My old Pioneer VSX-D814 just died, letting out some smoke and smell in the process. Pounding some NIN, as it should be...

I'm considering jumping to an Emotiva XPR-5 and UMC-200.

Anyone on here have experience with Emotiva? Their reviews and customer feedback are stellar, but more opinions are always welcomed!

I have all of the above, but fortunately my consumer level amp died playing some hardcore shit! (In fact, "Lighter Shade of Gray" is one of my favorite songs).

My Crown XLS-2500 running my double 18 cab didn't whine about the NIN, neither should you, sissy! ;)

What else were you pounding besides NIN???f0ckers.gif

Is that two smiles boning? Creepy...

Started the evening out mellow... Some Flo Rida (I cry)... Trick Daddy (I'm a thug) Some Too $hort (Various)... Then switched up to metal... Metalica (Master of Puppets LP), Megadeth (Countdown to Extinction), then some Tool (Opiate, 10,000 days, Undertow)... Then NIN (Pretty Hate Machine, Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D, Year Zero, The Fragile Discs 1 & 2 (Disc two cooked it)...

Fuck all this.. I'm gonna grab my other 814 off of my third string HT and keep rocking! It's running some crap Bose acoustimass systems that I don't even like anyhow. Time to get it in the game with some JBL Pro equipment!

edit: 40 minutes later and it's like nothing ever happened! smile.png Glad I had a spare!

edit 2: To further blow your mind... Some Little Anthony is playing right now!

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1
That blows! Hehehehe I made a punny.

No really, that sucks ass blowing up your amp.

I don't know enough to offer any input on makes/models.

LOL... It's all good Chile... I'll ask you in the simplest way possible. What sounds better, 110w (on a good day) or 400w (everyday)?

The killed amp lived a full life... Bought it in '05 and have driven it WAY harder than it ever should have been... It's $25 identical clone Ebay brother is playing right now! :)

What else were you pounding besides NIN???f0ckers.gif

Is that two smiles boning? Creepy...

Started the evening out mellow... Some Flo Rida (I cry)... Trick Daddy (I'm a thug) Some Too $hort (Various)... Then switched up to metal... Metalica (Master of Puppets LP), Megadeth (Countdown to Extinction), then some Tool (Opiate, 10,000 days, Undertow)... Then NIN (Pretty Hate Machine, Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D, Year Zero, The Fragile Discs 1 & 2 (Disc two cooked it)...

Fuck all this.. I'm gonna grab my other 814 off of my third string HT and keep rocking! It's running some crap Bose acoustimass systems that I don't even like anyhow. Time to get it in the game with some JBL Pro equipment!

edit: 40 minutes later and it's like nothing ever happened! smile.png Glad I had a spare!

edit 2: To further blow your mind... Some Little Anthony is playing right now!

What????? No Priest???? No Crue???? Dude I'll say a prayer for you tonight......000.gif

Max,

I've had very good luck with Emotiva equipment, I'm running an XPA3 for my front stage and 2 UPA200s for surround duties, the amps have performed flawlessly.

I also have a UMC-1 for a processor and while I had an issue with my 1st one it was replaced and this one works great, before the UMC1 I had an MMC1 which worked great as well.

They are a small company located just south of Nashville, their customer service has been outstanding, I have visited them and they are all a great bunch of folks.

The equipment is hard to beat for the price.

Emotiva is not bad if your ears are gone from shooting guns. I have a couple of old Scott tubers feeding some Polk SDA speakers playing vinyl. Just depends on what you are shooting for I guess. Receivers are good for home theatre as long as they feed a real amp.<br />

I like that old school power....

post-22401-0-72924400-1361078794_thumb.jpg

Due to my ears ringing so loud that I couldn't sleep, I had to give it up. I have gotten rid of all but three of the smaller ones. So clean, but hard to use responsibly when they will get down like that. I got a lot of joy out of shutting people down who thought they were loud. Doing it with some AC/DC was even funnier. Thunderstruck!

