Post Conversion testing

I tested both of my guns yesterday. I have one gun that was converted when I got it and one gun I just finished a conversion on. They both are all stock except JTE mainsprings. On both guns I also just polished the rails, carrier guides, bottom of the carrier and the hammer. I have done some minor profiling on the hammers only.

The good news is stick mag dumps with anything including universal are no problem, loading stick mags with bolt closed no problem. Drum dumps with everything but winchester universal no problem. The universal shells extract but they hang up in the bolt right before they clear. ...running promag drums. This is for both guns.

Here is my question...whats the next step to get to universal drum dumps? More profiling, replacing some other stock parts, MD drums? Not sure where to go next....Suggestions???

There are two obvious steps, either of which is likely to get you there, and both could be worthwhile in combo:

1) major bolt/ carrier reprofile - much more skill required, huge consequences to botched jobs- advantage of easier mag insertion. Or send it off to cobra or pauly for ~$100 and maybe get a galil or left side handle at the same time for a bit more.

2) minor gas port enlargement. - little skill needed, low risk of screwups -easy- all but free- no doubt about reliability in all circumstances no matter how you hold the gun.

3) you might be one of the few for whom a booster puck will do the rest of the job, but #2 is both cheaper and better.

-4) don't use a weak mainspring unless you only intend to shoot weak ammo. It makes sense for the dedicated competition guns, but for guns shooting a variety of ammo, I think it is a bad idea.

Obviously, do your testing from now on with full drum of win universal to prove gains.

• Like 1

^^^ Listen to the man...

However, I would suggest the puc before the port drilling (if you have $27), since it is reversible and can keep smaller ports for less fouling. In short: less than thirty bucks, reversible, super easy and quick, may allow smaller ports which lead to more shots fired before seizing up.

I have done everything but drill my ports and my personal gun runs Win Universal from the hip thru an MD-20 drum. It can be done. I am glad to know mine should THEORETICALLY keep shooting after other's guns have choked and seized. I know it will easily handle at least 300-plus rounds without cleaning. (More than I can shoot at a single time) super_man.gif

Edited by Nephilim7

Thanks for the suggestion/advice.I will have to give this thought. My goal is to get universal drum dumps with a stock gun. I do like the idea of a major profile job and the gali charging handle would look great on the #1 gun as it has the tromix gali handguard. Just not crazy about the wait time and I have no problems loading full mags with a closed bolt. I am leaning towards trying the CSS puck and opening up the ports. I will report back once I decide.

Went into the local wallyword this morning on the way to work and the shelf was stocked full of universal bulk packs.....I took it as a sign and loaded up a buggy...surprisingly no 3 box limit. 027.gif

I am going to try the minor port enlargement. Now to find the time to do it.