Walmart starting to stop selling ammo?

Just 3 weeks ago I bought 3 420 round m855 cans from Walmart. Today, I can't even find the webpages for them on Walmart's site. According to the only thing I can find on any Walmart page, which are the old reviews for it, the caption at the top of the review, Walmart no longer sells the Federal 5.56 62 green tips in 420 round cans. It says, "this product is no longer available at Walmart". The same for Federal 55 grain, Federal American Eagle and I can't even find the page for Tula 55 grain boxes. In fact, I searched their website and if you type in .223 ammo or anything like that, you won't see their ammo's pages. You have to use Google it now by name and the link for Walmart will still show up like that.

I don't get it, I used their site to find ammo just a couple weeks ago. It seems they've pulled it all offline, but why?

Edited by socom688

My local walmart has nothing. Not one single box of ammo in the case. Been that way for a while. Not sure what to make of that.

Edit: They did have shotty shells. No bullets of any kind. Being Texas, I am finding that odd.

Strange... Down here in the Southern Alabama & Mississippi, ammo goes on the shelf at WalMart and immediately comes right off due to the line of people waiting for it.

Yes, line of people, people who know what day(s) & time(s) ammo deliveries are scheduled.

And this is even with the posted 3 boxes per person/per day.

As for many of the bulk ammo deals that were being offered, e.g. CCI Mini Mag in Plano ammo can.

They are either back ordered for the foreseeable future, or simply no longer available to WalMart and many others, e.g. Academy Sports.

If such are not available, then why bother to advertise or list online?

It just makes them waste their time fielding phone/email requests about the products.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1
Back door gun control. Next up... the EPA to claim that lead on shooting ranges is hazardous to the water table run off.

That's been in effect for years! Waterfowl hunters in many areas were banned from using lead shot, which is why steel and bismuth shot is available.

Several places I've heard of have had trouble with the EPA before, too. This is ongoing, not "coming soon". mad.gif

If such are not available, then why bother to advertise or list online?

It just makes them waste their time fielding phone/email requests about the products.

But wouldn't it have been pulled a month ago? Nothing has changed for over a month as far as demand, yet they just now pull it to avoid answering questions? We are talking about a giant corporate business here, they wouldn't just change policy regarding answering questions to help out a few store employees who work in the sporting goods section. Plus answered questions = profits.

My local walmart hasn't had ammo of any quantity since the 08 election, and now there are only a couple of boxes of odd ball shit, and I mean literally a couple. I said fuck them a long time ago, there are plenty of other places to get what I want. I mostly like the idea of supporting my favorite local gun shop, they'll sell to me for a small profit, and order whatever I want, they have sources that I don't. It's a good idea to help these folks in business, we're gonna need them!

Fuck walmart bad_egg.gif

I've been buying ammo almost every morning at Walmart on my way to work (.223, 5.56, 7.62x39,22lr,etc).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This statement is meaningless, as you do not identify where you are located in the post, nor in your profile. But you have plenty of company latley.

Edited by AA re-cvrd

My local walmart used to have ammo, now, all they have is shotgun ammo. However, the shelves are there, they are just empty. I talked to one guy who said the same, people know when its due to arrive and line up in droves to purchase it.

• Like 2

I have almost a dozen Walmart stores in my area (Jacksonville Florida/SE GA area) to choose from and ALL of them are sold out. Same thing with people waiting in line for deliveries to rape it. The 3 box per day has been useless also since all they do is bring friends now. Even my local Gander Mountain has a line outside every Thursday morning with people waiting with the hopes to get some ammo.

• Like 1

Hey, I've a wide variety of tinfoil haberdashery, and even wear them once in awhile for short terms.

But I really just don't see WalMart permanently halting the sale of ammo and/or firearms... I hope I'm right.

IMO, there is just too damned much money to be made.

They invested a lot of time and money together with companies such as BlackHawk and others to start offering accessories with their new AR15 Sporting Rifles.

ARs and other hot item firearms are returning to displays, and they too are snapped up immediately.

Yesterday, If I'd had the money, I could've picked up a measly assortment of 9mm, 38spec & the last box of .45apc from a local WalMart.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

Here they get 9mm, 40, 38, 45,and 380 in but it sells quick. 22 lr goes pretty fast too, I never see 7.62 or 223 any more.

They were unboxing a new Bushmaster M4 in 223 the other day when I was trying to get some ammo. Guy said it could be mine for $947. It did not stay there long as it was gone the next day. Damn a 1000 rounds of ammo for it cost what the gun does!

Back door gun control. Next up... the EPA to claim that lead on shooting ranges is hazardous to the water table run off.

That's been in effect for years! Waterfowl hunters in many areas were banned from using lead shot, which is why steel and bismuth shot is available.

Several places I've heard of have had trouble with the EPA before, too. This is ongoing, not "coming soon". mad.gif

I am aware of the hunting aspect. I wasn't referring to that. The EPA only provides guidance to shooting ranges at this point that I'm aware of concerning lead in soil contamination. The EPA can determine on a whim that the PH level in the soil is out of a desired range and finally shut them down. This is something the Government has been wanting to do for a very long time.

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/epa_bmp.pdf

• Like 1

This is what I hear as a worker.

1. After Sandy Hook they had a Teleconference that they were going to stop selling "assault rifle's" such as AR-15's and any "military" rounds.

2. About 2 weeks later that was reversed, we figure that the came to the conclusion it wouldn't be the best move damage (PR) wise.

