Catamount Fury, the new Chinese Saiga 12

back closer to the OT... This gun is a win for us either way:

1) it could turn out to be a decent gun, or a gun that can be made decent

or

2) it can be a cheap piece of crap

Either way we win because it gets people aware that shotguns can be fed by box mags, and vary in other ways. Sooner or later someone will look at a KSG and a Saiga and say "I want whatever you get when those two have a baby and it goes on a diet."

Also, as long as there are cheaper alternatives, not only are they increasing awareness and demand, but they hold down the prices. Remember how the 030 040 models were looking to cost around $1500+, and then they dropped to $1k over night. Even pricey alternatives (v12) keep prices down and features up. I am sure Vepr would have less features and cost more if it were not for the 030/040s too. And Adkal. Sooner or later winchester will want in, and Mossberg and Rem will be losing market share. I don't expect those guys to offer a feeble toy when they finally wake up. I look forward to the 4.5 lb 26" Rempup 8700.

• Like 6
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, if it sucks - word will get around soon enough. If it doesn't - the brand name "Catamount Fury" is likely to discount the platform by a couple hundred bucks. Personally, I'm not all a fan of Chi

back closer to the OT... This gun is a win for us either way:   1) it could turn out to be a decent gun, or a gun that can be made decent   or   2) it can be a cheap piece of crap   Either way

Good thing you typed that on an american computer....

Posted Images

back closer to the OT... This gun is a win for us either way:

1) it could turn out to be a decent gun, or a gun that can be made decent

or

2) it can be a cheap piece of crap

Either way we win because it gets people aware that shotguns can be fed by box mags, and vary in other ways. Sooner or later someone will look at a KSG and a Saiga and say "I want whatever you get when those two have a baby and it goes on a diet."

Also, as long as there are cheaper alternatives, not only are they increasing awareness and demand, but they hold down the prices. Remember how the 030 040 models were looking to cost around $1500+, and then they dropped to $1k over night. Even pricey alternatives (v12) keep prices down and features up. I am sure Vepr would have less features and cost more if it were not for the 030/040s too. And Adkal. Sooner or later winchester will want in, and Mossberg and Rem will be losing market share. I don't expect those guys to offer a feeble toy when they finally wake up. I look forward to the 4.5 lb 26" Rempup 8700.

You nailed that. I actually hope they aren't so great. I love shooting these things, but take a great deal of pride in making a turd a treasure.

• Like 2

the parts breakdown is almost identical to the S12. I wouldn't be surprised if it does take the same mags with minimal modification.

My personal preference is not for Chinese AKs.. I know a lot of people say they make a great AK, but they are also known for using poor steel in various important locations on their commercial firearms. You will find examples of bolt locking lug and trunnion locking lug failures on Chinese AKs, firing pin failures, etc. These are almost unheard of on any other type of AK, even down to the shoddiest Egyptian or Romanian.

I just hope that if we see more of these, that the QC is far better than it was in the last few years of the Norinco AKs and SKS rifles.

Edited by mancat
My personal preference is not for Chinese AKs.. I know a lot of people say they make a great AK, but they are also known for using poor steel in various important locations on their commercial firearms. You will find examples of bolt locking lug and trunnion locking lug failures on Chinese AKs, firing pin failures, etc. These are almost unheard of on any other type of AK, even down to the shoddiest Egyptian or Romanian.

That'd be my concern- shortcuts that lead to a pricey paperweight.

Hmmm...

Local FFLs are selling Arsenal Saigas for around $1200. When I bought mine, I thought it was pricey... now, they are just outrageous.

Makes me wish I bought 10 Saigas at $300 each a few years ago. I could have made about $900 profit on each in today's market- not that I'd gouge but seems like the Saiga has outperformed GOLD as of recently.what.gif

Edited by Vulcan

very intersting ijust looking at .pdf some parts look the same if parts interchange to saiga last round might come easy also bolt and carrier if parts become plentiful and cheap as most china parts do.

here is link http://stevespages.com/pdf/century_catamount-fury-semiautomatic-shotgun.pdf

furry II looks like it has magwell

Edited by bobabuee
Even Gayballs Extreme would've been a better name.

Sayin there is somethin wrong with loving balls???

