do you guys run your Saiga wet or dry?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dubya I like you because you ask good questions. In my opinion I would never ever use gun grease for it attracts more dirt and debris. I also wouldnt recomend wd-40 because it too will attract dirt. I

White lithium grease, light coat. Nothing in the gas block.

I generally try to stay dry when I'm shooting at targets just for fun. There have been a few times while out deer hunting that I've shot when wet.  

Dubya I like you because you ask good questions. In my opinion I would never ever use gun grease for it attracts more dirt and debris. I also wouldnt recomend wd-40 because it too will attract dirt. I use CLP and just put a thin bit of lube on the contact points, mainly on the bolt parts that slide inside of the bolt carrier. Other than that the Kalashnikov platform has such loose tolerances it really doesnt need oil but I like just a little bit. Every body is different in this aspect and like what they like. I doubt there is any right answer for this so try the above advice and see what you like.

• Like 1
I use CLP and just put a thin bit of lube on the contact points, mainly on the bolt parts that slide inside of the bolt carrier. Other than that the Kalashnikov platform has such loose tolerances it really doesnt need oil but I like just a little bit.

Yeah i figured just the rail contact points with some light oil. They're like a glock, not the most accurate but they go bang every time because of their "loose" tolerances.

Gas tube dry. I apply a light coating of CLP on contact friction points. After a couple hours the CLP will be mostly soaked up and that's when I toss a little white lithium grease on the bolt and the bolt carrier rails. I use a bore snake and a brush to clean the gun every time I get home from the range but I only feel the need to lube once every 3 or so trips.

My Saiga 7.62x39 I run dry, it's done fine so far.

For my Saiga 12 I put a thin coat of Hoppe's oil on the bottom of the bolt carrier, on the rails, and have the recoil spring soaked, because it tends to rust easily.

For my Saiga 12 I put a thin coat of Hoppe's oil on the bottom of the bolt carrier, on the rails, and have the recoil spring soaked, because it tends to rust easily.

So general consensus is a little lube won't hurt anything, and i agree. Now about the recoil spring (and not to thread jack my own thread !) do you guys clean or soak or lube that? Or just run it? I clean the barrel, chamber, rails (little bit of shavings), and gas tube but haven't touched the recoil spring. I would think it needs a cleaning of some sort once in awhile but definitely not every range trip or even three. Opinions?

If you wanted to you could dunk your ak in a 50 gallon drum of oil and it would run just fine. you could run with no oil and it would run fine. use a little bit of oil on the contact points but for the most part any excess oil is just gonna attract dirt and unwanted debris. when i clean my recoil assembly, i disassemble it and wipe it down with cll then reassemble. Its not an ar-15 that needs lube. you could sprinkle sand inside the reciever and call that lube.

So general consensus is a little lube won't hurt anything, and i agree. Now about the recoil spring (and not to thread jack my own thread !) do you guys clean or soak or lube that? Or just run it? I clean the barrel, chamber, rails (little bit of shavings), and gas tube but haven't touched the recoil spring. I would think it needs a cleaning of some sort once in awhile but definitely not every range trip or even three. Opinions?

I only clean my recoil spring every 1k rounds or so, which is when I take everything apart, and clean it all. (clean it everytime I shoot it, then every 1k rounds I clean every nook and cranny of it)

I'd do the same with the S-12, but the recoil spring seems to start rusting very quickly, so it has to stay wet, I just check it every week or so.

Alright, what exactly is a good cleaning agent and lube for the recoil assembly? I haven't had one apart but I'll tinker around in the morning. Im diligent about keeping my guns clean and i just oiled the contact areas on the rails with the small packet of oil Kimber supplys when you buy one of their rifles. Works fine on my $1500 Kimber's so i think it'll protect my Saiga's just fine :)

Thanks again, i appreciate all the wisdom.

Take a look at Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics on youtube. He shows how he runs his AK. No moving part should ever run dry and wd40 is not a good lubricant. It has been know fact that it would sip into the chambered bullet and ruin the gun powder. Pull the trigger and you have a click but no bang

Edited by tony71

I have a bunch of those M1 grease pots in the cleaning box. I use that where the bolt rides on the carrier, and spray the rest of the innards with silicone lube. I only scrub it thoroughly after shooting Yugo M67, but that's been few and far between since the Yugo dried up. Otherwise, it's simply shot down with Powder Blast, a clean patch in the barrel for powder fouling, then a little CRC Silicone Lube in the FCG/rail area.