ETA: My Dad always used concert equipment at home. Peavy CS800s, 2600s, Gauss speakers, Altec horns, 16 channel board, etc.. Van Halen was insane on his setup.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1

I have a mint Pioneer SX-1010 and some other goodies as far as vintage equipment goes, but I keep that stuff at the house.....if you really want to pound out some tunes, those old amps don't really put out. For the Tromix shop, I use a pair of QSC amps running 725wpc, both channels driven at an 8ohm load and another identical unit at 500wpc. For a "shop radio", the setup is substantial.

Tony

post-1323-0-74445400-1361086179_thumb.jpg

post-1323-0-04887000-1361086244_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Tony has the right idea!

I'm running a OLD Sansui AU-89 Linedriver with a old DVD player acting as a CD player, and 2 400watt infinity towers with a self powered 250 watt sub. That old Linedriver is a beast for surviving in a garage environment, and pumps out enough that it popped the tweeters on the towers once already. I'm not sure what it pumps out, but I don't turn it up over 1/2 way anymore.

And when I say its old I mean my father picked it up second hand when he was in the service, so its as old as me or older.

I woke up Saturday morning feeling like I may have had too much to drink... :/ Sadly, there ain't no smoking going back into that old receiver!

I cracked it open and was surprised to find a cooling fan that I had never once noticed running (and 2 still good fuses). I have a feeling that fan died of old age (I would have replaced it as PM long ago if I knew it was in there) and cooked the processor. I found a reset procedure for Pioneer digital era amps, which allowed the main relay to fire, but the display never came up and the output relay never closed. When it went, that chlorine smell of smoked electronics filled the room and the case was nearly too hot to touch. I was simply pushing a consumer level integrated amp way harder than it ever should have been.

As far as JBL goes, I've got a SR-4719 (Dual 18" 2241H subs) for my .1 channel off of my 2440 watt Crown (nuts is an accurate description). L80Ts for rear surround, 240Tis for front mains, a pair of L100Ts for center, and 4 Control 1s for the 7.1 channels (as of yet unused). All drivers, cabinets, and grills have been restored.

I agree that Tony has his head on straight in regard to the shop stereo! Puts my $80 RCA shelf system to shame and then some!

Southern: That is the exact opposite of what all of my research has shown... Most people wouldn't make a comment about an amp's SQ, then mention playing vinyl on it. However, I understand that everyone has their own thing and respect that. My thoughts on receivers are the same as yours. I bought the 814 in 2004 or 2005 long before I had the means for separates and it does have full pre-outs, which was on my mind even back then. I will confess that my Dad's Pioneer Elite SC-27 is a very impressive piece of equipment for the price and certifications it carries. Makes his L300s romp like his old Sansui G-8000 used to. Not bad considering that they both cost about the same in "new at the time" money ($1200/ea).

evl: THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! I went Phoenix Gold and Adcom but always admired the USAmps, they were just TOO expensive (I say that having paid $1400 for my ZPA, not that you didn't get what you paid for). I still have my PG ZPA 0.5 (White), ZX-350 (White), Adcom GFA-4404 (White) and 4304 (Black) and Adcom line drivers... I also have another highly under appreciated anomaly, an Audio Art 50HC (white)... Always wanted a 100HC to match it! I still love car audio! I get my hearing checked every year at work and I am still considered to have excellent hearing. I usually don't do "prolonged" exposure which is the real killer. I also ALWAYS use my hearing protection when running power equipment or working out in the plant. When I lose my hearing, I want it to be from fun!

I always had a thing for white car amps and black cars... Guess I just like the black and white look!

I do car 12v. really slow in my area as its over saturated. But man I have a hard time competing with sonicelectronics.com for pricing. They dam near my cost. Some of my distributors have gone to prefered dealers so I have lost out on alot of product available as I dont keep and buy 10k worth of product a month or a year. One local keeps pusing me boss products. I laugh every time.

I used to run JVC, Kenwood, Clarion and others, many others now my primary's are kenwood. And I can pick up the others depending on wait and shipping.

Good to know! I'm trying to piece together a CHEAP system for my TJ. It's a soft top and I never lock the doors... Cost must be low so when it DOES get stolen, I won't cry a river.

