Hornady triple defense 410

Yeah, I was talking about a judge too. Right now I still think pdx is the best for both, but it's SO expensive! I saw a post about PDX410 hulls separating too. Is like to shoot a couple hundred rounds to insure their reliability but insure don't have the $$$ for that. I think a paradox choke and pdx would work good.

• Like 1

I got a shitload of the PDX1 when it first came out, and then another shitload of the 3" PDX1 when that came out. Four "Defense Discs" and 16 BBs. Good stuff and I don't care what Box-o-Truth says!

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1
Personally, I'd stick with slugs or 00 Buckshot. This link is for testing in the Judge pistol, but he talks about the ammo. used in a long gun, too.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot53.htm

Box o truth is very good, but his 410 testing is way out of date. 410 loads were very weak and there were very few choices prior to the judge's popularity. People made the assumption that because all 410 ammo on the market was weak, that 410 could only ever be weak. Available ammo has improved dramatically since he made those. He has a few prejudices that make me doubt that he will do a followup with the choices on the market now. I hope I am wrong though. I'd love to see TNoutdoors9 compare judge ammo options. People have achieved some very good performing handloads or small batch production using larger diameter pellets or slugs in .410, but I don't remember where to find the data I read. There is a guy who has a couple 410 lever guns and has made a good personal website showing testing of various loads. This video gives a very informal comparison of a few choices.

As of press date, for common commercial loads, Federal's 4 pellet 000B load would be my choice. Better grouping and penetration than PDX and OOB. PDX would be second choice. OOB fits too loosely in .410 making for bad grouping and can't take best advantage of the limited space in the hull. The OP link to hornady ammo is worth considering too it looks like. It may well move up to position #1 in the cue.

I have been able to use a lee mold for 40 S&W/ 10mm, and was thinking that stacking 3-4 of those in a 410 shell would be a good load, but I hadn't done the math on how the weight work out in a 410 shell at safe pressures. IIRC, they measure about .410" in diameter. This seems pretty close to what Hornady is offering, but with an HP slug in the front. I'd like to see if the base of that front slug is hollow, and if so if it is designed to obturate into the rifling. Red333 sent me a few very cool cast HPs in the same caliber from a fancy Mihec HP mold that would work for the front of this type of load. Maybe he can make some fancy 410 ammo?

I was given a lee loader in .410, but haven't used it. I am tempted to sell it since they are going for abotu $100 atm, but it is also tempting to make some judgemental ammo first.

• Like 1

A comment on penetration. While 12-15" is clearly desriable, I would still rather have 4 or 5 ~.35 caliber projectiles punching into an assailant than 1.38 or .45 caliber going 15.

The biggest concern to me with these is the terrible groupings of many of the loads. It seems to me that a stacked foster or minnie ball type of load could use the rifling to advantage. It might require building the back slugs of different structure or lead BHN because of the impact with the preceding slug(s) another way to accomplish this could be to make a full length shot cup wad with ribs that interlock with grooves in the sides of the stacked solid slugs. The shotcup could engage rifling, and impart spin to all of the slugs. A single sabot for multiple bullets.

• Like 2