3. We are still getting ammunition and firearms, the ammo dries up within hours I know I've personally watch 13 Federal 550 packs disappear within 4 hours (1 box limit also)

It's mostly supply and demand if ANYTHING they unfortunately want universal background checks so more people go to big box stores to make purchases.

I think I can address what is happening at Wal-Mart. They buy in bulk at a very low price, warehouse it, distribute it to their stores. What you are seeing is what remains of their warehouse inventory. When this is gone, the ammunition manufacturers have no incentive to sell to Wal-Mart at deeply discounted prices, and thus the warehoues will remain empty. As long as the manufacturers can sell all they can make at a higher price than Wal-Mart will pay they have no incentive to sell to Wal-Mart. Things will ease up in a year or so IMO. Sorry, but if you didn't stock up in the years leading up to this you will be paying some very high prices and looking intently for your ammunition. This post represents my humble opinion. Feel free to rip me. :)

• Like 6

1. After Sandy Hook they had a Teleconference that they were going to stop selling "assault rifle's" such as AR-15's and any "military" rounds.

2. About 2 weeks later that was reversed, we figure that the came to the conclusion it wouldn't be the best move damage (PR) wise.

3. We are still getting ammunition and firearms, the ammo dries up within hours I know I've personally watch 13 Federal 550 packs disappear within 4 hours (1 box limit also)

It's mostly supply and demand if ANYTHING they unfortunately want universal background checks so more people go to big box stores to make purchases.

What part of SE MI do you work in and have you seen any .223?

I think I can address what is happening at Wal-Mart. They buy in bulk at a very low price, warehouse it, distribute it to their stores. What you are seeing is what remains of their warehouse inventory. When this is gone, the ammunition manufacturers have no incentive to sell to Wal-Mart at deeply discounted prices, and thus the warehoues will remain empty. As long as the manufacturers can sell all they can make at a higher price than Wal-Mart will pay they have no incentive to sell to Wal-Mart. Things will ease up in a year or so IMO. Sorry, but if you didn't stock up in the years leading up to this you will be paying some very high prices and looking intently for your ammunition. This post represents my humble opinion. Feel free to rip me. smile.png

Probably the most reasonable explanation. Since waldoworld won't pay one cent more for ammo that other places are paying double for...

What part of SE MI do you work in and have you seen any .223?

Bad Axe Huron County, .223 is dried up, .308 is dried up, we get 7.62x39,.40,9mm,.45, .380 sporadically and of course all of the odd rounds are in stock, Caro has a far better and Bigger Firearms and ammo selection though. Randy's Sporting Goods typically has had some ammo they are our biggest sellers of Firearms also Dunhams up here is okay I know they had .223 BULK BOXES a few weeks ago but they were gone before they hit the shelf, I asked if I could take ammo out of the unopened crates and they said go for it. I haven't looked recently though.

Edited by Tehcrayz
  • Like 1

Where the hell are your wall marts?

The shit hole one here occasionally has slugs or buck shot. Handful of .270, .300, maybe 30-06. Never have they had x39 or x54R. I dont think ive ever seen .308 there either.

Either way if they have anything its overly priced and they only allow 3 boxes per sale. It aint worth it.

That and the inbread retards working there have no fucking clue what the hell they are doing.

Racegal and I tried to find some ammo there yesterday in our town... no pistol ammo to speak of, didn't get her .380. Hardly any rifle or shotgun.... I was at least (almost) pleasantly surprised to see a few 100 rd value packs of that bullshit winchester universal...but only in 20 ga. So I said damn I better at least get one of those for my S-20. NO 12 ga except just a very few overpriced boxes locked behind glass.

This is the beginning of the end. Time to oil up the ol Versa Mec and get busy...

• Like 1

My local Wally World had 7.62x39 loaded up on their shelf earlier this week, and they haven't had it on the shelf for at least a month. It lasted two days with the three box limit. Also had .45 Auto Tulammo, 12ga Winchester Super X 00, and some other misc. calibers that have been absent. None were there this morning.

Well I hope some of you are right, and some of you are wrong. If Walmart's prices increase, it will be a permanent increase across the industry IMO. If Walmart no longer has the power to influence price and had to cave, there's no going back, at least not for a long time.

Went to one of our local WalMarts this evening, besides the usual assortment of rifle hunting rounds and some shot shells, there was nada on the shelves.

Shipment arrives at tonite at 8pm, hits the aisle about 9pm, line will start forming about 830pm.

Tomorrow morning there will be scraps left, wait a day and repeat.

Ours got in some x39 and .223 Tulammo only. Gone within hours at a 3 box limit. A couple have gotten crafty. Buy 3, take it out to their car, come back in, buy 3 more. The AR set was grumbling about it being Tula, but my PSA upper don't care. It's like my AK....happy with whatever hits the chamber.

Haven't had a chance to call BVAC yet. I heard their production was slowly coming back, but still have a backlog.

Like most places they do not know what they are getting or even when they are getting it. I was at a local Walmart earlier this week and pickings were slim. I asked the employee what is going on and he said they just get shipments in... whenever. In speaking to him, it turns out he's a 2nd Amendment advocate and has no idea why the shortage. Another guy shows up to see whats on hand and joins in the conversation. He points out the governement has been buying up over a billion rounds over the recent months. We get into a conversation and the Walmart guy goes about his business and come back, there was a delivery and " Who wants .223 ? " . Of course we all did. There was also .40 cal, and .308. 3 boxes per person max. Today I go by and there was a large shipment of 9mm. Unfortunately I found out too late. Another Walmart employee told me he sold over 200 boxes of Federal 100 round boxes today for , I believe $23.00 a box.