Izhmash Saiga .410 History

The Saiga .410 is the first shotgun imported by Izhmash and their second AK-style weapon after the 7.62x39mm.

But the question comes up about the generation dates and specs of the Izhmash Saiga .410. I was hoping we could compile a list of specs from our pool of .410s to get a better idea.

Suggested format:

Manufacturer Year (Prefix): 094

Importer: Big Bear Arms, Dallas, TX (1993-1994)

Import Year: No stamp

Gas Plug: Single Setting

Gas Puck Style: Old

Recoil Spring Dust Cover: None

Bolt Hold Open: None

• Like 1
Kind of like a gun registry, probably not to good of an idea.

Besides, I think everyone sold them when the price was right!!

Or maybe the guy is just trying to figure out when the first one was imported or who all the importers are?

Unfortunately I never bought a .410 so I can't play along

• Like 2

Or maybe the guy is just trying to figure out when the first one was imported or who all the importers are?

You might be right, ask WIKI

Not a registry... just a history. The Saiga 410 has several quirks about it that are not really documented anywhere. That makes finding parts or the right parts difficult. This is mainly to help new owners figure out what they got based on what others have. After gathering some information I want to outline a generation break-down of what was offered and when for the Saiga 410, and possibly a guide to help in updating, modifying, and meeting 922r compliance.

If people don't want to openly post this kinda info, I understand... but it's counter-productive to what forums should be for... providing information that can help others.

• Like 3

I bought it from the original owner that bought it at a gun show, new in the box. The picture isn't very clear but the serial number begins with 93 and the import date is 01. As far as why it waited that long to be imported, I don't know?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/im_n2_vws/100_0009.jpg

Edited by im_n2_vws
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've got one on layaway and I'll post tomorrow when I go look at it again.

I know its an '06 import, has a BHO, and 2 position gas plug but that's all I know so far.

Can the DPH 6 POS plug I have as a spare for my S12 be used with my new 410?

I've got one on layaway and I'll post tomorrow when I go look at it again. I know its an '06 import, has a BHO, and 2 position gas plug but that's all I know so far. Can the DPH 6 POS plug I have as a spare for my S12 be used with my new 410?

Pretty sure the 12 gauge plug is too big for that little .410 hole....

I've got one on layaway and I'll post tomorrow when I go look at it again. I know its an '06 import, has a BHO, and 2 position gas plug but that's all I know so far. Can the DPH 6 POS plug I have as a spare for my S12 be used with my new 410?

Pretty sure the 12 gauge plug is too big for that little .410 hole....

I thought the gas system was the same size but maybe not..

That's what it looked like. Mines a 2006 model but I haven't picked it up yet. Hoping I can find at least two 10 round mags and I'll be good. I've also heard its pretty easy to modify saiga rifle habdguards to fit the 410. Sound right?

Here's my info:

Manufacture year - 06

Importer - RAA

Import year - 2006

Gas plug - 2 setting

Gas puck style - new

Recoil spring dustcover - yes

BHO - yes

Edited by dubya
  • 3 months later...

I'll play

Manufacturer Year (Prefix): 2003

Importer: RAAC

Import Year: 03

Gas Plug: 2 settings

Gas Puck Style: new

Recoil Spring Dust Cover: yes

Bolt Hold Open: yes

S-410_Final_zps63d8d222.jpg

sKott

• Like 1

Here is some more info about the first 410 Saiga.

Back in 1994 when Saiga's first came out I purchased a 410 with the option to purchase a scope/mount set up for the side rail which I did. When the 410 arrived it came with 2 scope/mounts. If I remember correctly it was a fixed 3.5 power with a reticle similar to the Mosin Nagant PU sniper scope. I think the rings and scope tube were one piece and mounted directly to the scope mount. The tube was about 6 inches long, straight and had your basic turrets, nothing fancy but functional. I sold the Saiga a few years later along with one of the scope/mount and kept the other scope/mount till 2002 when I sold it at a gun show.

