, he'll be well taken care of.

One thing I think worth mentioning is the responsibility of being Pope. Yes, he is considered

to be infallible, but I bet he has to work at it. What I mean is, when you're the Pope, you're considered

the arm of Christ. You just can't say just anything, everything you do is guidance to a billion people.

What if you fuck up? I know there's plenty of Catholic haters out there, but even the most jaded can acknowledge

the tremendous strain and self doubt that puts upon you. What if you heard God wrong? I know, that when God speaks

to me, it's very, very subtle, and can be rationalized and written off as something else, though I am trying to listen harder.

The only inkling I have of how it must be is when you publish something, you aren't speaking as yourself, rather, as an

authority on a matter, and your words will be cited, so everything you do must be researched ahead of time. I can

barely imagine having every word that comes out of your mouth being considered practically Gospel.

To answer the question, when he assumed the title of Pope and took the name Benedict, he became the arm of God.

When you step down from the title, you are only yourself again, so he has not the authority to speak as the infallible Pope.

I think it's going to be weird, and we probably won't hear from him until he passes to his reward.

• Like 2

the pope is infallible... people who are NOT pope are fallible..

when he is no longer pope, he will be fallible again..

(It's the magic hat! ;) )

The Pope influences much of Europe (albeit, fading influence), some of Asia, a lot of Africa and much of latin America. He has "significant" influence in North America (mostly in Canada and Mexico), but in many areas that are also wanting "liberalization" or "reformation" in church doctrine...

In countries that wield real economic, miliitary or fiscal power..... The Catholic church is stuck in the 3rd world (to save souls) and the 19th centuary *as far as propriety) - insofar as church policy.

I am not saying they (the Catholic Church) should sacrifice their principals....., It's just that the world has passed those principals by.... And the Catholic church failed to recognize or do anything about it....

BUT - To answer your fallibility question....

If it takes a regular dump or breathes air.... It's fallible...

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1

The "infalibility" of the Pope, as defined by the church, only extends to his ability interpret Church teachings. People misunderstand what it means to be infalible within that context; it is analogous to how the Supreme Court has the final say in the interpretation of US law. Its merely a supremacy of interpretation. Papal infalibility also is confined to that hierarichal position in the church and there are procedural aspects to it. The Pope can't just say something and it becomes the will of the Church. A statement made within the infalibility of Papal authority must be written and declared from the Papal seat in the Vatican. It must be read allowed and follow a specific structure. Only after that is what the Pope says regarded as infalible and only in those specific instances.

When he steps down he will no longer be in that position of authority, he will not be able to sit on the Papal throne, and read statements stating he is Pope and making an infalible statement. Thus he will not be infalible.

Edited by Mythos
  • Like 2
But if the guy feels he can't do any more good he should call it a career.

What good is it to watch a pope slowly weaken and die?

I wish some of our Supreme Court Justices would admit to the same limitations.

Unfortunately, I don't want our current Liar-In-Chief anointing any new ones, either... :unsure:

Not a Catholic, but much of my family is. The more serious ones will continue to worship any living former pope and believe that everything he says is direct word from God. Such people won't have any problem in their mind of there being "two" popes - the official one, and the one living in the Vatican's retirement home.

I will say this.. The Catholic church needs a young pope. It's a poor practice to choose a pope who is already nearing death upon his acceptance. They are hinting at this, but also it seems to be an obsession of the Vatican to now choose a Latino or African pope, since the Catholic church has nearly zero growth in Europe or North America other than in the Latin population. All of the growth is in Africa, Asia, and Central/South America.

The "infalibility" of the Pope, as defined by the church, only extends to his ability interpret Church teachings. People misunderstand what it means to be infalible within that context; it is analogous to how the Supreme Court has the final say in the interpretation of US law. Its merely a supremacy of interpretation. Papal infalibility also is confined to that hierarichal position in the church and there are procedural aspects to it. The Pope can't just say something and it becomes the will of the Church. A statement made within the infalibility of Papal authority must be written and declared from the Papal seat in the Vatican. It must be read allowed and follow a specific structure. Only after that is what the Pope says regarded as infalible and only in those specific instances.

When he steps down he will no longer be in that position of authority, he will not be able to sit on the Papal throne, and read statements stating he is Pope and making an infalible statement. Thus he will not be infalible.

well said

as a staunch catholic and believer in gun rights, people who speak of the pope as though he were infallible in all he says are as well educated on the subject as those who keep trying to ban those high capacity clipsrolleyes.gif

that being said. i don't agree with everything the church has done. i am also disappointed in peoples treating objects like deities and general poor interpretation of their own faith- not to say i'm all that great either.

i'm not emabarrased to stand up on gun rights just because i don't agree with what some gunowners do, or something wayne lapierre said. And im not embarrassed to be a catholic either

• Like 1

Until you have walked in his shoes don't judge the man. I imagine carrying that title and the responsibilities that go with it are more of a burden than most human beings can begin to understand.

I'm not a Catholic, but the Pope stands for something, and in todays world thats a rare thing...