The import ban was separate, and was passed in '89. Between '89 and '94, 922r nonsense was the name of the game, even as it is now. The sunset provision applied to the AWB of '94 (or maybe parts of it - I don't recall with certainty) - the '89 ban did not sunset.

Pre-'94 had a lot more relevance prior to the expiry of the ban in '04. A lot of businesses were destroyed by the AWB - for example, Intratec. If you have a Tec-9 with a barrel shroud and threaded barrel, it is "pre-ban." (unless those features were added after the sunset, or, if such a thing exists, it was a LE/MIL marked gun made during the ban). Between '94 and '04, stuff that looked too evil and was called an "assault weapon" was banned for production and distribution in the US, and only the old stuff was legal. That stuff all became legal to produce and distribute to the general public again in '04. So, there are pre-ban Cobray M11/9 pistols - and tons of post-sunset clones by at least a couple of companies that are (in terms of "evil" features) identical. Note that the same firearms with the same features were and are still unlawful to import - hence the 922r game, essentially removing enough foreign parts to make firearms "US made."

Prior to the expiration in '04, pre-94 high-capacity magazines held great value - those made during the ban years are now lawful to own (in states without their own unconstitutional bullshit), along with those made before and after it.

I don't know how it is now with the recent passage of that giant stinking pile of horse shit in New York, but pre-94 firearms with features, and high-cap magazines were highly prized in that state as a ban identical or nearly identical to the old federal law was and is in force in that state.

Edited by Shandlanos

Perfect description of the New York thing. I remember back in 94'-04' when the pre 94' stuff was priced throught the roof and then the prices started to drop like a rock after 04'. I see your point on the 922r deal. But would this not be a whole new slate and there is no such thing as preban as of right now because there is no official federal ban in place like the ones in NY, CA etc?

Perfect description of the New York thing. I remember back in 94'-04' when the pre 94' stuff was priced throught the roof and then the prices started to drop like a rock after 04'. I see your point on the 922r deal. But would this not be a whole new slate and there is no such thing as preban as of right now because there is no official federal ban in place like the ones in NY, CA etc?

What "this"? I don't know what you're asking. If you want me to predict what legislation might be passed - sorry, the crystal ball is in the shop.

No idea what may or may not be passed, and whether or not there will be a grandfather clause, and if so, if it will ban transfer of pre-ban items.

What "this"? I don't know what you're asking. If you want me to predict what legislation might be passed - sorry, the crystal ball is in the shop.

No idea what may or may not be passed, and whether or not there will be a grandfather clause, and if so, if it will ban transfer of pre-ban items.

If I thought you could predict sometthing, I would be asking you about the lottery before I would this topic! Just looking for different views on the subject.

Edited by LOVE MY SAIGA!