AK Ratings and Major differences

Ok, I am new to the AK world. I have bought and converted my first Saiga. It now has your basic tapco t-6 stock and tapco tri rail. So that being said i think I have the itch. I am going to get another AK in the near future, market willing. What are the major difference between your typical AKs.

Waser10

yugos

bulgarian

Polish.

I know there are other AKs out there, but they seem to be the most notable. I did leave out Krebs, Ironclad, and Arsenal. Mostly due to price and because the Arsenal seem to just sell modified Saigas. As for raitings...use the 1 to 10. 1 being stay away and 10 being a damn good buy. Thanks guys.

Id list the ones you posted in the OP like this.

Bulgarian

Yugo

Polish

WASR

This is preference, and a bias opinion.

Arsenal AK's have more than meets the eye. They are not the same as the sporters we see. I dont believe Arsenal converts them at all, or ever did for that matter.

The Yugo's dont have chromed bores and chambers, but are damn nice rifles, with heavy barrels and recievers.

Romanian WASR's are actually pretty good guns. They come in and have to have the mag wells opened up for standard mags, but some of them may be hit or miss. Usually end up as a good shooter though, but may or may not have quality control issues. They make a hell of a good beater.

The bulgarian models are the shit. Enough said.

The Tatal isnt a bad rifle at all. Its well executed for what it is, I just prefer the classic look that we see with the Russian/Bulgarian and WASR rifles. My biggest gripe is the wire folder stock.

I purchased an "Allied Armaments" AK with a "No Dak Spud" receiver, and I LOVE it. Its a polish underfolder, purchased brand new in the height of the panic, for $1000.

I feel really good about my weapon, but if I were to buy again I might go with a non underfolder. Its really cool, but not very effective for carefully aimed shots.

Having never fired another AK (Aside from the S12) I can only say that mine is a perfect 10 because it is mine. :D

Best stamped AK out there that's "Available"... or at least was... was the Vepr. I had a hunch something like this gun control panic crap would go down so I bought four of them before the election, an x39, a 5.45, an x54R and a 12 gauge. My only regret is not getting a couple more of them. They used to run around 500$ from Centerfire for the intermediate guns, which was actually less than my LGS was charging for WASR-10's. There's a lot of hoopla over getting a square cut Vepr, frankly it's a bunch of bull, slant cut is just fine given modern stock options (like Bonesteel, excellent stocks). They do cost money to convert tho, so if you're opposed to that go with a WASR or a Yugo.

The only AK I have that I would consider "higher" quality than my Veprs is my SLR-101, and even at that there are things I like better about the Veprs. Veprs have thicker barrels than the Bulgarian guns and the quality on the finish and fit is superior to even the Bulgarian rifles. The weight of the guns is the only downside, yes, they are heavy, but once you get used to it it's not that bad.

Around here all AK's are insanely expensive, WASR's are still trading around a grand, Yugo's are well above that.

• Like 2

I think its time for everyone to calm down. No ban will take place. Not on magazines or on rifles of any kind. I doubt anyone will slow down on their manic impulse buying though. I refuse, absolutly refuse to buy any mags or ammo for any of the outrageous prices that are current. Hopefully soon all of this non-sense will bottom out and for the most part will go back to normal.

Best stamped AK out there that's "Available"... or at least was... was the Vepr. I had a hunch something like this gun control panic crap would go down so I bought four of them before the election, an x39, a 5.45, an x54R and a 12 gauge. My only regret is not getting a couple more of them. They used to run around 500$ from Centerfire for the intermediate guns, which was actually less than my LGS was charging for WASR-10's. There's a lot of hoopla over getting a square cut Vepr, frankly it's a bunch of bull, slant cut is just fine given modern stock options (like Bonesteel, excellent stocks). They do cost money to convert tho, so if you're opposed to that go with a WASR or a Yugo.

The only AK I have that I would consider "higher" quality than my Veprs is my SLR-101, and even at that there are things I like better about the Veprs. Veprs have thicker barrels than the Bulgarian guns and the quality on the finish and fit is superior to even the Bulgarian rifles. The weight of the guns is the only downside, yes, they are heavy, but once you get used to it it's not that bad.

Around here all AK's are insanely expensive, WASR's are still trading around a grand, Yugo's are well above that.

Yeah I think a lot of people saw that there would be a panic buy in the future. The problem I think is most people didn't have the money to buy early sad.png

I know if I had the money I would of added to my collection before all this...

With the way ammo is I haven't even been able to afford to go to the range to do practice shooting since early December.

Edited by Tool_of_Society

Zastava PAP M70 2nd generation with scope rail on side, not 1st with railed dust covers.

Quality is on par with an Arsenal in my book.

Worth every penny if you can find them less than $1k.