• Like 1

The Saiga .410 is the first shotgun imported by Izhmash and their second AK-style weapon after the 7.62x39mm.

But the question comes up about the generation dates and specs of the Izhmash Saiga .410. I was hoping we could compile a list of specs from our pool of .410s to get a better idea.

Suggested format:

Manufacturer Year (Prefix): 094

Importer: Big Bear Arms, Dallas, TX (1993-1994)

Import Year: No stamp

Great post. I missed it when it was first posted. My very first intro to Saigas was when I saw my .410 and bought it from a friend over ten years ago. First I had ever heard of an AK shotgun. Best $50 I ever spent! He was having cycling probs and had written it off as "Russian junk". I knew I could probably fix it and he didn't want it. Being an AK fan since the early 70's this was a no brainer for me!

I have made several attempts here in the past to drum up conversation about the subtle changes and differences in these guns as they have evolved. I thought it would also be more informative to encourage people to post pics along with their specific information on their Saiga .410's It would be great to have an "evolution" thread on every caliber and guage I always thought, and have them stickied in their respective forums. Perhaps this History thread can end up being the one for the .410 and I'll try and make time to start some in the other forums.

In sticking with the suggested format here...

My S-.410

Manufacturer Year (Prefix): '94

Importer: Kalashnikov USA, Port St Lucie, FL

Import Year: '99

Some suggested additions I can think of: (other valid differences I've seen)

Ammo Designation: 3" Magnum (goes hand in hand with gas system but it is stamped on the receiver...)

Sights: Fixed rib sight with only a brass bead threaded into front. (I added a surplus adjustable rear sight to the dust covertook out the bead, and installed an elevated AK FSB)

Barrel Length: 20 1/2"

Stock Muzzle Device or Choke: Extra Full Ported Choke, the only one that came with mine.

These ported chokes were imported on the early .410's and are slightly tighter choked than the normal factory full. I have both and can add the muzzle end I.D. on each if this will be helpful. I also have the factory rifled choke or "Paradox", and a 7 slot flash hider. The brake is one I had modified from an AK '74 style brake.... re-bored and threaded for the .410 factory LH threads.

Any different Russian Mags: (besides the factory 4rd it was imported with in the USA) Izhmash 10rd's, Prodiz 10rd "Counter", and a rare Prodiz Green Translucent 10 rd mag.

I'll play

Manufacturer Year (Prefix): 2003

Importer: RAAC

Import Year: 03

Gas Plug: 2 settings

Gas Puck Style: new

Recoil Spring Dust Cover: yes

Bolt Hold Open: yes

S-410_Final_zps63d8d222.jpg

sKott

Great pics and great work as always SKOTT! 027.gif Nice mags too! Don't see many of those 10 rd counter mags, I wish I hadn't sold a couple of mine.

You inspired me to get all my .410 stuff out for some pics today to add to the thread. I still want to post a couple more of the old style gas system and piston when I get time, maybe tomorrow.

For now though...

L & R

post-1293-0-18458400-1375771554_thumb.jpg post-1293-0-27785700-1375771983_thumb.jpg

Various muzzle attachments:

post-1293-0-39070500-1375772014_thumb.jpg

Stamps / Markings:

post-1293-0-58745900-1375772093_thumb.jpg post-1293-0-89171200-1375772131_thumb.jpg

No it doesn't come anywhere close to touching the shot while it's passing through. The "shot column" as it's called, is contained within the plastic shot cup or by other means until it leaves the barrel and travels a given distance from the muzzle (15 - 20 feet or so with a plastic shot cup), where the cup then peels back and the pattern spreads. I find my wads / shot cups downrange as much as 25 yds and sometimes imbedded in the target at that range. Also if you look closely at the opening in my brake, it has been enlarged to about 9/16", or actually .588" to be exact..... much larger than the .410" I.D. of the barrel at the muzzle.

Here are some links with some good info on the subject.

Good pics here... http://azballistics.com/page2.html

Another type...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/ammunition/2009/11/shot-shell-review-first-look-federals-new-prairie-storm-pheasant-loads