I think catamount evolved from "canta " on the side o saiga, and fury is pretty asian, and I feel pretty badass when I shoot my saiga, so I feel it fits pretty good. I'm hesitant on quality etc but I not just gonna hate on it cause its named from like ten cultures away!!!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="GunFun" data-cid="873493" data-time="1362733145"><p>

One thing I just noticed is that it lists chamber length as 2.75" I consider that a major downgrade.</p></blockquote>

They shoot 2 3/4" along with 3"

I think catamount evolved from "canta " on the side o saiga...

The Russian characters, phonetically:

C - "SS"

A - "AH"

N - "EYE"

T - "G" (as in Gamma)

A - "AH"

"SS-AH-EYE-G-AH" - Saiga ***NOT "SEGA"! Everyone that says, "Sega," just sounds like an ignorant hick. And I live in Arkansas, born in Louisiana, descended from Texans! ...GOD bless Texas. 032.gif

• Like 1

catamount is any various medium-sized felines, such as the puma or lynx. The comment about loving balls I literally won't touch...

wont touch balls eh, thats aweeeeesome!!!

so does anyone actually have one of these in their hands (not balls, the shotty) lolz

One thing I just noticed is that it lists chamber length as 2.75" I consider that a major downgrade.

reaaaammmmMEEEEr!!! its all gravy babay ( unless the mags are short too)

The Russian characters, phonetically:

C - "SS"

A - "AH"

N - "EYE"

T - "G" (as in Gamma)

A - "AH"

"SS-AH-EYE-G-AH" - Saiga ***NOT "SEGA"! Everyone that says, "Sega," just sounds like an ignorant hick. And I live in Arkansas, born in Louisiana, descended from Texans! ...GOD bless Texas. 032.gif

shhhhh, dont fight it!!! yes, we arent saying it correctly, but we are in amurica, and if thats what folks call it, thats what it it is.....

its the right price, but i dont trust em. i thjink that is just a presell or something, i dont know that anyone has one in hand. and if they did, they woulda flamed it on here, or sung its praises here...

I'm just thinking that if the chinese manufacturer didn't think it could cycle 3" shells/ fire them without exploding warner brothers style, I am not in a hurry to remove more metal from the barrel and see if they are wrong. It also may not have along enough stroke to chamber the shells.

Side note- I hate that "murrica" or "Amurrica" meme. No one has ever said it that way ever. It is making fun of a stereotype that doesn't exist. kinda like how I never heard the word "mullet" until decades after they were out of style. The word only popped up when the idea was universally derided.

i thjink that is just a presell or something, i dont know that anyone has one in hand. and if they did, they woulda flamed it on here, or sung its praises here...

I would have thought by now someone would have chimed in with personal experience. Come on guys, would someone order one of these and give us an honest review.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

I'd as soon as consider a VEPR 12 at this point. Pricey- yes. But perhaps it evens out with the wash.

Besides- I'd rather NOT be wrong about the $850 entry fee and end up with a substandard piece. Nogt all that comes from China is bad. However, QUALITY is all over the map- and there is NO guarantee which end of the spectrum you'll get.

Edited by Vulcan
i thjink that is just a presell or something, i dont know that anyone has one in hand. and if they did, they woulda flamed it on here, or sung its praises here...

I would have thought by now someone would have chimed in with personal experience. Come on guys, would someone order one of these and give us an honest review.

Go for it!!!

• 2 weeks later...
If it works, we'll build with it. Looking forward to taking it apart at the shop, and range testing. "Catamount Fury" sounds completely second rate at this point. Whatever it may be - It is what it is. Looking forward to finding out whether it stands up or not.

Catamount.... Fury? Really!!!?

Exactly. The name alone doesnt really sound promising, but I can look past the S12 "clone" if it holds up. Hard to say at this point.

Well, if it sucks - word will get around soon enough. If it doesn't - the brand name "Catamount Fury" is likely to discount the platform by a couple hundred bucks. Personally, I'm not all a fan of Chi-Com copies of anything. I've spent time in China, and the best thing they've got going for them is a billion slave labor wage workers, who have no options, and no choices.

As far as I'm concerned, fuck the Chinese and their slave labor based economy. I've been there, and their system absolutely sucks. Fuck the Chinese. I will not build with their guns, I will not use their parts.

Done!

This is how I feel as well.

I'm going to ask again, because I never really got an answer.

It costs as much as an S-12, so what is the point?

I dont know. It'd be like buying a Mustang built in China for more money than the ones made here. I'll stick to Russian and Euro AK's. Thats my preference.