How Different Are They From My Saigas?

Polish, Yugoslavian, Romanian, East German, Chinese, Bulgarian, the list goes on & on. I understand on how these countries got there license from Russia to make their version of the AK. What I do not know or understand is how different are they really? I'm in the market for original wood furniture, FCG's, and other AK 47-74 parts. I have finally found a really good source for everything I need at unbelievable low prices. I have researched this forum and know what some parts that will work and what y'all are using in your rifles. What I want to do is mix & match from various countries to covert my Saiga 7.62, .223 and 12 into my own unique AK traditional versions. So, i guess my question is, will most of these countries AK parts work with or without extreme modifications? Also, I just acquired some East German 7.62 mags. I traded a couple of boxes of .22lr & .45 ammo for them. These are in excellent shape. Just curious on the deal I got. Are these considered good quality steel mags? I've read other sources and has been vague on the reviews. Just want to know what y'all think. Thanks

E German magazines are about the highest quality AK mags ever made, especially their steel mags.

There are hundreds of AK variants, even more detailed variations among former eastern bloc countries. There are more AK based designs than the average AK fan would ever have any idea about. Not alp were licensed Soviet designs, and some deviated from standard blueprints - Yugoslavia and China, especially.

The problem is that everybody who ever tries to compile a "book of the AK" tends to get a lot of information wrong.

For purposes of getting spare parts for or modifying your Saiga externally, the closest match is the Bulgarian AK-74 series. E. German AK-74 parts also show up from time to time - E Germany was ordered to destroy their entire communist arsenal upon reunification. It's rumored that Germany still has a huge warehouse of AK-74, AKM, and Wieger parts kits that are not being sold due to political reasons.

Thanks for the info. While I was waiting for some of this forum's knowledge, I continued to research and found a really good thread that pretty much answered my questions. Only thing is that they noted East German pretty far down the list as far as quality. Everywhere else, I've read that East German is probably the best you can get. Nevertheless, I think I have enough parts to remain in compliance while returning these rifles to a more traditional, and original AK. There is way to much plastic and mods out there that really ruin the Kalashnikov reputation. I was heading down that road when I bought my 12 (f-ing newbie) Now that I have worked on these weapons, I've realized the error in my ways. Hungarian and Bulgarian furniture are already on the way. Still debating on the Russian or Bulgarian FCG. Mainly the hammer. All other traditional parts are in waiting to be`restocked. On another note, I've got some interest on a NEW Zastavia Pap M92. Imported by Century. I've read good things about this pistol but, I am really gun shy about Century Arms. Any thoughts?????

E. German AKs were some of the highest quality. The surviving parts kits are proof of it. Not sure where that person got that information - perhaps simply because E. German AKs are just not all that common.

Century does almost nothing to the M92 or M85 pistols. Because they are pistols they don't require 922r work. They come almost completely as-is from Zastava or Serbia.

Century really has built very few AKs in comparison to those they imported. They imported huge numbers of Romanian-made rifles - Century never built any of the Romanian rifles they imported. They just did the 922r compliance parts work, or mag well conversions. About the only rifles they actually built (usually subcontracted, actually), were the small numbers of Polish AKMS and AK-47, Yugo M70AB1, and the infamous Tantal, and Bulgarian AK-74 builds.

• Like 1

Thanks mancat, Well I've decided to get it. Guess I'm gunna have to be filing out that Form and getting that ball rolling, cuz I see a sbr in my future. As far as E German. i have several mags, FCG, and some furniture. The mags is what I'm most impressed with. Out of all the steel ones I've had or handled, these are very well built. They payed great attention to detail. Just look at there welding.