Took the new saiga sgl 12 09 out used federal bulk (walmart) on number 2 gas setting and factory 5 mag and it worked great . I was worried that it wouldnt after reading alot of horror stories on here but it was nice . I was just wondering how far should the shells eject with that ammo?

When I was shooting that stuff on the high brass setting it worked 100% but the shells ejected maybe an inch. They just plopped out and fell right at my feet. I wouldn't expect them to go 10 feet, being such low velocity shells. I fired five 3 inch magnums on the low brass setting the first time I took it out (accident) and the shells went about 20 feet up in the air and probably 30+ feet out to the side but the gun is fine.

That is correct. Wide open = wide open. $25 won't buy you magic. It will buy finer adjustment as you restrict it, and easier tool free removal and adjustment.

If they all cycled on setting #1 of your stock plug, with the 1 by the detente on the gas block, then you have plenty of gas flow even a bit much. In that case having a plug like MD is good, because it allows you to have the flow partly open rather than wide open or mostly shut.

The idea is not to make generic rules about the shell based on name or appearance, but rather to use the lowest setting it reliably cycles on whether it has tall brass or short.