Edited by armory
  • Like 1

I, for the most part do love my Saiga. I can get WPA ammo here local for 4.88 per box. So thats not too bad. I am not as in to retrofitting my AK to make it an AK as much as I was for my Saiga. I used to be a AR guy. 14 years in the service will do that to you. But now, once the ban settles down I will most likely get a nice 2nd gen yugo pap or bully. I love the durability of them. Some people swear by Aresenal, and they make a fine product. But, correct me if Im wrong, they are upgraded Saigas of some sort right? I really want to get a AK that I can easily pick and choose what furniture I can put on it at will. Im doing fine on magazines so far. I have six 30 rounders and will pick up another two more this weekend. They are the Bulgarian made poly ones and are only 12 bucks at a local store.

My Arsenal is quite a bit nicer than my converted Saiga. You won't find any sign of a "conversion" on these rifles. There are no holes for the extra trigger pins or the holes for the hanguard on the bottom of the receiver. I can't evan tell it was welded. Some people claim they are imported in a different configuration than the "sporter" Saiga's. The fit and finish is superior to a sporter or converted Saiga. Now I'm talking about an Arsenal (Las Vegas not Fime group) SGL2161 and a Saiga that was converted by Century that I bought second hand. It also has a nicer fit and finish than either of my Saiga shotguns too.

edit... There is no hole for the BHO either.

Edited by im_n2_vws

I must admit I love my Romanian AKM.I think its different for you guys but here in the UK we can have them straight from the Cugir factory in Romania with original receivers and double stack high cap mags etc.Dare I say it but mine shot better out of the box than my Saiga Mk/AK-104.Granted the finish may not be quite as good but with a Soviet slant brake and furniture fitted and an Izhmash bakelite mag slapped in it is about as close to a Soviet AKM as you can get, over here at least.Heres a pic of the two together :)

post-44524-0-22709100-1361398953_thumb.jpg

Just realised in this pic its got a 74 Style muzzle brake and both have alloy special forces alloy mags fitted .

Edited by richUK
  • Like 1
My Arsenal is quite a bit nicer than my converted Saiga. You won't find any sign of a "conversion" on these rifles. There are no holes for the extra trigger pins or the holes for the hanguard on the bottom of the receiver. I can't evan tell it was welded. Some people claim they are imported in a different configuration than the "sporter" Saiga's. The fit and finish is superior to a sporter or converted Saiga. Now I'm talking about an Arsenal (Las Vegas not Fime group) SGL2161 and a Saiga that was converted by Century that I bought second hand. It also has a nicer fit and finish than either of my Saiga shotguns too.

edit... There is no hole for the BHO either.

You wont find any welds, as there isnt any. My buddy removed the finish on his inside the receiver where the thought they would reside and couldnt find any. Nobody really knows how they come in, but there is only so many options.

I must admit I love my Romanian AKM.I think its different for you guys but here in the UK we can have them straight from the Cugir factory in Romania with original receivers and double stack high cap mags etc.Dare I say it but mine shot better out of the box than my Saiga Mk/AK-104.Granted the finish may not be quite as good but with a Soviet slant brake and furniture fitted and an Izhmash bakelite mag slapped in it is about as close to a Soviet AKM as you can get, over here at least.Heres a pic of the two together smile.png

attachicon.gif2013-02-03 10.44.42-1.jpg

Just realised in this pic its got a 74 Style muzzle brake and both have alloy special forces alloy mags fitted .

Nice rifles Rich, but I will add that the difference in bbl length should have a little to do with it. Im not saying thats the reason at all why one shoots better than the other, but may be a contributing factor. But the Rommy guns usually are good shooters, at least my old one was.

I, for the most part do love my Saiga. I can get WPA ammo here local for 4.88 per box. So thats not too bad. I am not as in to retrofitting my AK to make it an AK as much as I was for my Saiga. I used to be a AR guy. 14 years in the service will do that to you. But now, once the ban settles down I will most likely get a nice 2nd gen yugo pap or bully. I love the durability of them. Some people swear by Aresenal, and they make a fine product. But, correct me if Im wrong, they are upgraded Saigas of some sort right? I really want to get a AK that I can easily pick and choose what furniture I can put on it at will. Im doing fine on magazines so far. I have six 30 rounders and will pick up another two more this weekend. They are the Bulgarian made poly ones and are only 12 bucks at a local store.

Arsenal takes the Saiga and does a basic conversion of furniture and moving the trigger group up, while popping on a pistol grip.

Arsenal takes the Saiga and does a basic conversion of furniture and moving the trigger group up, while popping on a pistol grip.

I dont believe they do anything to the guns, other than put in 922r parts for compliance.

It may have been an SGL-10 at one point? There was a time when they imported sporters with the front end converted, but still had the sporter ass end. And its hard to say if the Saiga sporters that K-var sold were imported by Arsenal. All the SGL 21's and 31's Ive seen have not had filled holes where the old trigger was, among other things. Heres some pretty interesting threads on them, for what its worth.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70376-arsenal-sgl-21-has-mil-spec-barrel/

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/69227-arsenal-545x39/

Edited by Captain Hero