do veprs take akmags?

sorry if this has already been posted, but i'm planning on having a ak build done sometime next year, and i'm debating having it done on a vepr. i like them well enough, but having the conversion done on a vepr is contingent on vepr's taking ak mags. i've done a bit of googlfication but i don't really like the results, and i didn't see anything in this section. i do remember reading a long time ago that vepr 12's take s12 mags but not the other way around, and i'm not sure if that translates to x39.

so does anybody know if vepr 762x39's take ak mags?

thanks for the help

The Vepr will take standard AK mags so long as you file the catch down to enable them to lock in. Just like a Saiga, they put a fucked up mag catch on them so they cant take standard Ak mags. Other than that, you should be able to put a bullet guide in and file the catch and enjoy running them with standard AK mags.

• Like 1

Yes. I run Vepr 5.45 mags in my SGL-31. I share mags between my Arsenal and my Vepr. The Vepr mags fit a bit looser in my SGL, but thats due to the smaller rear tab that they have. I also run my Izhmash 10rd mag that came with my Arsenal, in my Vepr.

You shouldnt have to mod nothing on the Vepr mags other than room for a bullet guide to clear. And you may not have to do that depending on how the end result is. Filing the catch on a Vepr isnt any different than on a Saiga. It just took a bit more time as it has a tad bit more metal on the catch, as the catch is a tad taller to prevent the use of standard AK mags from being inserted and fully seated. I havent tested a 7.62 Vepr for standard mag fit, but they should actually try and seat, but the catch is what will prevent it from lockin in.

I dont ever mod the mags to fit a gun, but rather mod the gun to fit the mags. Unless is a S223. If you mod mags, you risk not being able to run them reliably in other guns due to the different tolerances of each individual rifle.

• Like 1

It should work. Try it and see. If it locks in then it should feed from it.

ETA: If its a Molot mag, you may or may not have to remove the built in bump, dependin on how it fits.

Edited by Captain Hero