Boss is some garbage and you should be laughing at him! But... In the case of that project, acceptable garbage is exactly what I'm looking for. Mounting height is actually my limiting factor because I'd like to get the sub amp under the backseat to at least pretend to hide it. Last time I looked into that market (which was a while ago) the Lanzar (another great company gone to the dogs) VCT2310 was my front runner. If I get 1/8th of the rated power I would be happy.

There's nothing like riding in a mobile concert hall. I my mind misses it, but my ears don't.

If it don't rock, I don't roll and if I'm not rowin' I ain't goin'!

Tunes and stick shifts, two requirements of life! 200 clean watts running some quality drivers with a 4cyl T-5, or 5000 watts with a V8 T-56, it don't matter. ;)

i had an old Audiobahn amp that a friend gave me i hooked it up all worked well for 5 min then the amp went poof and a ploom of smoke came out of it. just like yours.

this is the inside of my old amp see where the + rem - connections are its all burnt up and brown on the motherboard.

IMG_0733.jpg

i ended up buying an Alpine MRX-100 i wired my Alpine Type X 10" sub for 1000w rms goodness i even have the test sheet from Alpine my Unit did 1063 watts at 14v

well i had a small premade garbage sealed box for the 10" and honestly it did not hit well at all i was severely disappointing, but i did a bit of research and found that the most important part of a Subwoofer, amp and box combo is actually the box!

i went to Home Depot and bought a 47x97" board of 3/4" MDF and i used a box calculator to build my box to spec, tuned to 36hz and the right amount of air volume i forgot that number lol.

please dont make fun of my cuts i did the best i could with a jigsaw and this was my first box i made another box with a table saw my friend had and it took 1/10th the time and it all came out perfect on the first try but alas no pics of said perfect box since it was built for my friend.

heres the mock up of my box before i glued it together.

IMG_0799.jpg

and here is the set up all finished and working ( i did not carpet it because the box didnt come out perfect and ill be making a new box)

IMG_0804.jpg

well the difference was so dramatic that i almost could not believe it. ok put it this way before with the sealed box and sub going maxed out bassing as hard as it could w/o distortion and i still could barely hear the thump of the bass from outside of the Benz with the doors closed let alone anything at all from the in the house, now it makes all the windows in my house shake and rattle.

Long story short $30 worth of MDF a saw and some really horrible carpentry work is still %1000000000000000000000000000 better then the same priced premade garbage boxes

There's nothing like riding in a mobile concert hall. I my mind misses it, but my ears don't.

If it don't rock, I don't roll and if I'm not rowin' I ain't goin'!

Tunes and stick shifts, two requirements of life! 200 clean watts running some quality drivers with a 4cyl T-5, or 5000 watts with a V8 T-56, it don't matter. wink.png

i keep my systems in my slow cars i dont like the extra weight on my fun car it makes it slower

Haha... Audiobahn! It isn't bad if you don't mind getting what you paid for. I have a pair of $99 (for both) DVC Audiobahn 12s in a freebie sealed box that aren't too bad for what they are, I also had a Poweracoustik 100w amp that served its purpose well for many years. If you're not asking the world, or willing to pay for it, they do OK. A LONG WAY from the oldschool USAmps, PGs, and your much newer Alpine.

EACH of my 2241Hs in my HT cab ran me about $500 + the ~40 ft^3 JBL cabinet. That's actually a really good deal if you shop around a bit.

I love audio... and guns.. and beer... Life is good!

hell yea!

i actually have a 10" infinity 200w all in one compact sub and amp and it actually sounds pretty good right now i have it set up in my room i have a PC powersupply feeding the amp and i have and red and white audio cabled hooked up the the TV sound ouput and my surround sound hooked up to the optical port behind the TV im lucky my TV send audio signals to both ports at the same time all i had to do was set the low pass filter on the Amp to 80hz and i left the small 100 watt 8" sub my surround sound came with hooked up.

so far it sounds great i just need to find a place to hide this ugly dell power supply lol